1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Spanish*, Catalan*
Studies: English

Message 1 of 93
02 May 2011 at 4:32pm | IP Logged 
I want you to know that I have a Youtube channel here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/albertosanag

I have five videos. Any criticism is welcomed.

Thank you.

1 person has voted this message useful

tbone
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4779 days ago

92 posts - 132 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish, Russian

Message 2 of 93
02 May 2011 at 5:51pm | IP Logged 
Have to agree. You put up a rough draft. Listen to it and see if you wouldn't like to do it over again. You're allowed
to!

By the way, you're saying "tarjet" instead of target, as if you're using the 'g' from 'large'. Use the 'g' from 'guess' or
'get' instead.

Edited by tbone on 02 May 2011 at 5:53pm

slucido
Bilingual Diglot
Spain
https://goo.gl/126Yv
Joined 6463 days ago

1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds

Message 3 of 93
02 May 2011 at 5:52pm | IP Logged 
Cainntear, If you want some new content, you can read the two psychologicalproblems videos. I have not read anything about that anywhere.

I am very sorry. I have scripts, but I do not read them.
Here you have the script I wrote for my first two videos.

------------------------------------------------

What do we have to do to learn a new language? It is a difficult question to answer. The more one reads, the more confused one can get. Some people recommend method “a,” other people recommend method “b” and other people method “c.” Some people who strongly recommend one method can scathingly critique others. This often happens with commercial methods, but occurs with scholarly methods as well.

My question is: Is it possible that language learning is actually much more easier than we perceive it to be? Are we making this much more difficult than it really is?

Over the last several years of reading, listening to and reading again about experts’ and lay people’s opinions regarding language learning, I have found that whole matter boils down to a few principles. My first basic conclusion was simple:

The most important factor is the time you spend on the task.

This is true no matter what method you use. Spending time with the language you want to acquire is unavoidable. Native speakers are much more skilled than foreign language learners. What’s the main difference between them?

Time. Since they were born, native speakers have interacted with their language between eight and sixteen hours every day. How can you expect to speak a foreign language at an advanced level without spending a lot of time doing so? I think the answer is obvious.

Fine, but what about approaching the language itself? You can spend a lot of time reading Spanish books, but if you want to learn Mandarin it won’t help much, since you won’t understand the characters at all.

What are the factors that refer to the language itself?

Input and output.

If you want to learn a language to an advanced degree, you will need to spend a lot of time with your target language, specifically with input and ouput.

What is input? Listening and reading your target language.

What is output? Speaking and writing.

What order do you have to use? Does it make any difference?

I don’t think so. I think it doesn’t matter what order you use. Some people may find themselves confused about this because of the contradictory advice they have received from experts or so-called experts.

Do whatever you feel like. Do whatever you believe you have to do. Follow your feelings. If you think that starting from the very beginning is the way, go for it. If you think that eight hundred hours of listening is the best way, go for it. As long as your approach has input and output, if you spend enough time learning, you will succeed.

We have time, input and ouput. Is it possible to break this idea down even further? Is it possible to reduce all this to a simple idea?

Yes. The word is repetition. This is the key word.

Learning languages is a business of repetition. The best method is the method that keeps you repeating. You can repeat short sentences or whole books; you can repeat whole sitcoms or repeat them scene by scene. Your repetitions may be readings of scientific articles, pulp fiction or classical literature. You can use a global repetition approach or a specific approach. It doesn’t matter. Don’t pay any attention to people that claim that one certain method of repetition is the best.

The best method is the method that helps you keep making repetitions of learning tasks (listening, reading, speaking or writing) without the tasks feeling onerous or you feeling bored. The best teacher is the one who helps you make repetitions without you being aware of the work that goes into it. Remember that you are the most important factor in your learning. That’s everything. It’s that easy.

--------------

Anyawy. Thank you.
Alberto S

Edited by slucido on 04 May 2011 at 6:55pm

slucido
Bilingual Diglot
Spain
Joined 6463 days ago

1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds

Message 4 of 93
02 May 2011 at 5:55pm | IP Logged 
tbone wrote:
Have to agree. You put up a rough draft. Listen to it and see if you wouldn't like to do it over again. You're allowed
to!

By the way, you're saying "tarjet" instead of target, as if you're using the 'g' from 'large'. Use the 'g' from 'guess' or
'get' instead.

Thank you. I always make the same mistake.

P.S. Where is caintear message?

Edited by slucido on 02 May 2011 at 5:58pm

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5635 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 5 of 93
02 May 2011 at 5:58pm | IP Logged 
You have look on language learning form a psychological point of view. This is a new approach in the You Tube language learning community. Interesting!

Fasulye

newyorkeric
Diglot
Singapore
Joined 6167 days ago

1598 posts - 2174 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian
Studies: Mandarin, Malay
Personal Language Map

Message 6 of 93
02 May 2011 at 5:59pm | IP Logged 
Cainntear's post was deleted.

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5799 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 7 of 93
02 May 2011 at 9:33pm | IP Logged 
Slucido,

Fair enough. Despite making several mistakes (which are the same as you would make in writing), you speak quite clearly and naturally, so it sounded to me as though you were ad-libbing. I'm actually quite impressed.

slucido
Bilingual Diglot
Spain
Joined 6463 days ago

1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds

Message 8 of 93
03 May 2011 at 10:22am | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:
Slucido,

Fair enough. Despite making several mistakes (which are the same as you would make in writing), you speak quite clearly and naturally, so it sounded to me as though you were ad-libbing. I'm actually quite impressed.

OK. Here you have a new video. In this time reading in Català.

http://www.youtube.com/user/albertosanag?feature=mhum#p/u/4/ gffEjgkLpPc

This discussion contains 93 messages over 12 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version