12 messages over 2 pages: 1 2  Next >>
Dylanarama
United States
Joined 5248 days ago

30 posts - 31 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 1 of 12
05 May 2011 at 8:05pm | IP Logged 
Does a location of a certain language determine what it sounds like? Take a language like Persian, since Persian was next to languages like Arabic does it sound the way it does because of that, even though the languages of are different families? Or Finnish, to me Finnish sounds a lot like it's neighbor Swedish even though it is not Indo European. Is this just a coincidence or do languages sometimes end up sounding kind of similar to what they are near? If Persian was spoken in somewhere like Denmark would it end up sounding a little like Norwegian (especially if Norwegian speakers did a lot of trading with the Persian speakers?)?
1 person has voted this message useful

Hampie
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 6468 days ago

625 posts - 1009 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Latin, German, Mandarin

Message 2 of 12
05 May 2011 at 8:57pm | IP Logged 
Swedish and finnish do not use the same vowels. I cannot really see any similarities between the languages. Words
borrowed from Swedish into Finnish undergo big fonological changes, i.e. guld /goold/ which became kulta
/kulltah/.

tractor
Tetraglot
Norway
Joined 5262 days ago

1349 posts - 2292 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, Catalan
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 3 of 12
05 May 2011 at 8:58pm | IP Logged 
I don't think Swedish and Finnish sound alike at all. Finland Swedish phonology might share a few traits with Finnish
due to language contact, but still I wouldn't say they sound alike. I don't think Swedish and Sami or Norwegian and
Sami sound alike either. Neither do Finnish and Russian. Neither do German and Polish, German and Czech, German
and French, German and Hungarian or German and Italian.

Edited by tractor on 05 May 2011 at 9:02pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6965 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 4 of 12
05 May 2011 at 9:08pm | IP Logged 
Dylanarama wrote:
Does a location of a certain language determine what it sounds like? Take a language like Persian, since Persian was next to languages like Arabic does it sound the way it does because of that, even though the languages of are different families? Or Finnish, to me Finnish sounds a lot like it's neighbor Swedish even though it is not Indo European. Is this just a coincidence or do languages sometimes end up sounding kind of similar to what they are near? If Persian was spoken in somewhere like Denmark would it end up sounding a little like Norwegian (especially if Norwegian speakers did a lot of trading with the Persian speakers?)?

Perhaps in a very vague way involving certain features..

For example, I read somewhere that vowel harmony as observed in most Uralic and Altaic languages may be an areal feature (i.e. it was used in one of these language families (or a subgroup) and spread to languages throughout northern and central Eurasia. Something similar may be said about tones in certain Asian languages. Even though Chinese, Vietnamese, Thai and Punjabi aren't considered to be genetically related, it is interesting that all of them are tonal. Again perhaps one of the predecessors of these language became/had been tonal, and then somehow influenced the speakers of neighbouring languages, regardless of whether those languages were genetically-related to the source.

However, it's very hard to define things since we're talking about how something "sounds" to others. tractor's example with German is a clear one about how it stands out sonically from its Romance, Slavonic and Finno-Ugric-speaking neighbours.

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5190 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 6 of 12
05 May 2011 at 10:12pm | IP Logged 
While certain sound features do spread across language families (such as R in Europe), there is no basis for what you say. Russian doesn't sound like Finnish, Chinese, Mongolian or Korean, French doesn't sound like Dutch, German doesn't sound like Polish, etc.

kyssäkaali
Diglot
United States
Joined 5362 days ago

203 posts - 376 votes 
Speaks: English*, Finnish

Message 7 of 12
08 May 2011 at 7:52pm | IP Logged 
Yeah Finnish does not sound like Swedish in the slightest. Swedish sounds entirely foreign. Just listen to the differences between Sweden Swedish and Finland Swedish, the latter of which has Finnish vowels in it. It does sound like its neighbouring Saame languages and also Estonian, but that's because they all broke off from a common language vuonna nakki ja makkara.

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5575 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 8 of 12
08 May 2011 at 11:03pm | IP Logged 
Yes, that's also the reason why Icelandic reminds me of Mongolian and Cherokee of Cantonese.

But, actually - you might have a point there when it comes to bilingual areas. I remember that the first time I heard Alsatian French, I was surprised to hear a group of French women speaking German ... and then I cam closer and realized that it was French.

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version