Bilingual Diglot
United States
Joined 4816 days ago

17 posts - 18 votes
Speaks: English*, Punjabi*
Studies: German

Message 1 of 15
04 May 2011 at 6:32am | IP Logged 
How different are the two dialects? Could a person from Hamburg understand someone from Munich or Vienna?
1 person has voted this message useful

Doitsujin
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5114 days ago

1256 posts - 2363 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 2 of 15
04 May 2011 at 8:34am | IP Logged 
Plattdeutsch (Low German) and Bairisch (Austro-Bavarian) are two completely different dialects that have very little in common. Speakers of each dialect would have a very hard time understanding each other without prior exposure to the dialect.
I can understand Plattdeutsch, but only because my grandparents spoke it, and when I lived in Munich a couple of years ago, it took me a while to get the hang of Bairisch, but I ended up using mostly Hochdeutsch (Standard German) except for some common greetings.
Have a look at the Bairisch lernen thread for another perspective on this.
2 persons have voted this message useful

William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6066 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, French

Message 3 of 15
04 May 2011 at 1:43pm | IP Logged 
Many of the German dialects are mutually unintelligible, and I suspect people from Munich or Vienna would have real problems with Hamburg dialect (and vice versa). People from Vienna even have trouble with the Vorarlberg dialect of Austria's extreme west, where the dialects spoken are Alemannic.   

William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6066 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, French

Message 4 of 15
05 May 2011 at 1:11pm | IP Logged 
To add to the foregoing, Hochdeutsch has as one of its functions the role of a
standardised language that is above dialects, though it has some affinities to the Saxon
dialect (which provided the basis for a "chancery" language that was used as a kind of
standard German in some contexts during the late Middle Ages, and which influenced
Luther's Bible translation which helped set the seal on standard German).

Edited by William Camden on 05 May 2011 at 1:11pm

Emily232
Ireland
Joined 4845 days ago

19 posts - 29 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 5 of 15
05 May 2011 at 3:09pm | IP Logged 
While they are two very different dialects I would assume that if a person from Hamburg met people from Munich or Vienna they would all make the effort to speak Hochdeutsch and use less regional expressions and slang.

Then they would have little difficulty in understanding each other?
3 persons have voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6497 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 6 of 15
06 May 2011 at 10:06am | IP Logged 
I have seen a few TV programs in the German dialects (mostly in Platt), but even there it is pretty clear that pure no-compromise dialects are rare - I mostly hear something in between a dialect and High German with a local flavour. Of course the last speakers of hardcore dialects might avoid doing it on TV or in the presence of obvious strangers like me, but I doubt that I could stay for weeks in German towns without hearing those 'Mundarts' - for instance in busses, zoos and shops. The situation in Switzerland is somewhat more positive (if you like to hear dialects) - but they write in High German. So my conclusion is that a meeting between hardcore 'monolingual' speakers of incompatible variants of German is an unlikely scenario - they would all end up speaking varieties of High German to each other within a minute or so.

Edited by Iversen on 06 May 2011 at 10:08am

Wastedgrunt36
Bilingual Diglot
United States
Joined 4816 days ago

17 posts - 18 votes
Speaks: English*, Punjabi*
Studies: German

Message 8 of 15
06 May 2011 at 11:47pm | IP Logged 
Thanks everyone, I'm learning Plattdeutsch right now. So Hochdeutsch is the bridging language? What about Mitteldeutsch? Can it be understood by low or high speakers?

Edited by Wastedgrunt36 on 06 May 2011 at 11:48pm

This discussion contains 15 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version