lukemarson
Belgium
Joined 4798 days ago

5 posts - 5 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 9 of 15
23 March 2011 at 9:49pm | IP Logged 
Hi all,

Thanks for your suggestions. I really appreciated the answers and it's certainly helped me. With a few long drives the CDs will probably be very useful.

Best regards,

Luke

p.s. If you haven't posted and have a suggestion please post it as I will keep checking
1 person has voted this message useful

lukemarson
Belgium
Joined 4798 days ago

5 posts - 5 votes

Message 10 of 15
30 March 2011 at 5:10pm | IP Logged 
Hi everybody,

It looks like Michel Thomas is a busy guy as Amazon are showing about 12 to 15 different audio CDs. Can anybody point me towards the best beginner one?

Thanks!

Luke

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4933 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 11 of 15
31 March 2011 at 1:47am | IP Logged 
lukemarson wrote:
Hi everybody,

It looks like Michel Thomas is a busy guy as Amazon are showing about 12 to 15 different audio CDs. Can anybody point me towards the best beginner one?

Thanks!

Luke

Here's how they're broken down on the Michel Thomas site: http://www.michelthomas.co.uk/german.htm

Start with the Foundation course. It includes the Introductory portion (course), which alone, won't do you much good.

R.
==

Edited by hrhenry on 31 March 2011 at 1:47am

2 persons have voted this message useful

HenryMW
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4977 days ago

125 posts - 179 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, French
Studies: Modern Hebrew

Message 12 of 15
31 March 2011 at 3:12am | IP Logged 
I print out the dialogues/grammar notes from FSI German for each unit so I can go over them and listen to the audio on my phone and do the exercises. It's surprisingly portable and only requires 10-15 pages per unit.

Max101
Diglot
United States
Joined 4940 days ago

9 posts - 29 votes
Speaks: English, Spanish*
Studies: German, French, Russian

Message 13 of 15
31 March 2011 at 5:43pm | IP Logged 
lukemarson wrote:
Hello everybody,

I am a native English speaker who is looking to learn German for professional use and some basic interactions, such as shops. hotels and restaurants. I live in Belgium but work mainly in Germany and there are no "German for English speakers" courses that I can find (naturally). I want to find some software that I can use that can teach me useful German for the purposes outlined above.

If you require any more information or have any advice please feel free to reply. All information is gratefully received.

Best regards,

Luke

Hello Luke, I personally have been in the same path learning German. I also dislike using language software, there just isn't anything good out there that is effective, affordable, and portable.For beginners I would start with Michel Thomas Foundation, then the Advanced, a set of CDs which you can rip to your iPod or mp3 player. Afterward you can try Pimsleur which is all audio that you can also rip to your music player and listen to. If you really want to learn beyond I would highly recommend Assimil, I am currently using "Assimil German with Ease" which is German for English speakers and it is phenomenal. Let us know what you decide. :)
3 persons have voted this message useful

budonoseito
Pro Member
United States
budobeyondtechnRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5608 days ago

261 posts - 344 votes 
Studies: French, Japanese
Personal Language Map

Message 14 of 15
31 March 2011 at 7:01pm | IP Logged 
This site was just recommended by a language blog.

http://www.dw-
world.de/dw/0,,2547,00.html

German is next on my list. I will also pick up audio materials at the library.

lukemarson
Belgium
Joined 4798 days ago

5 posts - 5 votes

Message 15 of 15
01 April 2011 at 9:43am | IP Logged 
Hi guys,

Thanks for everyone that posted additionally - all the information has been very useful.

Best regards,

Luke

This discussion contains 15 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version