Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Languages suited to ones personality

Tags: Personality
 Language Learning Forum : Cultural Experiences in Foreign Languages (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply
21 messages over 3 pages: 13  Next >>
Darklight1216
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4909 days ago

411 posts - 639 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German

Message 9 of 21
16 March 2011 at 5:22am | IP Logged 
Study Russian. It's perfectly masculine. :) I'm just kidding... unless you want to.

I took a language personality quiz once. As I recall, my love for reading, museums, and dark colors (and things I can no longer remember) suggested that I might like French, which is my favorite foreign language.

This is not one the one I took, but it's kind of fun.

http://www.selectsmart.com/FREE/select.php?client=top20langu ages

Ew, Greek, Latin, and Norwegian were my top matches. That's just terrible. I would never seriously study a dead language (although I do want to dabble in Biblical Greek) and Norwegian is spoken by like two people (no offense, everyone from Norway, it's a hyperbole).

Edited by Darklight1216 on 16 March 2011 at 5:28am

1 person has voted this message useful

Spanky
Canada
Joined 5765 days ago

1021 posts - 1714 votes 
Studies: French

Message 10 of 21
16 March 2011 at 7:21am | IP Logged 
malakhim wrote:
No offense to Japanese men, but I think that a lot of Japanese
youngsters these days speak a little girly and effeminate. That "shy schoolboy
attitude" which many Japanese young men exhibit is just strange from my point of view.
Is the Japanese language just not suited to my personality? If so, how can I make it
suit and reclaim my former love for the language?

malakhim wrote:
Yes there are certainly some manly speakers of Japanese, but lately it
seems that so many young males are talking much more effeminate than what they used to.
A Japanese girl I know even says that she thinks that too many young males nowdays
sound a little too gay.

Honestly, I do not think these are language issues you are being troubled by. I could
say more, but it would be misplaced here in a language forum.   

On the off chance that it is the language that is a little too "gay" for you, rather
than the speakers or the life choices (actual, perceived or implied) on the part of the
speakers, then just out of interest, how much "gay" would be okay by you in a language?   
This might help in knowing which manly, masculine language would better suit you.

4 persons have voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5190 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 11 of 21
16 March 2011 at 3:19pm | IP Logged 
It's hard to become or remain motivated to learn a language spoken by a culture that doesn't interest you, but I never thought one would stop wanting to speak AFTER reaching fluency because they thought the language didn't suit their personality. The culture may no longer interest you, but there are manly and womanly men and women in every language and in every culture.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5143 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 13 of 21
16 March 2011 at 4:47pm | IP Logged 
Darklight1216 wrote:

Ew, Greek, Latin, and Norwegian were my top matches. That's just terrible. I would never seriously study a dead language (although I do want to dabble in Biblical Greek) and Norwegian is spoken by like two people (no offense, everyone from Norway, it's a hyperbole).

Learn Norwegian anyway! There may not be more than 5 million Norwegians, but we talk a lot and we are very friendly to anyone trying to learn our language! Besides once you know Norwegian you will also understand Swedish and Danish. Go for it!
2 persons have voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6512 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 14 of 21
16 March 2011 at 4:48pm | IP Logged 
A few languages in certain cultures have special features used only by men or women, but apart from that I can't see any justification for dividing languages into masculine and feminine. However on a purely practical level it may be difficult to find suitable materials in certain languages (for instance scientific stuff in certain languages), so if you are the scholarly type this would speak against specializing in tribal languages. Learning to speak languages with many dialects or an opaque writing system will probably also be easier if you are willing to live abroad and speak all day long to the locals. And if you have a deeptly rooted egalitarian mind this might speak against learning Korean or Javanese (i.e. languages with intricate levels of politeness).

However you can learn languages in spite of any of these factors. For instance I do study Bahasa Indonesia although science is restricted to Wikipedia, I have learnt English even though I find the constant mutilation of foreign place and person names abhorrent, and I have spent a lot of time on Latin even though I am deeply sceptical about the Roman culture.

There will normally be pockets of relevant materials and examples of decent behaviour which you can thrive on, and any language can be used in different ways - if you don't want to sound like one group of native speakers then you just find some other persons to emulate.

PS to Solfried: your message above illustrates my last point - with two Norwegians in one room there will be at least two ways of speaking Norwegian, probably more!

Edited by Iversen on 16 March 2011 at 4:59pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

Spanky
Canada
Joined 5765 days ago

1021 posts - 1714 votes 
Studies: French

Message 15 of 21
16 March 2011 at 5:07pm | IP Logged 
Spanky wrote:
malakhim wrote:
No offense to Japanese men, but I think that a lot of
Japanese
youngsters these days speak a little girly and effeminate. That "shy schoolboy
attitude" which many Japanese young men exhibit is just strange from my point of view.
Is the Japanese language just not suited to my personality? If so, how can I make it
suit and reclaim my former love for the language?

malakhim wrote:
Yes there are certainly some manly speakers of Japanese, but lately it
seems that so many young males are talking much more effeminate than what they used to.
A Japanese girl I know even says that she thinks that too many young males nowdays
sound a little too gay.

Honestly, I do not think these are language issues you are being troubled by. I could
say more, but it would be misplaced here in a language forum.   

On the off chance that it is the language that is a little too "gay" for you, rather
than the speakers or the life choices (actual, perceived or implied) on the part of the
speakers, then just out of interest, how much "gay" would be okay by you in a language?   
This might help in knowing which manly, masculine language would better suit you.

Hmmn, I've given it a night in the hope that would provide me the wisdom to figure out
how a language can be "gay", or alternatively, to see either some explanation from the
original poster, or to see that the post had been moderated.

Malakhim, unless you meant to suggest that the Japanese language itself might be having
sexual relations with some other male language, I am assuming you are referring
negatively about the speakers rather than the language itself, and you just plain do
not like any behaviour which appears to suggest homosexuality or a lifestyle different
than your own?    If that is the case, good luck finding a language which is only
spoken by straight people.   

In any event, I am very surprised that it is still considered okay to use "gay" as a
negative reference.

10 persons have voted this message useful

jazzboy.bebop
Norway
norwegianthroughnove
Joined 5227 days ago

439 posts - 800 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Norwegian

Message 16 of 21
16 March 2011 at 5:11pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
Darklight1216 wrote:

Ew, Greek, Latin, and Norwegian were my top matches. That's just terrible. I would never
seriously study a dead language (although I do want to dabble in Biblical Greek) and
Norwegian is spoken by like two people (no offense, everyone from Norway, it's a
hyperbole).

Learn Norwegian anyway! There may not be more than 5 million Norwegians, but we talk a
lot and we are very friendly to anyone trying to learn our language! Besides once you
know Norwegian you will also understand Swedish and Danish. Go for it!

Nettopp. :)

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 21 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version