1802 posts - 2011 votes 
22 sounds
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Ancient Greek, French, Biblical Hebrew
Studies: Luxembourgish, Dutch, Greek, Italian

Message 25 of 35
04 April 2011 at 10:53pm | IP Logged 
OliSayeed wrote:
...it would definitely be even harder to create a similar example
using only Romantic vocabulary (and, I suppose, grammar).

That's why I would call English a Germano-Romance language and not a Romano-Germanic language ;). The foundation and lower stories of the building are Germanic, but the higher up you go on the edifice, the more Romance it becomes.
1 person has voted this message useful

JW
Hexaglot
United States
youtube.com/user/egw
Joined 5917 days ago

1802 posts - 2011 votes 
22 sounds

Message 26 of 35
04 April 2011 at 11:38pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
Letztebuergisch

Letztebuergisch (Luxembourgish) is another Germano-Romance language (Flemish might also be considered one as well if you accept it as a language) which makes it a fascinating study for those, like myself, who are intruiged by languages that straddle the Germanic and Romance Groups.

Iversen wrote:
Frisian is a special case because it might have formed a bridge to English if Wilhelm the Conquerer hadn't invaded Britain, but now it is just a splintered and moribund remnant of a formerly important language.

It's also very much influenced by Dutch. However, I sill get a thrill reading Frisian because it always makes me feel like I'm reading a language that is "What English might have been."

For example, you can see in this short passage how close the Frisian is to English, the main differences being the Romance(R) derived words in English:

Yn it oanbigjin skoep God de himel en de ierde.
2 De ierde lykwols wier wyldens en woastens, en tsjusternis laei oer ’e djipte, en
Gods Geast wier sweevjende oer de wetters.
3 En God sei: Der sij ljocht! En der waerd ljocht.
4 En God seach dat it ljocht goed wier; en God makke skieding twisken it ljocht en de
tsjusternis;
5 en God neamde it ljocht dei en de tsjusternis neamde Er nacht. En it waerd joun
en it waerd moarn, de earste dei.

1In the beginning God created(R) the heavens and the earth.
2The earth was formless(R) and void(R), and darkness was over the surface(R) of the deep, and the Spirit(R) of God was moving(R) over the surface(R) of the waters.
3Then God said, “Let there be light”; and there was light.
4God saw that the light was good; and God separated(R) the light from the darkness.
5God called the light day, and the darkness He called night. And there was evening and there was morning, one day.

Edited by JW on 04 April 2011 at 11:40pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Capsula
Diglot
Groupie
Andorra
Joined 5057 days ago

42 posts - 52 votes 
Studies: Catalan*, Spanish, English
Studies: Italian

Message 27 of 35
05 April 2011 at 12:01am | IP Logged 
"Occitan has certain similarities to Catalan, but there are several significant differences:
Occitan's indeterminate past tense doesn't occur in any Ibero-Romance language.
Occitan's present tense is formed on both to have and to be.
Occitan maintains the original Latin use of "aver" as both auxiliary and lexical "to have". "Tener" maintains the original Latin sense of "to hold".
Occitan only has one verb "to be". Is there any Ibero-Romance language with only one?
AFAIK, Occitan doesn't have anything like Catalan's "passat perifrastic" (vaig fer etc).
And I can't see any evidence of a present continuous in Occitan either, and the present continuous is a pretty good marker of the Ibero-Romance group. "

Well, no one is denying there are differences between Occitan and Catalan, as there are certainly differences between Occitan and Spanish or Catalan and Spanish.

Does this indeterminate past tense occur in any Italo-romance language? Or in French?
Present tense can vary a lot between romance languages, and in some varieties of Catalan you can use to be as well, althought this was far more common in the Middle Ages, when the two languages were practically indistinguishable from each other.
"aver" was maintained by Catalan as well in the Middle Ages, but now, most likely due to Spanish influences, it is more common to use the verb "tener".
Italian also has two to be verbs: essere and stare, and their use is more similar to that of Catalan than Spanish, even thought Italo-romance is less closely related to Ibero-romance than Gallo-romance. Also, I read French and Occitan initially had two to be verbs, but then became fused in one in the case of French, and Occitan followed it.
Catalan has passat perifrastic and also the most common tense used by most romance languages, althought it's rarely used.

