Diglot
United States
Joined 4953 days ago

37 posts - 51 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: DutchB1

Message 41 of 62
19 March 2011 at 6:13pm | IP Logged 
You can pick up things like word order, rhythm and euphony from reading a little bit beyond your skill level. Perhaps my biggest breakthrough period in Dutch came after I spent several weeks re-reading my intermediate grammar book, which was written in Dutch, for “pleasure.”   The form and content intermingled in my mind, and I found myself thinking in verb-final sentences, just like the ones I was (1) reading, and (2) reading about.

Children’s books, where the skill level is just challenging enough for you to work a little and enjoy the reward, are great.

At the other extreme, I recently tried to read an academic journal article about, I dunno, Middle Dutch sound shifts or something more arcane than I expected, and have become thoroughly bummed by all the advanced vocabulary. Now it’s textbook and dictionary time – no shortcuts.

3 persons have voted this message useful

amethyst32
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5448 days ago

118 posts - 198 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Portuguese, French

Message 42 of 62
19 March 2011 at 8:25pm | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
Since this idea of reading or listening to incomprehensible input seems to pop up regularly here, I'm really curious to see if there are people who seriously believe that someone, let's say a beginner, should slog through an incomprehensible book in the target language and hope to glean something by the end. Honestly, I think this is masochism. It's like those who advocate listening extensively to incomprehensible audio. Why do this when it is so much more effective to actively engage in reading with the help of a grammar book and a dictionary?

s allard wrote:

Well, I'm not sure if this person's experience of reading so-called incomprehensible input while taking a class and after having used various methods is really what we are talking about here. I totally agree that quite early in one's language studies one should start listening or reading authentic materials even is some of the meaning is lost.

I realise that what I did isn't the same as pure L/R. However, this person earlier made a point about it being "masochism" for beginners to L/R material that they don't understand. Incomprehensible is still incomprehensible regardless of any other methods being used, and personally I didn't find it torture or a waste of time engaging with materials that were way beyond my abilities. That and the fact that since it was asked - yes I *would* recommend it to a beginner with the caveat they have to be able to accept they won't understand much - if anything at all at first. If they can't appreciate it without comprehension then I agree the student would only find it frustrating and discouraging.

Edited by amethyst32 on 19 March 2011 at 8:27pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5884 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 43 of 62
19 March 2011 at 9:19pm | IP Logged 
Raye wrote:
At the other extreme, I recently tried to read an academic journal article about, I dunno, Middle Dutch sound shifts or something more arcane than I expected, and have become thoroughly bummed by all the advanced vocabulary. Now it’s textbook and dictionary time – no shortcuts.

I have a pretty good grasp of the pronunciation of French and I'm used to reading beginner books (200-1000 words). If I switch to the advanced stuff (material for native speakers) and really push through it for a time, I may not catch everything, but I do get a lot of practice with words and sentence structure. If I then switch back to the easy stuff -- I feel like I've made a measurable leap in progress. It's like jumping into the deepend when you're not ready. You're in over your head, but it sure does make the shallow-end look pretty mild afterwards.
2 persons have voted this message useful

CaucusWolf
United States
Joined 5071 days ago

191 posts - 234 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Arabic (Written), Japanese

Message 44 of 62
19 March 2011 at 9:58pm | IP Logged 
tractor wrote:
or to a "grammar-
drilling" based course such as FSI, Assimil does not seem very grammar oriented.

I have to dissagree with this assessment.(at least in regards to the Arabic MWA course) While FSI teaches grammar in the first book, it isn't grammar intensive. The grammar in the first MWA book even with the grammar explainations, forces you to figure out syntatic patterns on your own.   In the second MWA book there is no grammar explanations, rather there is grammar references for a grammar book if you're still unsure about something.   

Edited by CaucusWolf on 19 March 2011 at 10:07pm

1 person has voted this message useful

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5229 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 45 of 62
19 March 2011 at 11:57pm | IP Logged 
Rennon wrote:
Nevertheless, I suppose it just frustrates me so much when I try to read and I'm constantly trying to understand not only words but structures (Finnish being as different to English as it is). I can't "just read" something if I can't even get the basic gist of it (I've been studying Finnish for about 6-7 months now (more often than not, 6 hours a day) and still can't get the basic gist of even most children's books, so perhaps it's just me.)

