Korean vocabulary

Language Learning Forum : Language Programs, Books & Tapes Post Reply
clumsy
Octoglot
Poland
lang-8.com/6715Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4981 days ago

1116 posts - 1367 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Japanese, Korean, French, Mandarin, Italian, Vietnamese
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swedish
Studies: Danish, Dari, Kirundi

Message 1 of 2
01 April 2011 at 10:39pm | IP Logged 
Do you know of some books teaching Korean vocabulary?
I want to prepare for TOPIK.
I want some comprehensive list, like 10 000 words.
I think picture dictionary could be OK.
I have Chinese one with 6 000 words, they have Japanese edition too, but unfortunately lack of Korean one. I think dictionary would be OK too.
What do you think is good Korean dictionary?
I think Collins would be OK. I have Chinese one and it's nice.
1 person has voted this message useful

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5338 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 2 of 2
03 April 2011 at 1:22am | IP Logged 
I've recently started making my way through these two books:
Korean Essential Vocabulary 6000 For Foreigners
Survival Korean Vocabulary
(This site listed above is in the US, but both books are from Korean publishers.)

Both are based on the list of 6000 most important words that was released by The National Institute of Korean Language (though the writer of SKV notes in the preface that he exchanged a few words for others that he felt were more important to know).

The two books are organized very differently which is a big part of why I purchased both. KEV6000 is sorted alphabetically (가나다) and flags each entry with an A, B, or C to note the "level" of the word ("A" words are the 1087 most frequently used, "B" words are the next 2111, and "C" words are the final 2872; yes that does add up to 6070, not 6000, but that's what the book says). SKV is grouped by topic instead ("Feelings", "Shopping", "Food", etc.) and uses * and ** to flag more important words (so far it seems to match up that: ** = A, * = B, no star = C), but also has an alphabetic index in the back if you need a 가나다 sort.

Both books also list Hanja characters where applicable. Many of the entries in SKV have an example sentence, whereas KEV6000 doesn't include any examples. KEV6000 is absolutely tiny (pocket-sized) whereas SKV is about the same profile as most of the other Korean textbooks I have (including the rest of the "Survival Korean" series and "Using Korean"). SKV also includes a CD with native speaker audio (just like the rest of the "Survival Korean" series).

On the back cover, KEV6000 claims that knowledge of the included vocabulary will meet the vocabulary requirements for: TOPIC Level 5~6, KLPT Level 1~2, and KLT score 830

My current method has been going through KEV6000 and picking out all the "A" words that I don't already know (and I already know the vast majority of them as well as many of the "B" and "C" words), then looking those up in SKV and on Naver and/or Daum for clarification and examples. Once I've done that, I add it to my SRS. Once I've finished the "A" pass, then I plan to start over with the "B" words.

Edited by Warp3 on 03 April 2011 at 1:27am

1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version