Joined 3540 days ago

162 posts - 207 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: Italian, Spanish, French

Message 41 of 45
31 August 2014 at 11:42pm | IP Logged 
marklewis1234 wrote:
Hi,
I occasionaly use flashcards for learning vocabulary, are these considered useful? Or a there better alternatives to
use?

For me flashcards is boring and not to helpful I prefer extensive reading and listening.
1 person has voted this message useful

cpnlsn88
Triglot
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 4832 days ago

63 posts - 112 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Spanish, Esperanto, Latin

Message 42 of 45
03 September 2014 at 9:36pm | IP Logged 
For most of my learning I have absorbed new words in a naturalistic way and generally
doing a good job of retaining new words so wouldn't use anki. Now however I am using
anki but no more than 30 minutes a day, usually less, during the time I spend on public
transport.

The thing I would convey is that my use of anki is rooted in promoting communicative
proficiency, not just cramming hundreds of words. To illustrate this, two of the
problems I faced (in German) were to be able to use gender and relevant plural (German
plurals are quite irregular). To not know a plural or a gender exacts a cost in
communicative competency. Not a great one to be sure, a slight hesitation while one
makes one's best guess, nevertheless on words that are common and that I have learned
but tend to forget it is a real drag to keep forgetting things. Of course in fluency
terms it might be better to just get it wrong (i.e. not be too aware or care too much)
because then your flow of speech isn't perturbed and the only downside is people will
work out you're not a native speaker which, of course, they'll know already!

Anyhow anki is my solution to this problem, simply by some repeated exposure, which if
I forget I can repeat more frequently. The idea being to strengthen the memory by
spaced repetition in order to aid fluency. An other area I find it helpful is in
remembering names of international organisations that I might talk about where I want
to do so fluently and not have to reconstruct the word from first principles (for
example when talking about the European Convention on Human Rights and so on).

Overall I think exposure to comprehensible input is the way to learn a language, so I
wouldn't make flashcards the mainstay, or even do it all the time but it can play a
role.

Finally I should mention that I would use anki for any words I want to use more
frequently in every day speech, idioms, loan words (especially from English) and
numbers in newer languages. I guess it has infinite uses really, just so long as anki
is working for you not the other way around. You shouldn't be using anki because it's a
good thing to do but because it's solving a problem you have.
4 persons have voted this message useful

doodoofan
Tetraglot
Vietnam
japanesetest4you.com
Joined 4510 days ago

19 posts - 25 votes
Speaks: Vietnamese*, English, Mandarin, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Spanish

Message 43 of 45
13 September 2014 at 1:27pm | IP Logged 
Flashcards are good in someway. I wouldn't recommend using flashcards to learn English vocabulary,
because there are better ways to do it, like reading novels. However, flashcards work like magic when you try
to remember Japanese Kanji. I created flashcards by myself with Heisig's Remembering the Kanji book and
learned them every day. The Kanjis sticked into my brain for a very long time.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6377 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 44 of 45
16 September 2014 at 7:42am | IP Logged 
My breakthrough moments in Cantonese and Spanish have both been flashcard related. For
Cantonese it was a deck of 5,000 characters in both directions. Working through this
deck really elevated my reading to a whole new level. I still expand the deck by adding
every new character I encounter. Before, I'd do reading, but I'd be hampered by those
characters where I thought I probably knew the pronunciation but wasn't sure. Should I
look them up or move on? Add to this that there are no audiobooks in Cantonese.

In Spanish the breakthrough was smaller, but working through a deck with all irregular
verbs and their conjugations made my speaking a lot better.

Other than that, I do have decks where I add interesting new words I encounter. I often
find myself wanting to learn words whether or not they're commonly used, just because I
really like the words in question. Doubly so for characters where I've memorized
Cantonese characters for common words that nobody knows how to write (except me!). I do
single word flashcards, usually L2 to L1, but sometimes L1 to L2 when I find myself
wanting to say something and can't find the word.

I love flashcards, I find them fun, and I enjoy watching the progress stats. I don't
see them as a replacement for massive input, but they're a great tool to, above all,
speed up the way there. I don't enjoy doing extensive reading or listening when I can't
understand most of what's being said.
2 persons have voted this message useful

robarb
Nonaglot
United States
languagenpluson
Joined 4854 days ago

361 posts - 921 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese, English*, German, Italian, Spanish, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, French
Studies: Mandarin, Danish, Russian, Norwegian, Cantonese, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Greek, Latin, Nepali, Modern Hebrew

Message 45 of 45
16 September 2014 at 9:45am | IP Logged 
I don't use flashcards at all in languages that are related to ones I know. In those languages, reading and listening
are enough for the words to stick because cognates serve as a memory aid. For languages unrelated to ones I know,
I drill words I've recently encountered in Anki, because otherwise my retention rate is too low to grow my vocabulary
quickly. This is never a replacement for input and output- the idea is just to improve retention, not learn a lot of
new things.

Basically, I wouldn't use flashcards unless your vocabulary is failing to grow (i.e. you aren't retaining many new
words from input).

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 45 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version