Present continuous? I don't know what do you mean, could you put an example? Anyway, if that's the only trait in common for all Ibero-romance, I think it's a very weak evidence to group Catalan with these languages but not with Occitan, when they were so close in the Middle ages.
Vocabulary it's much closer (or was) to that of Occitan, specially basic words. Of course Catalan has borrowed a lot from Spanish, but English also borrowed a lot from Latin and French, and no one wants to classify it within the Romance family, right?

Another problem with Western and Eastern Romance: Aragonese and Gascon (Western) have maintained some traits in common to Eastern to the exclusion of their Western neighbours. There are some problems with Eastern varieties as well. See more here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Spezia-Rimini_Line

About Bable: some classify it in a different group from both, Spanish and Portuguese.

I've seen lots of different classifications for Romance languages, maybe there isn't a good one at all.

As for English, I'd never classify it as Romance. I don't know if it has moved away from the Germanic family or not, but it's clearly different from the romance languages I know more or less (Italian, Catalan, Portuguese, French, Occitan and Spanish).

Edited by Capsula on 05 April 2011 at 12:03am

JW
Hexaglot
United States
youtube.com/user/egw
Joined 5917 days ago

1802 posts - 2011 votes 
22 sounds

Message 28 of 35
05 April 2011 at 12:11am | IP Logged 
Capsula wrote:
As for English, I'd never classify it as Romance. I don't know if it has moved away from the Germanic family or not, but it's clearly different from the romance languages I know more or less (Italian, Catalan, Portuguese, French, Occitan and Spanish).

Ah, but English is close to Spanish. I would consider that Spanish and Dutch are the two closest (major) languages to English.

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5806 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 29 of 35
05 April 2011 at 12:31am | IP Logged 
JW wrote:
Here is a little challenge for you. Write a very short (one or two paragraphs) composition in English using only words derived from Germanic languages.

I think you will be shocked at how absurd and "un-English" your composition reads.

So? You would find it difficult to write two paragraphs in any European language without stumbling across a borrowing, particulary Latinate or Greek borrowings.

I wasn't trying to claim there's no Latinate and/or Romance vocabulary in English, just that the figures in the graph were misleading.

Capsula wrote:
About Bable: some classify it in a different group from both, Spanish and Portuguese.

Well it's Astur-Leonese, but doesn't Astur-Leonese sit comfortably within Ibero-Romance.

And as others have said -- please use the quote button.

JW
Hexaglot
United States
youtube.com/user/egw
Joined 5917 days ago

1802 posts - 2011 votes 
22 sounds

Message 30 of 35
05 April 2011 at 12:59am | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:
You would find it difficult to write two paragraphs in any European language without stumbling across a borrowing, particulary Latinate or Greek borrowings.

I would venture to assert that it would be easier to write a coherent two paragraph composition with no borrowings in any major European language other than English, than it would be to write one in English...

BartoG
Diglot
United States
confession
Joined 5242 days ago

292 posts - 818 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Italian, Spanish, Latin, Uzbek

Message 31 of 35
05 April 2011 at 7:15am | IP Logged 
When I was younger, I came across an older man whose thoughts greatly shaped my own. It is not the things he taught me, but the things that he helped me unlearn, that did the most to make me leave aside my old, unthinking path. As it is sometimes said, it is not what we do not know, but what we know that is not so, that makes us think and do wrongly. Though I only knew the old man for a year or two before his death, in that time he made me ask myself many times if the life I was leading was the one I wanted, or the one that my fellows thought I should have. This gave me a way of seeing unlike that which I had before, and so I grew to be a true man, my own man. Looking back, I cannot help but see that without those times we shared, I would not have led the life I lived, and I would be much less rich for it.

A bit hackneyed, and it's not high art, but I can imagine finding a similar passage in one of the older self-help books that pretended to plainspokenness. Four Romance words in that last sentence, though.

Edit: Not sure if "rich" is Germanic or Romance.

Edited by BartoG on 05 April 2011 at 7:16am

3 persons have voted this message useful

cntrational
Triglot
Groupie
India
Joined 4922 days ago

49 posts - 66 votes 
Speaks: Hindi, Telugu, English*
Studies: French

Message 32 of 35
05 April 2011 at 7:56am | IP Logged 
Re: Italian "dialects" being considered part of Italian: ever hear the saying "a language is a dialect with an army and navy"?

English is Germanic, but I thought the Anglic subfamily was fairly well accepted?

This discussion contains 35 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 2 35  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version