Diglot
United States
Joined 5275 days ago

173 posts - 235 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Spanish, Norwegian, Mandarin, French

Message 1 of 37
07 June 2011 at 6:36pm | IP Logged 
I was just wondering what you all were using to play cassettes? I have had several
cassette players but they have all kind of broke on me. I am looking for an inexpensive
but good one online now and many of them have terrible reviews. I was wondering if
anyone could recommend me a good one for a reasonable price. I have a lot of learning
material on cassettes and without a player they are all pretty useless.
1 person has voted this message useful

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4925 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 2 of 37
07 June 2011 at 6:49pm | IP Logged 
A while back I bought this cassette to MP3 player/converter.

The sound quality is good enough and it was inexpensive. Tapes degrade badly over time, so it was important for me to be able to save what I had on cassette to another medium.

R.
==

meramarina
Diglot
United States
Joined 5762 days ago

1341 posts - 2303 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Italian, French
Personal Language Map

Message 3 of 37
07 June 2011 at 6:53pm | IP Logged 
None for me - I got a really nice set of tapes at a thrift shop, assuming I could also find a secondhand cassette player someplace, and never did. Maybe eBay has something. I wonder how many of use still use tapes? My local library still has some tape-based learning programs but they don't seem to be popular. I don't think I've used a tape/cassette in 20 years or so and I'm not even too technologically advanced!

Maybe "tapes" in this room's titles should be changed to "audio files" or something else, unless many of us still use them. I'd keep looking for a cheap old cassette player, but this plus the tapes just takes up too much room and I'm more likely to just get rid of the things!

EDIT: the converter is a good idea.

Edited by meramarina on 07 June 2011 at 6:54pm

Elexi
United Kingdom
Joined 5360 days ago

938 posts - 1839 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 5 of 37
07 June 2011 at 7:18pm | IP Logged 
I have a 90s hi fi system that has a cassette player in it and I record out direct into a Zoom H4 via a RCA/Phono into 1/4 inch jack lead that I purchased on Amazon in 24 bit .wav mode.

I then use Reaper to edit the tapes into tracks using a de-esser plug in to take out hiss and a master/limiter to boost the signal. I then render the tracks to MP3. Works fine, if a little time consuming.

Another good basic program for editing tapes is Spin It Again.

akprocks
United States
Joined 5081 days ago

178 posts - 258 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German

Message 6 of 37
07 June 2011 at 9:34pm | IP Logged 
I have a boombox I bought for 10 bucks at a garage sale. If you live in the US the GoodWill is perfect to find cheap and retro cassette players, portable or otherwise.

Andrew C
Diglot
United Kingdom
naturalarabic.com
Joined 4985 days ago

205 posts - 350 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Written)

Message 7 of 37
07 June 2011 at 10:23pm | IP Logged 
I've got a Sony TCM 939 . It's really old school, but they still make them and I find it great. Sound is nothing brilliant, but it has a counter, you can ff/rew whilst hearing and you can record with the inbuilt mic. It's very reliable and never chews tapes.

tractor
Tetraglot
Norway
Joined 5248 days ago

1349 posts - 2292 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, Catalan
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 8 of 37
08 June 2011 at 1:00am | IP Logged 
As others have already suggested, the best thing you can do is to is to digitise them as soon as you can. If you can
get hold of an old cassette deck with RCA or headphone jacks, you can hook it up to your computer with a cheap
cable.

Audacity is free program that can be used to record, edit and convert the sound files to MP3.

Once done, you'll never regret having digitised them.

Edited by tractor on 08 June 2011 at 1:02am

This discussion contains 37 messages over 5 pages: 2 3 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version