Gorgoll2
Brazil
veritassword.blogspo
Joined 4945 days ago

159 posts - 192 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*

Message 17 of 62
18 March 2011 at 12:23am | IP Logged 
I´m suffering this problem. I´m able to read English well, but my understanding is quite
weak. I´ve Asperger, therefore, I don´t get hear well sounds.
1 person has voted this message useful

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5229 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 18 of 62
18 March 2011 at 1:48am | IP Logged 
Since this idea of reading or listening to incomprehensible input seems to pop up regularly here, I'm really curious to see if there are people who seriously believe that someone, let's say a beginner, should slog through an incomprehensible book in the target language and hope to glean something by the end. Honestly, I think this is masochism. It's like those who advocate listening extensively to incomprehensible audio. Why do this when it is so much more effective to actively engage in reading with the help of a grammar book and a dictionary?

Frankly, I don't see the point of trying to guess the meaning of something when you can look it up in a dictionary. I recognize that when reading in the target language we might have to gloss over certain things so that we can keep moving along. But that's not the same as hovering over some words trying to guess what they mean. I think we have to strike a balance between laboriously studying a text and just enjoying a general overview and the sound or the look of words.

What I have always noticed is that the more work I spend actually studying the language the more I understand what I read and hear later. I'm sure most of us have experienced that "aha" moments when we read or hear some rather idiomatic expression and fully understand it. And that's because we've seen it seen it somewhere before in a grammar book or a dictionary. Then suddenly we hear it used for real. Now the next step is to use that construction ourselves. That's the real challenge and is probably the ultimate joy.
5 persons have voted this message useful

Darklight1216
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4899 days ago

411 posts - 639 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German

Message 19 of 62
18 March 2011 at 3:26am | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
Since this idea of reading or listening to incomprehensible input seems to pop up regularly here, I'm really curious to see if there are people who seriously believe that someone, let's say a beginner, should slog through an incomprehensible book in the target language and hope to glean something by the end. Honestly, I think this is masochism. It's like those who advocate listening extensively to incomprehensible audio. Why do this when it is so much more effective to actively engage in reading with the help of a grammar book and a dictionary?

Frankly, I don't see the point of trying to guess the meaning of something when you can look it up in a dictionary. I recognize that when reading in the target language we might have to gloss over certain things so that we can keep moving along. But that's not the same as hovering over some words trying to guess what they mean. I think we have to strike a balance between laboriously studying a text and just enjoying a general overview and the sound or the look of words.

What I have always noticed is that the more work I spend actually studying the language the more I understand what I read and hear later. I'm sure most of us have experienced that "aha" moments when we read or hear some rather idiomatic expression and fully understand it. And that's because we've seen it seen it somewhere before in a grammar book or a dictionary. Then suddenly we hear it used for real. Now the next step is to use that construction ourselves. That's the real challenge and is probably the ultimate joy.

That might, might work if you are, for instance, English speaker who studied Spanish several years ago, forgot it and rely heavily on cognates. However, I've looked at (reading isn't anything to close to what happened) Russian words to see if I could absorb something... no dice, unless it was transliterated and usually not even then.
1 person has voted this message useful

LLF
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 5379 days ago

66 posts - 72 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 20 of 62
18 March 2011 at 3:13pm | IP Logged 
Andrew C wrote:
mayfair wrote:
Andrew C wrote:
And if it can't help with such basic things, why should it help with more advanced vocabulary?

If you were an English learner and you knew all the words in that sentence except "advanced", do you think you could work out the meaning of that word by context? I would certainly think so.

I'm not sure you could - it might mean "complex", "difficult", "uncommon"...

I'm certain that you couldn't.

I've experimented with the "learn by context" method in both Spanish and Russian. IMHO, it's a waste of time since, as you point out, context rarely allows a unique meaning for each word. Even on those occasions where you can guess a word from context, that is all you have: a guess. And I always feel the need to be certain.

I now rely solely on the brute force approach: look up every unknown word in the dictionary, maybe waiting until the end of the paragraph to allow the full context to become clear. It's slow, but in the long run, far more effective.
2 persons have voted this message useful

PonyGirl
Groupie
United States
Joined 4818 days ago

54 posts - 70 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German

Message 22 of 62
18 March 2011 at 3:51pm | IP Logged 
LLF wrote:
Andrew C wrote:
mayfair wrote:
Andrew C wrote:
And if it can't help with such basic things, why should it help with more advanced vocabulary?

If you were an English learner and you knew all the words in that sentence except "advanced", do you think you could work out the meaning of that word by context? I would certainly think so.