But what do you think of this? Is there something I'm missing here?

There's something wrong with this picture. You've been studying Finnish 6 hours a day for 6-7 months. That's about 180 hours a month or over 1,200 hours. If you cannot get the basic gist of most childrens's books after all that time, I think that some questions have to be answered in terms of method or learning strategy.

I am of the opinion that 700 hours of study, preferably in the target country of course but not necessarily, should give a solid grounding in the workings of most languages. This is pretty much in line with estimates by most organizations such as the U.S. state department. Mind you, that does not mean you can chat away fluently in the language. But you certainly should be able to read simple texts.

Rennon
Finland
Joined 4802 days ago

8 posts - 8 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Swedish, Finnish

Message 46 of 62
20 March 2011 at 12:19am | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
Rennon wrote:
Nevertheless, I suppose it just frustrates me so much when I try to read and I'm constantly trying to understand not only words but structures (Finnish being as different to English as it is). I can't "just read" something if I can't even get the basic gist of it (I've been studying Finnish for about 6-7 months now (more often than not, 6 hours a day) and still can't get the basic gist of even most children's books, so perhaps it's just me.)

But what do you think of this? Is there something I'm missing here?

There's something wrong with this picture. You've been studying Finnish 6 hours a day for 6-7 months. That's about 180 hours a month or over 1,200 hours. If you cannot get the basic gist of most childrens's books after all that time, I think that some questions have to be answered in terms of method or learning strategy.

I am of the opinion that 700 hours of study, preferably in the target country of course but not necessarily, should give a solid grounding in the workings of most languages. This is pretty much in line with estimates by most organizations such as the U.S. state department. Mind you, that does not mean you can chat away fluently in the language. But you certainly should be able to read simple texts.

Yeah, well while this is a little different than the topic, it confuses me too... I just don't know what's wrong since I study so hard yet I just can't seem to digest things well at all. I'm really not that smart but I want to learn more than anything so I don't know why this is so difficult for me.

I suppose my studying is rather "all over the place" though, I just don't know how to systematically go about it, I'm here and there and my listening comprehension has been almost nothing up until a few weeks ago (I'm not really an "aspiring polyglot" or anything, so language learning is extremely new territory for me). But yeah, I'm not sure what I'm doing "wrong" or where to correct my ways or what to do to "properly learn", you know?

Gorgoll2
Brazil
veritassword.blogspo
Joined 4945 days ago

159 posts - 192 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*

Message 47 of 62
20 March 2011 at 1:02am | IP Logged 

Gorgoll2 wrote:
I´m suffering this problem. I´m able to read English well, but my understanding is
quite
weak. I´ve Asperger, therefore, I don´t get hear well sounds.

Which things have you read? I havne't Asperger, but sometimes I have problems with read
as well, then I chose the things which are in very short paragraphs, and a veyr
interesting subject therefore I can concentrate little bit better. If it's my school
work then I use some highlighters in pink (my favourite colour), yellow, green and
blue. This is for the key words, and it's very helpful when I read the infos the second
time, then it's possible understand better as well.

Have you a text to speech in your school? In my school we've this, and sometimes it's
great as well if you can't read because of for example concentration or some annoying
distractions.

Dear Kulientje, The brazilian education isn´t like Europe or US. And I´m from
Northeast, the most poor Brazil´s sector - Almost all the brazilian user in this forum
are southern, the richest part. And I´m at a very high level in Asperger. Even in
Portuguese my hearing skills are low. Thank you very much.

lingoleng
Germany
Joined 5097 days ago

605 posts - 1290 votes 

Message 48 of 62
20 March 2011 at 1:30am | IP Logged 
edit: removed verbose gossip

Edited by lingoleng on 20 March 2011 at 4:22pm

This discussion contains 62 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version