koba
Heptaglot
AustriaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5668 days ago

118 posts - 201 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Hungarian, French

Message 1 of 65
20 April 2011 at 12:51am | IP Logged 
This seems to happen often, mostly by teenagers, but not exclusively. With the languages I have experience so far (Portuguese, English and German) I do see mistakes every once in a while, not from foreigners, but the natives themselves, from those above, being Portuguese the one it happens the most. (Not because it's my native language and I can see it more clearly, but it's just like that, unfortunately).

In English, for instance, I notice that sometimes people use "good" when they're supposed to use "well", or use an adjective when they're supposed to use an adverb, etc. in German there are also wrong prepositions/sentence constructions, and in Portuguese there's the Subjunctive confusion, the "Gerundismo" phenomenom and many others.

I often wonder, are we supposed to keep ourselves more grammar-book-orientated or to stick to the forms people use in our surrondings? That's something I ask myself sometimes: Since the spoken language in every language tend to change from time to time and new languages/dialects were born from others' mistakes/changes, so I guess what's wrong today might be correct in the future if it become of common usage? This might also be the explanation of why some words, sentence constructions only remain common while written, whereas in spoken language they're rarely used.

How often does this happen in your native language/in the language you're studying?

Edited by koba on 20 April 2011 at 1:02am

1 person has voted this message useful

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5811 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 2 of 65
20 April 2011 at 2:22am | IP Logged 
There is a saying among linguists:
There's no such thing as a common error.

Basically, the language is what people say. Language is the ultimate in democracy. The majority cannot be wrong.

"good" instead of "well"? Nonsense.  English speakers use "good" where we use "good". It just so happens that we use "good" where speakers of Latin and all the languages that come from it use "well". But English is not Latin, so that's not a problem.

Adjectives vs adverbs...? Well, some of these are "adjectives" are historically attested forms, and the so-called "adverb" form is an attempt by some school-teacher to make the form fit a prescribed pattern, or to force one of two possible forms on his pupils.

For example, while William Shakespeare mostly made a distinction between "quickly" as adverb and "quick" as adjective, here's a quote from Measure for Measure:
Shakespeare wrote:
Break off thy song, and haste thee quick away

While looking for a something like the above, I came across something even better (from The Merry Wives of Windsor):
Shakespeare wrote:
Alas, I had rather be set quick i' the earth

Here "set" is acting as a predicative verb, hence the adjectival form "quick".
This actually explains "good" better than "quick"....

Basically, English uses adjectives with predicative verbs. You can't use an adverb with a predicative verb. So it has to be "good", not "well". In fact, it's actually quite weird that the Romance languages mostly use adjectives with predicative verbs, but sometimes use adverbs. I mean you say "he is happy", not "*he is happily", and "the flower is pretty", not "*the flower is prettily", so why on Earth would you want to say "I am well" instead of "I am good"?!?
11 persons have voted this message useful

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6239 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 3 of 65
20 April 2011 at 3:04am | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:
There is a saying among linguists:
There's no such thing as a common error.

I mean you say "he is happy", not "*he is happily", and "the flower is pretty", not "*the flower is prettily", so why on Earth would you want to say "I am well" instead of "I am good"?!?

Simple: because common use in some circles reflects that, English isn't entirely regular, and not everyone is equally happy using both forms. "I am good" makes me wince a bit - not for any philosophical reason, but simply because it doesn't match my internalized map of English. That my preferred form can be analyzed as a 'common error' or a hyper-correction doesn't negate that it's my preferred form.

4 persons have voted this message useful

Mrs. Dalloway
Triglot
Groupie
Italy
Joined 4769 days ago

70 posts - 95 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, EnglishC2, Russian
Studies: GermanA2, French, Danish

Message 4 of 65
20 April 2011 at 7:46am | IP Logged 
Speaking as a native Italian speaker (that is to say that I live in a relatively little country where more than twenty dialects are spoken and interfere with normal Italian speech for those who speak them) I should say that I'm aware of many MANY grammatical mistakes and I'm not likely to "forgive" them.
I can accept a word, originally coming from a dialect, which expresses perfectly the concept which we're trying to give and is intelligible to anyone, but I can't stand variations in grammatical standard structures.

