United States
Joined 4923 days ago

49 posts - 74 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Icelandic, Latin, French

Message 17 of 35
04 April 2011 at 7:13pm | IP Logged 
JW wrote:

Here is a little challenge for you. Write a very short (one or two paragraphs) composition in English using only
words derived from Germanic languages.

I think you will be shocked at how absurd and "un-English" your composition reads.

Probably not. I am aware of the etymology of the words that I use. I also lack the knowledge of another modern
Germanic language to make appropriate controls. I do know that English and Icelandic are probably extremes as
borrowing goes.

Try to create an English sentence using only Romance words, and better yet Romance grammar.

6 persons have voted this message useful

JW
Hexaglot
United States
youtube.com/user/egw
Joined 5917 days ago

1802 posts - 2011 votes 
22 sounds
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Ancient Greek, French, Biblical Hebrew
Studies: Luxembourgish, Dutch, Greek, Italian

Message 18 of 35
04 April 2011 at 8:13pm | IP Logged 
CS wrote:
JW wrote:

Here is a little challenge for you. Write a very short (one or two paragraphs) composition in English using only
words derived from Germanic languages.

I think you will be shocked at how absurd and "un-English" your composition reads.

Probably not. I am aware of the etymology of the words that I use. I also lack the knowledge of another modern
Germanic language to make appropriate controls. I do know that English and Icelandic are probably extremes as
borrowing goes.

Try to create an English sentence using only Romance words, and better yet Romance grammar.

Here is something you will find interesting:

"The following item shows what English would look like if it
were purged of its non-Germanic words, and used German-style
compounds instead of borrowings to express new concepts."

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.language.artificial/brows e_thread/thread/64be1eddf0fb796d/69250bac6c7cbaff?#69250bac6 c7cbaff

Edited by JW on 04 April 2011 at 8:15pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

OliSayeed
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4779 days ago

4 posts - 8 votes
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, Latin
Studies: German, French, Ancient Greek

Message 19 of 35
04 April 2011 at 8:33pm | IP Logged 
http://anglish.wikia.com/wiki/Headside

This is also interesting, and un-English sounding, but it would definitely be even harder to create a similar example
using only Romantic vocabulary (and, I suppose, grammar).
5 persons have voted this message useful

JW
Hexaglot
United States
youtube.com/user/egw
Joined 5917 days ago

1802 posts - 2011 votes 
22 sounds

Message 20 of 35
04 April 2011 at 8:48pm | IP Logged 
OliSayeed wrote:
http://anglish.wikia.com/wiki/Headside

This is also interesting, and un-English sounding, but it would definitely be even harder to create a similar example
using only Romantic vocabulary (and, I suppose, grammar).

Yes, that's another good one. Anglish reminds me very much of Frisian.

1 person has voted this message useful

GREGORG4000
Diglot
United States
Joined 5318 days ago

307 posts - 479 votes 
Speaks: English*, Finnish
Studies: Japanese, Korean, Amharic, French

Message 21 of 35
04 April 2011 at 8:49pm | IP Logged 
I love my cookie, it's so bulky and fresh. Have a bite of the cookie if you wanna. You will need strong teeth and a tough jaw, for it's full of nuts, berries, eggs, bugs, dirt, truly all kinds of muck. If you're a weakling, you won't have a way to deal with it. You'll stammer, wobble about, go berserk, then spit it all over my new tiling. It'll bother me, so I'll yell at you and smear mint frosting on your forehead. Then I'll kick you out of my house. But don't worry too much. Just go for it, kid!

I wonder how right this is...

Edited by GREGORG4000 on 04 April 2011 at 8:53pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

JW
Hexaglot
United States
youtube.com/user/egw
Joined 5917 days ago

1802 posts - 2011 votes 
22 sounds

Message 22 of 35
04 April 2011 at 8:56pm | IP Logged 
GREGORG4000 wrote:
I love my cookie, it's so bulky and fresh. Have a bite of the cookie if you wanna. You will need strong teeth and a tough jaw, for it's full of nuts, berries, eggs, bugs, dirt, truly all kinds of muck. If you're a weakling, you won't have a way to deal with it. You'll stammer, wobble about, go berserk, then spit it all over my new tiling. It'll bother me, so I'll yell at you and smear mint frosting on your forehead. Then I'll kick you out of my house. But don't worry too much. Just go for it, kid!

