lukemarson
Belgium
Joined 4799 days ago

5 posts - 5 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 1 of 15
23 March 2011 at 10:40am | IP Logged 
Hello everybody,

I am a native English speaker who is looking to learn German for professional use and some basic interactions, such as shops. hotels and restaurants. I live in Belgium but work mainly in Germany and there are no "German for English speakers" courses that I can find (naturally). I want to find some software that I can use that can teach me useful German for the purposes outlined above.

If you require any more information or have any advice please feel free to reply. All information is gratefully received.

Best regards,

Luke
1 person has voted this message useful

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5815 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 2 of 15
23 March 2011 at 12:18pm | IP Logged 
Avoid software. I've never used a piece of software that genuinely taught a language.

(I'm not a luddite, I'm a Computer Science graduate.)
4 persons have voted this message useful

lukemarson
Belgium
Joined 4799 days ago

5 posts - 5 votes

Message 3 of 15
23 March 2011 at 12:21pm | IP Logged 
Do you have any other suggestions? I'm a business/IT consultant so I travel a lot and can't reall commit to a weekly class.

Do you think I should look for a tutor? My only problem is that if I'm away for several weeks I won't be spending any time learning without software. I undertake several projects so might not always be in the same every week.

It's not an ideal situation!

tractor
Tetraglot
Norway
Joined 5257 days ago

1349 posts - 2292 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, Catalan
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 4 of 15
23 March 2011 at 4:47pm | IP Logged 
I agree with Cainntear. The few pieces software that I have tried weren't any good either. If you travel a lot, I think
the best solution is something like Assimil or Living Language where you only have a small book in addition to the
CDs (which you of course convert to mp3 files or whatever) .
2 persons have voted this message useful

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5815 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 5 of 15
23 March 2011 at 4:49pm | IP Logged 
lukemarson wrote:
My only problem is that if I'm away for several weeks I won't be spending any time learning without software. I undertake several projects so might not always be in the same every week.

There's always books and CDs.

I'd recommend the Michel Thomas course to start with. It's all on CD, so once you've ripped it to MP3 it's even more portable than software. If covers the verb system really well, but doesn't really deal with nouns. It's a good start, nonetheless. I haven't gone past that, so I can't recommend what to use afterwards, but pretty much any book and/or CD course is better than a computer-based package -- they're all flash and no bang.
3 persons have voted this message useful

orion
United States
Joined 6825 days ago

622 posts - 678 votes 
Studies: German, Russian

Message 6 of 15
23 March 2011 at 5:10pm | IP Logged 
I'll second what the others have already said. The Assimil German with Ease course in conjunction with Michel Thomas would be a great place to start. I have never heard anything good about software based courses (Rosetta Stone etc). Pimsleur is also not bad to get you started on pronunciation. It is fairly expensive, so if you can get it from your local library and rip the CDs to your computer its not a bad way to go either. Good luck!

Rob_Austria
Heptaglot
Groupie
Austria
Joined 4806 days ago

84 posts - 293 votes 
Speaks: German*, Italian, Spanish, French, English, Portuguese, Japanese
Studies: Croatian, Mandarin, Russian, Arabic (Written), Turkish

Message 7 of 15
23 March 2011 at 7:05pm | IP Logged 
I have seen a few chapters of "Teach yourself German" and I really liked them (I haven't seen the whole book though). The language they used was very natural and deals with most of what you mentioned as being your target vocabulary. I have yet to find a software that comes even close to what most CD courses offer. Mostly it's just random pictures with some "games" and very little content.

P.S. My mother tongue is German, by the way.

zekecoma
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5148 days ago

561 posts - 655 votes 
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 8 of 15
23 March 2011 at 9:46pm | IP Logged 
I recommend Assimil German with Ease and Michel Thomas. Then later get the living
language books for German.

This discussion contains 15 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version