United States
Joined 4770 days ago

16 posts - 16 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 1 of 15
09 April 2011 at 4:46am | IP Logged 
Will I become fluent if I:
-take 3 college classes in MSA (all that is offered at my school, one is intensive)
-do volunteer work in Morocco (for 1-2months) and learn Darija dialect
-then go to Syria for a year and take intensive college classes along with private    tutor sessions (improving MSA and learning Levantine dialect)
-and take more classes in graduate school for 2.5-3 years?

I've heard people say that it takes 5-7yrs to become completely fluent, and by the time I graduate from school I'll have about 6 years

Also, is learning Arabic really as hard as people say?

I'm really interested in Middle Eastern/North African culture, and am good at learning languages. I am currently learning French and Spanish, and I am aware that Arabic is nothing like the two.

Edited by EricaRC on 09 April 2011 at 4:49am

1 person has voted this message useful

Jinx
Triglot
Germany
reverbnation.co
Joined 5485 days ago

1085 posts - 1879 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Catalan, Dutch, Esperanto, Croatian, Serbian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish, Yiddish

Message 2 of 15
09 April 2011 at 5:15am | IP Logged 
You'll become fluent if you have a passion for it and don't give up.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Woodpecker
Triglot
United States
Joined 5603 days ago

351 posts - 590 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Written), Arabic (Egyptian)
Studies: Arabic (classical)

Message 4 of 15
09 April 2011 at 4:31pm | IP Logged 
Vagaglot wrote:
No.
However if you spend all of that time in Syria you'd be fluent in a decade. (Or two)

This is absurd. Why be so negative? Do you even study Arabic? One can become proficient
in one of the dialects in a year if one works hard at it, especially in-country. I
certainly did, and moreover I am firmly convinced that after another year in Egypt I
would reach basic fluency without too much difficulty. Arabic is hard, but it's not
impossible. And the whole idea of fluency in MSA is rather absurd. It's a language you
need to be able to read, not speak. Once you can read well, the listening comprehension
comes with practice.

Two thoughts on your plan: First, Morocco isn't going to do much for you. The dialect
is extremely divergent, and 6 weeks is not enough time. The rest of your plan is fine,
though I would caution you that Arabic at the undergraduate level tends to be very
badly taught. In most cases you're better off teaching yourself.

Edited by Woodpecker on 09 April 2011 at 4:32pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4922 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 5 of 15
09 April 2011 at 4:57pm | IP Logged 
Vagaglot wrote:
No.
However if you spend all of that time in Syria you'd be fluent in a decade. (Or two)

So helpful.

What do you base this on?

R.
==

sixpack434
United Kingdom
Joined 6197 days ago

3 posts - 2 votes

Message 6 of 15
09 April 2011 at 10:55pm | IP Logged 
I have been learning Arabic for the past two years and don't think it's that difficult, you can become fluent in just a year if you put enough time and effort into it. One of the methods that I found very useful is listening to MP3 podcasts since they're generally fun to listen to and very convenient. I recommend ArabicPod.net for podcasts as they have hundreds...

apparition
Octoglot
United States
Joined 6442 days ago

600 posts - 667 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Written), French, Arabic (Iraqi), Portuguese, German, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Pashto

Message 7 of 15
09 April 2011 at 11:16pm | IP Logged 
I'm not a fan of college courses when it comes to learning languages. Too few hours of
exposure for the cost. If I were to go to college now, I'd get a degree in something else
and learn a language on my own, definitely.

As was said before, learning on your own will usually be more effective, especially as
you have experience. I'd suggest learning MSA on your own, using internet resources. A
year in Syria will give you exactly what you need as far as dialect is concerned. Basic
fluency could be achieved in a year or a year and a half. It's definitely not as
difficult as advertised. The graduate classes, if taken while immersed in an Arabic
country, would likely get you to advanced fluency, if the year in Syria didn't.

Good luck and come back to this forum if you'd like more information.

CaucusWolf
United States
Joined 5064 days ago

191 posts - 234 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Arabic (Written), Japanese

Message 8 of 15
09 April 2011 at 11:41pm | IP Logged 
[QUOTE=Woodpecker]   Arabic is hard, but it's not
impossible. And the whole idea of fluency in MSA is rather absurd. It's a language you need to be able to read, not speak.
[QUOTE]
Well this makes me feel a little better XD I'm still not up to par with my listening and speaking skills in MSA, but I can read alot in newspapers.(something like 75%-80%.) I recently had a written conersation with a native speaker that I was able to hold without reverting to English. I wasn't able to communicate like English, but if that's what can be achieved in a little over a year than I'm happy. I'm pretty confident that I could be well rounded in all aspects in far, far less time than a decade.

This discussion contains 15 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version