norwegianthroughnove
Joined 5212 days ago

439 posts - 800 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Norwegian

Message 9 of 13
14 May 2011 at 2:51am | IP Logged 
Ari wrote:
I recall reading about Spanish books that start in English and successively replace some words with Spanish. It is
done so that you can always understand the new words from context, so ideally all you have to do is to keep
reading and at the end, you're reading a book in 100% Spanish. I realize this isn't exactly what you asked about, but
it might interest you, nonetheless.

I had wondered if there were books like that available. Any idea where you might have read about it? I'd love to get my hands on books of that type.
1 person has voted this message useful

alegnab
United States
Joined 4735 days ago

4 posts - 8 votes
Studies: Spanish, French

Message 10 of 13
16 May 2011 at 6:59pm | IP Logged 
I don't know of any books like you described, but I enjoyed reading the series of novels by Command Performance Language Institute (http://www.cpli.net/tprstorytelling/spanish.html). They are the easiest-to-read novels that I have found. The grammar becomes more difficult with each level (not book). In addition to being available from the publisher, they are sold by Amazon and are eligible for the 4-for-3 promotion. The stories are written for children (the Fluency Fast series) and teens, and they teach respect for other cultures. The books have glossaries in the back, so you won't need a dictionary while reading. If you're interested, I can post a sample from one of the books in each level.

BTW, the books are available in other languages, too.

dbag
United Kingdom
Joined 4816 days ago

605 posts - 1046 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 11 of 13
16 May 2011 at 11:30pm | IP Logged 
I have been given "querias vaciones, stilton" as a gift: http://www.casadellibro.com/libro-querias-vacaciones-stilton -geronimo-stilton/2900001055730

This book is fantastic for begining to read slightly more complicated Spanish. I find I can catch the general drift of large sections, yet it remains quite challenging for my level.

It is reasonably substantitative for a childrens book, at around 128 pages.

There are certain things about this book which make it great for learners: Lots of illusttrations which help you to guess context, and certain words appearing in a different font or colour to highlight their meaning.

Well worth a look, in my book.

Edited by dbag on 17 May 2011 at 12:14am

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5056 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 12 of 13
17 May 2011 at 1:30am | IP Logged 
You could try the Centro Virtual Cervantes Lecturas paso a paso The Cervantes Center has short novelas/stories you can read on-line with three levels- beginner, intermediate and advanced. The texts explain words and idiomatic phrases in Spanish and have activities to perform before and after reading.

megazver
Triglot
Lithuania
Joined 5788 days ago

34 posts - 52 votes 
Speaks: Lithuanian, Russian*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Polish

Message 13 of 13
17 May 2011 at 3:49pm | IP Logged 
I think reading an easy popular book like The Little Prince or the Harry Potter series will be of more use to you than reading specialized Readers, since it'll help out if you decide to read them in some other language. So if you read The Little Prince in Spanish, not only will you acquaint yourself with a pretty good work of fiction, you'll already know what it's about if you try to read it in Mandarin.

This discussion contains 13 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version