There are also people who don't speak dialects and still make mistakes, expecially with verbs, expecially the consecutio temporum.
This phenomenon is getting worse and worse with new generations. My sister's thirteen years old and sometimes she makes two or three grammatical unforgivable mistakes in the same sentence! I almost suffer physically, when it happens.

To sum it all up, language changes, of course, and nothing we say will prevent it from happening. But there are some grammatical structures and "values" we should stick to, in my opinion. At least, for what concerns Italian. It seems to me that, if we discuss this topic referring to the English language, even my opinion may change, because of the different role each language plays in the international scenary, the different levels of difficulty found in their grammar rules and so on.

etracher
Triglot
Groupie
Italy
Joined 5134 days ago

92 posts - 180 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, Russian, Latvian

Message 5 of 65
20 April 2011 at 8:24am | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:

For example, while William Shakespeare mostly made a distinction between "quickly" as adverb and "quick" as adjective, here's a quote from Measure for Measure:
Shakespeare wrote:
Break off thy song, and haste thee quick away

While looking for a something like the above, I came across something even better (from The Merry Wives of Windsor):
Shakespeare wrote:
Alas, I had rather be set quick i' the earth

Here "set" is acting as a predicative verb, hence the adjectival form "quick".
This actually explains "good" better than "quick"....

I wanted to make a small note about the second quote from Shakespeare. In addition to what Cainntear mentioned it is important to note that the first quote is the adjectival form functioning as an adverb, while the second one could not possibly be substituted with 'quickly'. In the second quote, Shakespeare is using 'quick' with the meaning of 'alive'. So in the phrase Anne is saying that she would rather be buried alive than marry that fool Fenton. She is not saying, of course, that she would rather be buried in a lively or living manner, nor is she saying that she would rather be buried quickly.

Keilan
Canada
Joined 4886 days ago

125 posts - 241 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German

Message 6 of 65
20 April 2011 at 8:24am | IP Logged 
Ah, the endless battle surfaces once more. :) Namely, those who adhere to prescriptive grammar versus the unending waves of change. Every generation there are people who cringe at the "bad" language of the future generation and how it's getting worse and worse. The same people who feel a word isn't a word until it gets put in the dictionary.

Language is constantly changing, and the idea of forcing a correct form is somewhat silly, and more importantly impossible. If all the schools and dictionaries and writing rules currently existing in the English speaking world weren't enough to stop "good" from changing into an adverb, then I really doubt we'll learn how to stop that change anytime soon.

In my opinion, the only way one can use "incorrect" English is a slip of the tongue. On the other hand, who am I to say that "We ain't got no pizza in no house" is bad English? It's just a case of forcing my set of grammar rules on people who have perfectly usable rules of their own.
5 persons have voted this message useful

Alexander86
Tetraglot
United Kingdom
alanguagediary.blogs
Joined 4781 days ago

224 posts - 323 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German, Catalan
Studies: Swedish

Message 7 of 65
20 April 2011 at 9:04am | IP Logged 
Keilan wrote:
Ah, the endless battle surfaces once more. :) Namely, those who adhere to prescriptive
grammar versus the unending waves of change. Every generation there are people who cringe at the "bad"
language of the future generation and how it's getting worse and worse. The same people who feel a word isn't a
word until it gets put in the dictionary.

Language is constantly changing, and the idea of forcing a correct form is somewhat silly, and more importantly
impossible. If all the schools and dictionaries and writing rules currently existing in the English speaking world
weren't enough to stop "good" from changing into an adverb, then I really doubt we'll learn how to stop that
change anytime soon.