Wonder how right this is

Nice one. See how choppy, strange, and childish it sounds? Additionally, you really can't write anything the least bit sophisticated using only Germanic words...

Edited by JW on 04 April 2011 at 8:56pm

1 person has voted this message useful

GREGORG4000
Diglot
United States
Joined 5318 days ago

307 posts - 479 votes 
Speaks: English*, Finnish
Studies: Japanese, Korean, Amharic, French

Message 23 of 35
04 April 2011 at 9:11pm | IP Logged 
Indeed it is so. I'm quite eager to learn more about Anglish though, seems heedworthy.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6498 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 24 of 35
04 April 2011 at 10:37pm | IP Logged 
This thread is really about the Romance family, but English has for better or worse dominated the last part of the discussion, so I would like to add a few comments.

I would not kick English out of the Germanic family, but it has deviated far enough from the other representatives of this family to warrant that it gets its own subfamily - at least when you look at things from a contemporany angle (the historical linguist criteria will of course still put it as a branch weering off from the Westgermanic subfamily).

It is NOT primarily the humonguous number of loanwords that can justify this, although the loans from French and Latin definitely are more numerous than in any other Germanic language, but rather the systematic phonological, morphological and syntactical changes.

The sound system of English has gone a far way from Anglo Saxon, and the changes since then are just as fundamental as those used to justify the division of the Germanic languages in an Eastern, Northern and Western branch.

Add to this the special developments in the English grammar, such as the obligatory uses of "do" and the parallel verbal system built on present participles (the "continuous" forms). The loss of morphological markers is not unusual in the Germanic family - actually only High German and Icelandic have kept something like the full sets of forms), and a language like Afrikaans has shed even more of its morphology. But as a consequence of this loss of morphological constraints English has introduced a blurred separation between verbs and substantives, which has gone a lot further than in the other Germanic languages - actually it reminds me more about Bahasa Indonesia.

But it has kept important features like the separation between strong and weak verbs, and all the 'grammar words' are of Germanic origin.   

If I look at the Germanic family as I did with the Romance languages in my first post in this thread, then my personal feeling is that the Nordic languages still constitute a valid subfamily, but the historical division between Icelandic/Norwegian on the one hand and Danish/Swedish on the other has become totally irrelevant - now the separation goes between the very conservative Icelandic/Faroese versus Norwegian/ Swedish/Danish.

Disregarding the extinct Eastern branch, something similar has happened with the 'continental' Germanic languages. The main representatives now are Dutch and High German, but these are just the centres around which a bewildering number of dialects has clustered - the whole range of Western and Central Germanic languages once formed an immense dialectical continuum. If you had look at the situation around 1500 you would have had at least an additional 'conglomeration centre' in Low German, but today it is more like a bipolar situation, with Swiss German, Letztebuergisch, Platt (and Plautt) plus Frisian as fringe phenomena - interesting in their own right, but not on the level of Dutch and High German. And German is the 'grandma' of this bipolar subfamily, just as Icelandic is in the Nordic subfamily.

Frisian is a special case because it might have formed a bridge to English if Wilhelm the Conquerer hadn't invaded Britain, but now it is just a splintered and moribund remnant of a formerly important language. And Afrikaans is of course still closer to Dutch than to anything else, but unlike the Dutch/Flemish and German dialects its geographical isolation will virtually guarantee its independence - or rather, if it loses out then it won't be to Dutch or High German, but rather to English.

And English is on its own now, but still within the Germanic family.

Edited by Iversen on 04 April 2011 at 10:48pm

9 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 35 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 24 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version