United Kingdom
Joined 5135 days ago

29 posts - 40 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese

Message 17 of 26
03 November 2011 at 9:37pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
Does anyone have insight as to how to best teach or learn pitch?

This also is a topic that greatly intrests me, and if anyone has anymore to add I would love some more discussion to this topic.

I really have no idea the correct ways to learn pitch. The only thing I use is rote memorisation of the words and then taking note (mentally) how the person speaks with the words combined. I really feel there is no other way. Although very hard to get hold of, I thoroughly recommend to anyone interested to invest in the PC edition of NHK日本語発音アクセント辞典 not only is it a marvellous tool for native speakers, it also contains a 学習編 which has a lot of 'pronounciation training' and 'accent training' which I believe certainly helps with pitch patterns.

Edited by Mei190 on 03 November 2011 at 9:39pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5176 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 18 of 26
10 November 2011 at 5:11pm | IP Logged 
As I've been attempting to make sense of pitch variations in Japanese verbs, I created a chart that learners can use to determine, at a glance, where pitch will fall. Using this chart, I was able to take any verb said to me and find the proper pitch for any other form.

Verb Table for Pitch

If anyone is interesting in commenting or pointing out errors, I'd be most obliged. I had a native Japanese teacher confirm all these, but I'm hoping regional dialectal differences are not tinting the results, particularly as some forms exhibit some degree of variation.

Hampie
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 6454 days ago

625 posts - 1009 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Latin, German, Mandarin

Message 19 of 26
10 November 2011 at 5:48pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
As I've been attempting to make sense of pitch variations in Japanese verbs, I created a chart
that learners can use to determine, at a glance, where pitch will fall. Using this chart, I was able to take any verb
said to me and find the proper pitch for any other form.

Verb Table for Pitch

If anyone is interesting in commenting or pointing out errors, I'd be most obliged. I had a native Japanese teacher
confirm all these, but I'm hoping regional dialectal differences are not tinting the results, particularly as some
forms exhibit some degree of variation.

I get some japanese and a lot of question-marks inside squares when I ry to look at your PDF. Did you forget to
include the font you used or did you use very obscure Unicode Characters? I have Japanese language support
installed on my Mac so it should not be the japanese that does the trouble.

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5176 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 20 of 26
10 November 2011 at 6:03pm | IP Logged 
Hampie wrote:
Arekkusu wrote:
As I've been attempting to make sense of pitch variations in Japanese verbs, I created a chart
that learners can use to determine, at a glance, where pitch will fall. Using this chart, I was able to take any verb
said to me and find the proper pitch for any other form.

Verb Table for Pitch

If anyone is interesting in commenting or pointing out errors, I'd be most obliged. I had a native Japanese teacher
confirm all these, but I'm hoping regional dialectal differences are not tinting the results, particularly as some
forms exhibit some degree of variation.

I get some japanese and a lot of question-marks inside squares when I ry to look at your PDF. Did you forget to
include the font you used or did you use very obscure Unicode Characters? I have Japanese language support
installed on my Mac so it should not be the japanese that does the trouble.

Oh, interesting. I printed it to pdf the same way I always do and my home computer, office computer, even my ipod and ipad can read it... I can send you a Word version by email if you want.

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5176 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 21 of 26
12 November 2011 at 3:40am | IP Logged 
Since my initial post cannot be edited, I'm forced to move the information to another
site so I can continue to update it.

Thanks to Sprachprofi, you can now find Japanese Pitch information
here.

Edited by Arekkusu on 12 November 2011 at 3:40am

egill
Diglot
United States
Joined 5491 days ago

418 posts - 791 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin, English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Dutch

Message 22 of 26
12 November 2011 at 6:55am | IP Logged 
For what it's worth, I can read the verb table just fine. Looks nice! Kinda makes me
want to start learning Japanese..

Hampie
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 6454 days ago

625 posts - 1009 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Latin, German, Mandarin

Message 23 of 26
12 November 2011 at 2:00pm | IP Logged 
Hmm, is there no other way to mark the tone other than using bold or capitals? The IPA-examples on Wikipedia
use ` and ´ and I recall Jorden’s book use「 and 」like in hashí は「し… Though that looked like.. ugly. *is just
thinking aloud*

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5176 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 24 of 26
12 November 2011 at 2:37pm | IP Logged 
Hampie wrote:
Hmm, is there no other way to mark the tone other than using bold or capitals? The
IPA-examples on Wikipedia
use ` and ´ and I recall Jorden’s book use「 and 」like in hashí は「し… Though that looked like.. ugly. *is
just
thinking aloud*

Capitals and bold work really well. I can't use capitals on hiragana, but the bold accented mora is the only
one that matters, the rest is obvious. It would nice to use lines and other markers, but typographically it
would be hell. I hope to remain sane throughout the project.

Edited by Arekkusu on 16 November 2011 at 11:20pm

This discussion contains 26 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version