Groupie
Canada
Joined 4879 days ago

54 posts - 78 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 1 of 13
10 April 2011 at 11:31pm | IP Logged 
As much as I enjoy learning a second language, my primary hobby is learning about the world more generally,
and I try to find materials in the language that I'm studying to facilitate that. I've had some success in finding
university courses in french online (not about french, but other courses taught using french), and I was
wondering how many languages in the world offer university or college level courses.

With the growth and spread of the internet, I imagine it won't be long before one can learn about various
subjects in any of the major languages. Can anyone give a reasonable estimate of the number of different
university level institutions teaching in various languages?

I'm having trouble finding the right words, so let me start a list to be more clear:
english, french, chinese, russian, etc... would all be included because they are universities which teach general
courses (biology, history, economics, etc...) using those languages.
But ancient greek, middle English, cree, etc... would not be included, because I doubt there are institutions who
teach using those languages. (I didn't include latin in this list because the Vatican might still be teaching
with it.)

Anyone have any idea as to the number? I would also be interested in hearing about the smaller languages which
have universities associated with them (i.e., I would be pleasantly surprised if there was a cree university
somewhere.)

1 person has voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6965 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 2 of 13
11 April 2011 at 1:27am | IP Logged 
As a very rough guide, you can think of all of the countries out there (roughly 190 give or take a few). In turn count how many of these have universities, colleges or schools for professions. It's a resonable bet that each country's universities will use the official language as the main language of instruction.

I would guess that between 100 and 150 languages are used as languages of instruction for tertiary education (Arabic, English, French, or Spanish which are each official in several countries would reduce the presumed diversity when it comes to languages of instruction).

JasonE
Groupie
Canada
Joined 4879 days ago

54 posts - 78 votes 

Message 3 of 13
11 April 2011 at 3:16am | IP Logged 
Wikipedia tells me that there are 116 offical
languages
, but I suspect that the number used in post secondary institutions is a bit less than that. Can
anyone say with confidence that any of the official languages don't have a university which teaches using it?

I also think that the low number of textbooks sold each year per course per language would encourage the use of
textbooks in the regional lingua franca... Which makes me think, do any universities use textbooks in one language
but lecture in the local language?

Edited by JasonE on 11 April 2011 at 3:17am

Kiyoko
United States
Joined 4829 days ago

8 posts - 8 votes
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto

Message 4 of 13
11 April 2011 at 3:48am | IP Logged 
An easy way to find *free* courses in your target language is to search the name of your
L2 with the words "open course ware". I found a host of Japanese material that way, and I
can't wait to dive into it.

And I agree with Jason, there are probably quite a few universities where textbooks are
in extremely limited supply in the official language, such as Dhiveli or Inuinnaqtun.
Further complicating the count is countries with several official languages, such as
Moldova. Is there one language that supersedes all others? Does it vary by region? By
university? By subject or professor?

Alexander86
Tetraglot
United Kingdom
alanguagediary.blogs
Joined 4790 days ago

224 posts - 323 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German, Catalan
Studies: Swedish

Message 5 of 13
11 April 2011 at 2:57pm | IP Logged 
Plus we would have to take into account that some universities teach in several different languages - Take for
example a Catalan university, the teaching is of course mostly done in Catalan, but some is done in Spanish, and
much less in English. Also this changes vis-a-vis the level of teaching, with postgraduate teaching being a much
more mutlilingual affair. To add to the complexion, you can take individual modules in different languages...

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6391 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 6 of 13
11 April 2011 at 3:28pm | IP Logged 
JasonE wrote:
Which makes me think, do any universities use textbooks in one language but lecture in the local language?

Sure, it's very common in Sweden. Many of my textbooks at Uni were in English.

aru-aru
Triglot
Latvia
Joined 6266 days ago

244 posts - 331 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, English, Russian

Message 7 of 13
11 April 2011 at 3:48pm | IP Logged 
Ari wrote:
JasonE wrote:
Which makes me think, do any universities use textbooks in one language but lecture in the local language?

Same in my country. Maybe 2-3 books that I had to read for classes were in my language, the rest were either in English or Russian.

JasonE
Groupie
Canada
Joined 4879 days ago

54 posts - 78 votes 

Message 8 of 13
11 April 2011 at 7:05pm | IP Logged 
aru-aru wrote:
Ari wrote:
JasonE wrote:
Which makes me think, do any universities use textbooks in one
language but lecture in the local language?

Same in my country. Maybe 2-3 books that I had to read for classes were in my language, the rest were either
in English or Russian.

I find this to be extremely interesting. Being Canadian, education comes in only two flavors, English and french, and
from what I remember the french students, in my high school at least, had french textbooks.

Any more information from other members would be greatly appreciated. And is anyone familiar with an officially
recognized language that isn't used in higher education?

This discussion contains 13 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version