I'm not sure you could - it might mean "complex", "difficult", "uncommon"...

I'm certain that you couldn't.

I've experimented with the "learn by context" method in both Spanish and Russian. IMHO, it's a waste of time since, as you point out, context rarely allows a unique meaning for each word. Even on those occasions where you can guess a word from context, that is all you have: a guess. And I always feel the need to be certain.

I now rely solely on the brute force approach: look up every unknown word in the dictionary, maybe waiting until the end of the paragraph to allow the full context to become clear. It's slow, but in the long run, far more effective.

Maybe I am just a "fly by the seat of my pants" person, but I don't really care if I know the exact difference in my TL between "complex" and "difficult." For a relative beginner, there is all the time in the world to learn that. Right now I am far more interested in getting a broad and useful selection of vocabulary. Once that is established, I can discover the finer points of "advanced" vs "difficult."

As many of you have said, I think that reading/listening is great if you are accompanying it with something more instructive. A grammar book is very instructive, but can only take you so far. Eventually you have to discover the widely diversified ways that it can be used in the language. Likewise, a novel will give you this diversity, but cannot be nearly as instructive.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5180 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 23 of 62
18 March 2011 at 4:40pm | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:
josht wrote:
Often, when you dig a little deeper, you'll find that many people who advocate learning "just by reading" (or some other input focused activity) actually do more than just that. Lingosteve, whom the original poster mentions, advocates just reading and listening (and using his commercial website). But if you read his blog, you will find that he confesses to reading through grammar books and other such materials. He says he doesn't worry about memorizing anything in them, but I think the very act of reading through such a work changes the situation. Even if you don't memorize every little bit, you're going to remember some things that you see, and that is going to have an effect on what you notice when reading real content.

I cannot overstate the importance of this.

The internet is full of people saying similar things -- telling you to do part of what they do, and ignoring a very significant component of their learning.

I've been told stuff in classes that I never really "learned" (in fact, I've completely forgotten it for months on end) but I encounter it and I recognise it.

I've learnt a lot of grammar by reading about or being told about it, then forgetting about it, and finally encountering it. Just encountering alone would never be enough, and it really riles me to have people telling everyone that they "learn by reading" when they've got a bookshelf stacked with grammar books....

I entirely and utterly agree with josht and Cainntear's advice: even the most "decorated" polyglots frequently have claims that virtually always turn out to be ponderable when you realize what they actually did.

Steve may claim he doesn't know much about Japanese grammar, but he lived there for many years and has been speaking it for around 40 years, so of course he knows how to use particles.

Benny may claim to have almost passed C2 examination within 3 months of living in Germany, but -- he's not hiding this fact, mind you -- he also spent 5 years studying German in high school.

It's quite possible that it's the little things people forget they did, forget to mention or perhaps don't even notice that make the most difference. The deliberate methods vary, but the automatic internal mechanisms are probably the real key to success.
7 persons have voted this message useful

koba
Heptaglot
AustriaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5667 days ago

118 posts - 201 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Hungarian, French

Message 24 of 62
18 March 2011 at 6:44pm | IP Logged 
Rennon wrote:

I've been watching "lingosteve" on YouTube quite a bit lately and he seems to be able to read Japanese novels and converse quite confidently, yet he claims he doesn't know what a participle is. This is just bizarre to think someone can speak a competent level of Japanese, a language with radically different grammar to English, without having understanding of such constructions of the language. The idea that an adult can just listen to a language (especially one that is so radically different) and just "absorb it" is quite strange.

How did you learn your first language? You learned it intuitively listening to it from your parents and people around you, that is, just listening, listening and listening. That's basicaly how methods like Assimil work, although there's still some grammar explaination every 7 lessons.

I can relate to how Lingosteve's learned Japanese. My first foreign language was English, and I started studying it on my own, doing an immersion (that is, watching movies, doing a lot of reading, etc), and that was all very intensively done, pretty much everyday I would have contact with the language much more than I would have with my native language, back then I had a lot of spare time to do it. From my experience, I can tell you that I have neither used grammar nor language books, until I was in a very high level and could speak it, in the word's general meaning, "fluently". Of course I still would make a lot of mistakes (as I still do), but I was speaking the language with a flow of a native and making very few mistakes. I could absorb a lot of different structures, grammar, expressions, etc, and that was all through listening and reading.

Therefore, I would say that if you already know a good deal of vocabulary and you can dedicate yourself to listening to a language as much as possible, that's the method you should go for. Not only you will acquire a good ear to the sounds of the language, but you will also acquire a feeling of how natives actually speak it, that's something no one can teach you, you have to be exposed to it long enough to learn it.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 62 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version