Joined 5880 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 9 of 9
24 June 2011 at 8:07pm | IP Logged 
Fasulye wrote:
Generally language teachers who are not native can explain the grammar of their foreign language easier because they have own learning experience with this language.

Fasulye

I totally agree with this. I had to learn how Germans teach English grammar so that I could tutor them after school. That was definitely the right thing. Meanwhile I've gotten used to teaching it the way that the German teachers do. I suppose if I had to teach English to another non-native learner, say a Spanish-speaker, I'd have to first reexamine how to teach it. I've often wondered if I could help the Turkish Eng-learners better if I knew Turkish. They often have problems learning English with German (their second language) as a basis.

The only thing that most non-native teachers have trouble with are the progressive forms. I can also proofread better and give better writing suggestions. If advanced writing or speaking is a goal, then it's logical to turn to a native speaker. In the school system however, I rarely get the opportunity to use my advantage as a native speaker.

Edited by Sunja on 24 June 2011 at 8:26pm

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 9 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version