Triglot
Groupie
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6327 days ago

98 posts - 117 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Afrikaans

Message 1 of 9
28 March 2011 at 11:12pm | IP Logged 
I am having trouble with a few sounds in Hindi and I'm hoping to ask for advice. I am having trouble with a few categories of sounds:

Aspirated vs. Unaspirated Consonants
I have trouble discerning and reproducing the difference between unaspirated and aspirated versions of the sound.

Ex: क vs ख, ज vs झ, ब vs भ, and च vs छ, so on.

Dental vs Retroflex (and their unaspirated vs aspirated differences)
I also have trouble discerning and reproducing the difference between the following dental/retroflex t & d sounds, in both aspirated and unaspirated:

ट ठ ड ढ
त थ द ध

The above 8 syllables are the ones thaat I have the hardest time discerning and replicating. What steps can I take to remedy the situation?

Edited by Gregy1727 on 28 March 2011 at 11:12pm

1 person has voted this message useful

horshod
Pentaglot
Groupie
India
Joined 5562 days ago

74 posts - 107 votes 
Speaks: Hindi, Marathi*, Bengali, Gujarati, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Turkish

Message 2 of 9
30 March 2011 at 2:05am | IP Logged 
Gregy1727 wrote:
I am having trouble with a few sounds in Hindi and I'm hoping to ask
for advice. I am having trouble with a few categories of sounds:

Aspirated vs. Unaspirated Consonants
I have trouble discerning and reproducing the difference between unaspirated and
aspirated versions of the sound.

Ex: क vs ख, ज vs झ, ब vs भ, and च vs छ, so on.

Listening to these sounds from native speakers again and again is an obvious solution.
But you can try holding a sheet of paper in front of your mouth when you pronounce
these sounds. When you make an aspirated sound, you will be able to see the paper blow
away from your mouth. (Although you have to make sure that you're not breathing out of
your nose at that time.) Or you could just hold your hand in front of your mouth.

I am trying to think what else could be done. I'll post here if I come up with
something. You can skype me (horshod) if you want to.

Edited by horshod on 30 March 2011 at 2:13am

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5803 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 3 of 9
30 March 2011 at 3:49pm | IP Logged 
I didn't get very far with Hindi, but I learned to pronounce these sounds fairly quickly.

The aspirated/unaspirated distinction I had had demonstrated to me in an English linguistics class with a bit of paper hanging in front of my mouth, as per horshod's suggestion. I personally found it more effective speaking onto my hand and feeling my breath as per horshod's second suggestion (looking at a piece of paper a couple of inches from my face gave me a headache). I would practice sets of alternating aspirated and unaspirated, or several repetitions of an unaspirated consonant followed by several repetitions of the aspirated one, or all the unaspirated followed by all the aspirated. Just lots of practice.

In order to pronounce the retroflex consonants right, I took the view that my tongue is merely a muscle, and any muscle can be trained. An important part of muscle training is stretching.
My tongue-stretching regime consisted of a sequence of repetitive sounds. I would start with an English T and go t-t-t-t-t-t, but as I did, I would move my tongue forward, bit by bit, onto the teeth, up the teeth to the tip of the teeth, then back down the teeth, along the roof of my mouth until I felt a slight tension. Then I would start going forwards again -- t-t-t-t-t -- back to the start and I'd switch to D (d-d-d-d-d) for a full set, then to N, then L.
Over the course of a week or so doing several sets of these exercises a day, I got to the point where my tongue could reach the retroflex sounds on the alveolar ridge no problem. Within 2 or 3 weeks I'd got to the point where I could do retroflex sounds off my soft palette (not a particularly useful skill, admittedly, I was just curious where the limits were!).

I fully believe that the only way to learn to discriminate new sounds is to learn to produce them, and learn words with them in. When you hear people say words you know, the brain can start to tie the sound in to the motion you make when producing the sound.

So I think speaking is the key to understanding.
2 persons have voted this message useful

edible2
United States
Joined 4772 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes
Speaks: English

Message 4 of 9
07 April 2011 at 11:05pm | IP Logged 
I agree with Cainntear- the most difficult aspect of learning to speak hindi is training your tongue to be more
flexible. You should really pay attention to the way your tongue strikes the roof of the mouth/teeth and the
throat. If after several tries you find yourself unable to pronounce words correctly, it's probably because your
mouth is physically incapable of making the nuanced sounds.

It's sometimes useful to see how these consonants are written phonetically. For example:

क = 'k' vs ख = 'kh'
ब = 'b' vs भ = 'bh' .. and so on

While I admit the addition of the 'h' sound may or may not help you, I would strongly recommend choosing one
sample word which starts with that consonant and practicing it's pronunciation till you get it right.

