Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
16 messages over 2 pages: 1
ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5938 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 9 of 16
01 May 2011 at 6:25am | IP Logged 
getreallanguage wrote:
Parece que te estás divirtiendo como loco. In bocca al lupo! Ik heb ook veel lol met het Nederlands. Veel succes!

Niet zoals een gek maar zoals iemand dat z’n werk wil vermijden. :P Hoe gaat het trouwens met jouw Nederlands? Vind je het een gemakkelijke taal of is het moeilijk voor jou? Dank je wel in ieder geval en ik hoop dat ook jij een prettige ervaring met je nieuwe taal zal hebben!
1 person has voted this message useful

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5938 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian

Message 10 of 16
05 May 2011 at 8:15am | IP Logged 
SIX WEEK INDONESIAN CHALLENGE
Day: 3-6
New Study Time: 45 minutes
Total Study Time: 172 minutes (2 hr, 52 min)
Average Study Time: 28.7 minutes/day

Lots going on lately, it's just that almost none of it was Indonesian-related. I've been busy with schoolwork and most of my language study time has been dedicated thus far to German and French, which I'm taking AP tests in on Friday and Tuesday respectively. I've also been sick, so that certainly hasn't helped either. But to be honest, the biggest factor is that I simply haven't been all that motivated to work on Indonesian over the past few days. I got a notification from Amazon.fr either yesterday or the day before (I forget) saying that my Assimil Indonesian book has finally shipped. I hope that once it arrives I will be less busy and my motivation will increase.

As for what I've done... Not much. I've listened to the Learning Indonesian Podcasts #7-10 and worked on some extra vocabulary drills with Anki. I'm tired so I'm not going to try to write anything in Indonesian tonight. Were I to be using Twitter with everyone else, my 172 minutes would put me in...oh god. I'd be in 36th place, tied with Wing_Suet. I'm doing even worse than I thought. My goal will be to "place" (quotation marks since I won't actually show up on the list) within the top 30 by the end of the challenge. I have no idea if that's reasonable or not.

Selamat malam!

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5938 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 

Message 11 of 16
06 May 2011 at 7:55am | IP Logged 
Day: 7
New Study Time: 60 minutes
Total Study Time: 232 minutes (3 hr, 52 min)
Average Study Time: 33.1 minutes/day

Okay, so I'm a bit better as far as Indonesian is concerned than I was yesterday. I just finished a full hour of study and I quite enjoyed it. Sometimes just getting through the first lesson in the book is the breakthrough moment that will allow you to gain momentum...or so I hope, because that's precisely what I did this evening.

First of all, I spent a while reviewing my Anki deck so that all of the words (currently 242) which I have entered will have been reviewed instead of waiting for the program to present them to me daily, as I normally do. I'm all caught up on that now. Next, I finished reading quickly through lesson one of TY Complete Indonesian and made a vocabulary list of about 30 words and threw it into BYKI to study. All done! I have to say, I really like some of the new Indonesian words/phrases I learned. They're just so fun to say!
- perusahaan (company)
- pengusaha (businessman)
- Senang berkenalan dengan anda (juga). (Pleased to meet you (too).)
- tembakau (tobacco)

As for my ranking... It leaves a lot to be desired. Even with my impressive hour-long effort, I've sunk even further down on the list. I'd be in 38th place! This is unacceptable. Are you sure you all are telling the whole truth about how much time you've spent? Either that or you're all just way more disciplined and studious than I am, which I refuse to believe.

Élan
United States
Joined 5240 days ago

165 posts - 211 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Persian

Message 12 of 16
09 May 2011 at 12:54pm | IP Logged 
Don't worry about your ranking! The important thing is that you're having fun. I love pronouncing Malay words too. A lot of the "Westerners" in my class have trouble with the pronunciation, but I really enjoy putting on the best accent I can. I think Persian sounds beautiful whereas Malay is just fun to speak!

Bahasa Malaysia/Indonesia terbaik!

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6266 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 13 of 16
09 May 2011 at 8:35pm | IP Logged 
ellasevia wrote:
As for my ranking... It leaves a lot to be desired. Even with my
impressive hour-long effort, I've sunk even further down on the list. I'd be in 38th
place! This is unacceptable. Are you sure you all are telling the whole truth about how
much time you've spent? Either that or you're all just way more disciplined and studious
than I am, which I refuse to believe.

I think it's that we have interesting things to do... like I can easily get in 45 minutes
of Spanish just by watching Star Trek dubbed into Spanish, or reading "2001: A Space
Odyssey" in Spanish.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6499 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 14 of 16
10 May 2011 at 2:35am | IP Logged 
I am not into competitions, but I spent 3 hours this evening on wordlists in Bahasa Indonesia. Besides I have watched TV in Spanish for at least one hour, and I'm not really sure that I learned any new words - but it is good training (and also relatively easy once you have reached the necessary skill level). I have always wondered how you can compare different activities based on time spent, and therefore I rarely note down how much time I spend.

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6266 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 15 of 16
10 May 2011 at 9:55am | IP Logged 
Quote:
I have always wondered how you can compare different activities based on time
spent, and therefore I rarely note down how much time I spend.

Well, spending 2 hours on vocabulary as opposed to 2 hours on grammar or 2 hours on n+1
input will of course have vastly different effects. However, I'm hoping that in the
grand total of things and on a rough scale, someone who put in 100 hours into a new
language will have a better level than someone who put in 50 hours, no matter the
activity (as long as it's 100% focussed on learning).

The results wouldn't even have to be straight comparable for this challenge, if we're
competing in who can put in the most hours. One part of that is to encourage people to
be creative to squeeze more language-learning time out of their day, for example by
practising in the shower, while cooking, while commuting, while sun-bathing etc.

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5938 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 

Message 16 of 16
19 May 2011 at 6:40am | IP Logged 
Day: 8-20
New Study Time: 81 minutes
Total Study Time: 313 minutes (5 hr, 13 min)
Average Study Time: 15.7 minutes/day

I'm back finally! Sadly I haven't actually had the chance to study Indonesian since May 7th, but I thought I should check in anyways since it's been a while. Also, my Assimil Indonesian book finally arrived today so I actually have some good motivation to work on it. Since I last reported, however, I completed lesson two of TY Complete Indonesian and studied the vocabulary in BYKI. I've also been reviewing my vocabulary diligently every day in Anki, but I don't count Anki reviews as study time as a rule.

I've been extremely busy with various things lately. First I had AP exams to deal with. Those are all over now, my last one being exactly a week ago. Then we have the madness associated with the end of the year combined with having to make up work for all of the time I missed for the AP exams. This Friday is essentially our last day of school, and then Monday through Thursday of next week we just have finals and then on Friday I'm heading off to Greece for a month. All of this was also worsened by the fact that I haven't exactly been in a good mental space for a couple months (since August if we want to be picky, and for the last several years if we want to be even pickier) which was aggravated by the trauma of realizing that both of my best friends are graduating this year while I'm left behind and other bothersome things which have made it difficult for me to concentrate on anything. But enough complaining.

I promise to make more of an effort in the next days and weeks. I have already given up any aspirations I once had of coming anywhere near some of the spectacular scores on the Twitter page so at this point I'm just aiming to be able to say that I accomplished something in Indonesian.

Selamat malam!

This discussion contains 16 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version