aru-aru
Triglot
Latvia
Joined 6266 days ago

244 posts - 331 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, English, Russian

Message 9 of 13
11 April 2011 at 7:23pm | IP Logged 
What do you mean by "officially recognized" language? Saami in Finland? Ainu in Russia? In none of those there is higher education available.

In the case of smaller countries/languages, textbooks (or just books) in English or other big languages are used simply because there aren't any books available for the particular subject in the native language. Usually the subject is narrow and specific enough so that translating and publishing the books simply isn't possible, editions that small don't make sense. Just as simple as that. No need to be surprised by that.
1 person has voted this message useful

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6391 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 10 of 13
11 April 2011 at 9:13pm | IP Logged 
While there is plenty of oral instruction availible in Cantonese in HK universities, textbooks written in Cantonese is
simply unthinkable. Written Cantonese is considered vulgar and low-class and only suitable for comic books and
SMSages.

Edited by Ari on 11 April 2011 at 9:14pm

JasonE
Groupie
Canada
Joined 4879 days ago

54 posts - 78 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 11 of 13
11 April 2011 at 9:42pm | IP Logged 
aru-aru wrote:
What do you mean by "officially recognized" language? Saami in Finland? Ainu in Russia? In
none of those there is higher education available.

In the case of smaller countries/languages, textbooks (or just books) in English or other big languages are used
simply because there aren't any books available for the particular subject in the native language. Usually the
subject is narrow and specific enough so that translating and publishing the books simply isn't possible, editions
that small don't make sense. Just as simple as that. No need to be surprised by that.

You're examples are exactly what I'm looking for. I'm interested in how big that number of languages used in
higher education actually is. Then I'm curious about conjectures as to when most of these languages will be
available online, following the mainly English "OpenCourseWare" example (i.e., when might it be possible to
watch lessons online in calculus, psychology, history, etc... in all of the languages that actually teach those
subjects.) I think it would be a great boon for students, and others, interested in languages to be able to learn
about largely standardized subjects and courses online, via any of the main languages.

Conjecture with me people. Is 5 years too optimistic? What about 10?

aru-aru
Triglot
Latvia
Joined 6266 days ago

244 posts - 331 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, English, Russian

Message 12 of 13
12 April 2011 at 6:11am | IP Logged 
There must be too many of these examples. Taiwanese in Taiwan (universities teach in Mandarin Chinese), Marwari in India (or any smaller Indian language, universities teach either in English or Hindi as far as I know), Shanghainese or any other language in China (education is in Chinese).

If we take my country as an example, you can get higher education in Latvian (90%), Russian (5%) and English (5%). 2 million people population. There are other local languages spoken (i.e. not languages of immigrants or anything), like Latgalian and Liv (Livonian, a Finno-Uiguric language). None of these are used in higher education. I do believe the situation tends to be the same elsewhere as well. There are too many of these recognized, but small languages. People would not choose education in these languages, even if it was available. You'd get limited options, and not learn terminology in a language most people in your country understand. People prefer getting education in bigger languages even if it means additional trouble for them. That is why getting education in English is so popular in many places.

I'd rather mention an exception that I'm aware of. In Finland it IS possible to go to a Swedish language university.

I did a quick Google search, and there seem to be quite a few audio lectures available in Russian. Not full courses though.

http://www-r.openu.ac.il/lectures-audio/index.html (From Israel, in Russian)
http://www.zipsites.ru/abooks/lektcii_rossiiskih_universitet ov/ (Several Russian universities)
http://prm.ru/education/2010-04-26/91378 (a video lecture, plus a few audio ones)
http://busines-training.in.ua/busines-training/matematika/27 9.html (audio and video lectures, various subjects)

If any of these links are not fine to be posted on the forum, by all means delete them. I just posted them as an example of what's available.

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6391 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 13 of 13
12 April 2011 at 7:03am | IP Logged 
JasonE wrote:
Then I'm curious about conjectures as to when most of these languages will be
available online, following the mainly English "OpenCourseWare" example (i.e., when might it be possible to
watch lessons online in calculus, psychology, history, etc... in all of the languages that actually teach those
subjects.) I think it would be a great boon for students, and others, interested in languages to be able to learn
about largely standardized subjects and courses online, via any of the main languages.

Conjecture with me people. Is 5 years too optimistic? What about 10?

Well, how's the landscape today? I of course have a limited number of languages, but on iTunes U there are
courses availible in all the languages I know (English, Swedish, French, Mandarin and Cantonese) and for the one
I'm studying (Spanish), so that's six out of six. I know there are courses in German, too, because I've accidentally
stumbled on them when trying to find French-specific words to search for (anyone know if it's possible to search
iTunes U by language?). I'd be surprised if there wasn't courses taught in Japanese availible. Other than those I
have no idea, though.

This discussion contains 13 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version