In my opinion, the only way one can use "incorrect" English is a slip of the tongue. On the other hand, who am I
to say that "We ain't got no pizza in no house" is bad English? It's just a case of forcing my set of grammar rules
on people who have perfectly usable rules of their own.

Indeed! If we had had a set structure for Latin we would not have had French, Italian, Spanish, Galician,
Romanian, Catalan, Portuguese... Plus ca change!
5 persons have voted this message useful

Rameau
Triglot
Germany
Joined 5907 days ago

149 posts - 258 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: English*, GermanC1, Danish
Studies: Swedish, French, Icelandic

Message 8 of 65
20 April 2011 at 10:24am | IP Logged 
Keilan wrote:
Ah, the endless battle surfaces once more. :) Namely, those who adhere to prescriptive grammar versus the unending waves of change. Every generation there are people who cringe at the "bad" language of the future generation and how it's getting worse and worse. The same people who feel a word isn't a word until it gets put in the dictionary.

Language is constantly changing, and the idea of forcing a correct form is somewhat silly, and more importantly impossible. If all the schools and dictionaries and writing rules currently existing in the English speaking world weren't enough to stop "good" from changing into an adverb, then I really doubt we'll learn how to stop that change anytime soon.

In my opinion, the only way one can use "incorrect" English is a slip of the tongue. On the other hand, who am I to say that "We ain't got no pizza in no house" is bad English? It's just a case of forcing my set of grammar rules on people who have perfectly usable rules of their own.

On the other hand, languages do have rules: that's what makes them work. The fact the we agree that A means this but B means this is precisely what allows us to communicate in the first place. Oh, of course the rules change over time, and there's no reason we shouldn't throw out the ones that nobody follows anymore or write down new ones which they do follow yet which haven't been listed. But to draw from this the conclusion that all variations are equally valid is going a bit too far.

Case in point: this is the internet, so I have little doubt that everyone reading this has many times come across pieces of writing which had such impressively bad spelling and grammar that they are completely impossible to understand. Or which are possible to understand, but which seem to have hilarious, unintended double meanings. Or which just plain look and sound funny. No one calls these acceptable, legitimate variants of the language. Why? Because they impede understanding.

The idea that all debate over rules and standard forms of languages can be reduced to armed skirmishes between two camps of mutually hostile camps of Prescriptivists and Descriptivists (between whom fraternization is explicitly forbidden on pain of death) is rather misguided, and probably the result of too many people having bad experiences with hyper-pedantic English (or other language) teachers who were convinced that passive voice, split infinitives, prepositions at the end of a sentence or various other bogeymen were the work of the devil. Yet standard forms of a language exist for a reason: to provide some sort of consistent version that speakers can understand over a wide area regardless of what sort of idiosyncrasies their respective local versions may have (an especially important thing in such a mobile world as our own). And what seems like a perfectly ordinary if non-standard turn of phrase to you and I might seem outright bizarre or even outright confusing for the Whos down in Whoville, and vice-versa. Which is why we have a codified standard form that we try teach everybody, with the goal that we have some sort of agreed upon set of "correct" forms which we regard as the official version which we use for official purposes, regardless of how we may talk to our immediate peers. Now, we'll update this over time if it starts seriously diverge from how people actually speak (remembering as we do that "how people actually speak" is by no means a monolithic thing, and that a rule which may seem obsolete in our neck of the woods may still be very much alive elsewhere), but that doesn't mean that the rules are completely imaginary. The fact is that people do learn them and hold to them--if they didn't, none of use would be able to even have this discussion in the first place, let alone be trying to decipher the rules of various other language systems, being instead forced to throw up our hands and admit there is no agreed upon set of rules, and we might as well all just crouch in the corner clutching our knees, rock back and forth and babble endlessly to ourselves in our own respective non-mutually intelligible idiolects.

11 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 65 messages over 9 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version