क = the same 'k' as in 'car' or काम = work, and pronounced 'kaam'
ख = 'kh' as in खराब

Google's translator has a great (if somewhat robotic-sounding) read-out feature which you can use.
Or if all else fails, hunt down a native (shouldn't be too hard I imagine) and listen to the consonants repeatedly.
And if (s)he's a good enough friend, (this may sound weird) ask him/her to explain how the tongue feels in the
mouth. Trust me, it works.

horshod
Pentaglot
Groupie
India
Joined 5562 days ago

74 posts - 107 votes 

Message 5 of 9
08 April 2011 at 1:51am | IP Logged 
edible2 wrote:

क = the same 'k' as in 'car' or काम = work, and pronounced 'kaam'
ख = 'kh' as in खराब

The 'k' in 'car' is actually aspirated. So it is effectively 'ख'. The only place the
'k' sound is not aspirated in English is probably when it comes at the end of a
syllable as in 'black'. I cannot think of an English word where the unaspirated 'k'
sound be followed by a vowel. And that is probably the reason why it seems so difficult
to figure out the difference between the aspirated and unaspirated sounds...
(Although, this does not hold good in India. In Indian English, p/k/c/t/ch are never
aspirated the way they are, in American or British English. That's probably one of the
reasons why Indian English sounds funny to the American/British ears.)

Also, the first letter in ख़राब is actually a completely different sound represented by
the letter 'خ' in the Arabic script. It has the sound of 'ch' in the German word
'Loch'. In correct Hindi this sound is written with a dot 'nuqtah' below 'ख' as 'ख़'.

Edited by horshod on 08 April 2011 at 2:03am

cntrational
Triglot
Groupie
India
Joined 4919 days ago

49 posts - 66 votes 
Speaks: Hindi, Telugu, English*
Studies: French

Message 6 of 9
09 April 2011 at 7:58pm | IP Logged 
Remember that aspiration in voiceless consonants and "aspiration" in voiced consonants aren't the same -- voiced consonants use "breathy voice", which means your glottis is looser, allowing more air through. It's similar to whispering. Voiced consonants cannot be aspirated, it's impossible due to what aspiration is.

gambi
New Zealand
Joined 4901 days ago

37 posts - 52 votes 
Speaks: English
Studies: Indonesian, Burmese

Message 7 of 9
10 April 2011 at 6:00am | IP Logged 
horshod wrote:

The 'k' in 'car' is actually aspirated. So it is effectively 'ख'. The only place the
'k' sound is not aspirated in English is probably when it comes at the end of a
syllable as in 'black'. I cannot think of an English word where the unaspirated 'k'
sound be followed by a vowel. And that is probably the reason why it seems so difficult
to figure out the difference between the aspirated and unaspirated sounds...
(Although, this does not hold good in India. In Indian English, p/k/c/t/ch are never
aspirated the way they are, in American or British English. That's probably one of the
reasons why Indian English sounds funny to the American/British ears.)

Actually, in English unaspirated consonants do exist but only when they directly follow another consonant as part of a consonant cluster. For example,

The 'k' in 'skin' is unaspirated
The 'ch' in 'stew' is unaspirated (When pronounced as in British or Australian English)
The 't' in 'Steve' is unaspirated
The 'p' in 'speak' is unaspirated

However, the aspirated forms of their voiced counterparts, ie. 'gh', 'jh', 'dh' and 'bh' simply do not exist in English.

Also, in my opinion the reason that Indian/South Asian accent sounds quite unique or even 'funny' to most Americans/Brits is not because the consonants are unaspirated. In other languages like Spanish and French, the voiceless consonants are also almost always unaspirated. I think it's the retroflex consonants and the intonation is what makes the Indian accent sound so unique to Westerners.

Edited by gambi on 10 April 2011 at 6:02am

horshod
Pentaglot
Groupie
India
Joined 5562 days ago

74 posts - 107 votes 

Message 8 of 9
10 April 2011 at 6:57am | IP Logged 
gambi wrote:

Also, in my opinion the reason that Indian/South Asian accent sounds quite unique or even
'funny' to most Americans/Brits is not because the consonants are unaspirated. In other
languages like Spanish and French, the voiceless consonants are also almost always
unaspirated. I think it's the retroflex consonants and the intonation is what makes the
Indian accent sound so unique to Westerners.

Yeah, I think you're probably right.

This discussion contains 9 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version