Diglot
United States
Joined 6245 days ago

635 posts - 857 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Spanish, Russian, Dutch

Message 9 of 35
30 March 2011 at 8:20pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the clarification. I think including a tidbit from what you've just read would
make it more interesting, yes; good idea. I'd say they'll have to just be snippets though
and not whole sentences, though, due to Twitter's character limit.
1 person has voted this message useful

Li Fei
Pro Member
United States
Joined 4922 days ago

147 posts - 182 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Mandarin
Personal Language Map

Message 10 of 35
30 March 2011 at 9:50pm | IP Logged 
I want to do it, but I'm a Twitter novice AND my reading level in Chinese is really low. Hundreds of pages,
even from kids' books, sounds impossible. Is it worthwhile to do it and post just 1-3 pages per day, I
wonder?

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6269 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 11 of 35
30 March 2011 at 10:49pm | IP Logged 
Hjordis: "sentence" is apparently meant for reading that is a lot less than a page, for
example target-language dictionary definitions. If you do a lot of those and feel like
they may add up, you can track sentences. Too much work, imho.

Li Fei: I'd draw the line at 800 characters for Chinese. If you know that many, getting
into reading Chinese is going to do you a WORLD of good. It's easy to put it off again
and again like I did, now I know 3000 characters, probably 7000 words and a good amount
of grammar yet phrasing something in Chinese is not easy and the result often sounds
unnatural to Chinese ears. I need to get more in tune with the way the Chinese language
is spoken, and that's something no textbook can teach me really, hence I'm
participating in the challenge.

Things you can try that are easy enough for someone at the 800 character level:
parallel texts (contact me), any electronic text if you use on-hover translation (e. g.
Wenlin software, a free browser plugin or Wordchamp.com), simplified texts e. g. from
here
or from an easy reader, Chinese blog posts, Chinese
song lyrics, movies or TV series with Chinese subtitles, graphic novels. Keep in mind
that children's books don't have to be easier than adult's books because of vocabulary
like "bow-wow" and because they aren't as good at keeping someone's attention. Easy
books I can recommend:
* the series "Stories of ..." by Asiapac Editorial Board (interesting stories from
Chinese history & mythology retold in easy Chinese as comics)
* 三人行 - Annas Sommer in Beijing (nice story specifically written for German students
learning Chinese, ca. 800 characters)
* 青春之歌 as adapted by the Beijing University Press, which also publishes series of
short stories in easy Chinese
2 persons have voted this message useful

hjordis
United States
snapshotsoftheworld.
Joined 4985 days ago

209 posts - 264 votes 
Studies: French, German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 12 of 35
30 March 2011 at 11:32pm | IP Logged 
@Sprach- Yeah, I found that. Thanks.

I don't think I'll be participating after all. I don't think I really need it as some sort of motivation or anything, and the whole counting system is too hard to make balanced, no matter how you try. Sentence length varies, font size varies, book size varies, and so on. I don't even know what to do with PDFs. I guess I could count them as two web pages since they look like they're about 6 paragraphs. Plus I messed it up by changing my twitter name right after I entered. Only realized later that was probably a bad thing.

Does anyone know why double rowed books in Japanese are worth more? Logically it seems like the extra space would make it LESS sentences, unless it was also a bigger book. I asked in the comments, but he just said trust me, it's more:/. I believe him, I'd just like to know the reasoning. Though I did count that example scan, and while it does come out to more than the average page in my books(except for one with a smaller font and my bigger hard covers), it seems to have shorter sentences in general.

@Li Fei- hundreds of pages is impossible for me as well, even if my time wasn't limited by other responsibilities. Go ahead and enter for fun if you think it would help motivate you or something.

Edited by hjordis on 30 March 2011 at 11:34pm

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5565 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 13 of 35
31 March 2011 at 12:02am | IP Logged 
About double rowed books - there was a post on the blog Where he explained why those books contain more text. I don't remember for sure, it was either smaller font or a larger format. And in the text he explained how he got the sentence average. I don't remember the details but it did seem plausible to me, especially as most Japanese books I own have a very similar layout.

But actually it isn't important that the stats are perfect, what's more important is that challenges like this help you set a goal (x pages a day for 30 days) and help you keep track of your progress.

Edited by Bao on 31 March 2011 at 12:07am

LordSilent
United States
Joined 4786 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes
Speaks: English

Message 14 of 35
31 March 2011 at 12:12am | IP Logged 
hjordis wrote:
@Sprach- Yeah, I found that. Thanks.

I don't think I'll be participating after all. I don't think I really need it as some
sort of motivation or anything, and the whole counting system is too hard to make
balanced, no matter how you try. Sentence length varies, font size varies, book size
varies, and so on. I don't even know what to do with PDFs. I guess I could count them
as two web pages since they look like they're about 6 paragraphs. Plus I messed it up
by changing my twitter name right after I entered. Only realized later that was
probably a bad thing.

If you've got Japanese PDFs just do a character count on what you've read and divide
that by 400 to get your page count. Or you can use the tool Blackdragonhunt made and it
will do the page counting for your. It places the tadoku page counts in the comments on
the pdf.

hjordis wrote:

Does anyone know why double rowed books in Japanese are worth more? Logically it seems
like the extra space would make it LESS sentences, unless it was also a bigger book. I
asked in the comments, but he just said trust me, it's more:/. I believe him, I'd just
like to know the reasoning. Though I did count that example scan, and while it does
come out to more than the average page in my books(except for one with a smaller font
and my bigger hard covers), it seems to have shorter sentences in general.

Our paperbook average for characters/page in japanese is 400 (obtained by Seizar before
the first round). We have several already OCRed double row books and their physical
copies. With a little math we counted the character averages per page of several books
and and the average of that was 1.5~ times greater than that of a non double row
formatted paperback book.

edit: Just realized the old ranking was down so if you guys want to take a look at that
check here http://digitalartificer.com/railed/ranking.php

Edited by LordSilent on 31 March 2011 at 12:19am

hjordis
United States
snapshotsoftheworld.
Joined 4985 days ago

209 posts - 264 votes 
Studies: French, German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 15 of 35
31 March 2011 at 12:18am | IP Logged 
Okay, I didn't see that post even though I went through the archives. I thought it was probably something like that. I was just wondering because I don't have any double rowed books. I do have a book that reads left to right, which is kind of weird. I think it's for advanced learners(I can't read it yet; I just didn't want someone else to buy it).

Yeah, I know it's not important that they're perfect. It's a combination of that and the fact that I already had goals set for my reading that made me decide not to participate.

@LordSilent Thanks. And like I said I believe you. Really. I was just wondering the reason it was that way. I'll drop it now.

Edited by hjordis on 31 March 2011 at 12:22am

LordSilent
United States
Joined 4786 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes
Speaks: English

Message 16 of 35
31 March 2011 at 12:21am | IP Logged 
hjordis wrote:
Okay, I didn't see that post even though I went through the archives.
I thought it was probably something like that. I was just wondering because I don't
have any double rowed books. I do have a book that reads left to right, which is kind
of weird. I think it's for advanced learners(I can't read it yet; I just didn't want
someone else to buy it).

Yeah, I know it's not important that they're perfect. It's a combination of that and
the fact that I already had goals set for my reading that made me decide not to
participate.

I have a couple that are horizontal and go from left to right but they are old
translations of Isaac Asimov books. And thats fine I just wanted to clarify things for
you.

This discussion contains 35 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 13 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version