526 posts - 536 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: Mandarin
Personal Language Map

Message 17 of 24
10 May 2006 at 3:48am | IP Logged 
maxb wrote:
It is difficult to say. Basically any dialog based course would do, like Teach Yourself Chinese, Colloquial Chinese and so on. You might even find some dialouges on the internet. At the beginning stage I don't think you should worry about the dialouges being spoken slowly. The important thing is that the intonation is reasonably natural. I so wish I had used this method when starting out instead of spending countless hours imitating Pimsleur and FSI tapes.

But Max, your intonation is so natural and excellent (according to Tony). So how can you be against what you actually did? How can you be so certain that the proposed method would be better?
1 person has voted this message useful

maxb
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 6980 days ago

536 posts - 589 votes 
7 sounds
Speaks: Swedish*, English

Message 18 of 24
10 May 2006 at 8:41am | IP Logged 
Keith wrote:

But Max, your intonation is so natural and excellent (according to Tony). So how can you be against what you actually did? How can you be so certain that the proposed method would be better?

Because I noticed a significant improvement in my ability to mimick FSI tapes after a period of intensive listening.
In november last year I was studying module 7 of "Standard chinese a modular approach". Then I decided to stop and try learning from some real content instead. I did that for about two months. All by intensive listening. Then I tried listening again to the FSI tape. Suddenly imitating these tapes was much easier than before. When I stopped I sometimes had to replay a sentence several times before I could get it.
After two months of listening I had no problems imitating the sentence having only heard it once.

solidsnake
Diglot
China
Joined 6838 days ago

469 posts - 488 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin

Message 19 of 24
10 May 2006 at 2:04pm | IP Logged 
During that two months of listening max, did you speak much at all
(outside of your practice sessions) or were pretty much mute the whole
time (Chinese-wise)?

Also, I remember reading you mentioning audiobooks somewhere on
here. Can recommend a couple good ones, and where to buy as well?
Thanks-

Edited by solidsnake on 10 May 2006 at 2:32pm

maxb
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 6980 days ago

536 posts - 589 votes 
7 sounds

Message 20 of 24
11 May 2006 at 6:12am | IP Logged 
solidsnake wrote:
During that two months of listening max, did you speak much at all
(outside of your practice sessions) or were pretty much mute the whole
time (Chinese-wise)?

No I wasn't I spoke chinese frequently so maybe that helped too I really can't say. However when I used chinese it was for conversation I wasn't corrected in any way. My feeling is that speaking alone won't get you a better accent. I think it was listening alot that improved it, but of course I have no way of knowing for sure. So I maybe wrong about the effect of the listening.
However before starting the intesive listening period I was also frequently speaking in chinese. So this makes me believe that it was the listening period that did the trick.
Anyway I plan to use this method when I start studying cantonese, since I have zero opportunities to practice cantonese right now I'll be able to try it out better.

Edited by maxb on 11 May 2006 at 6:19am

Hencke
Tetraglot
Spain
Joined 6691 days ago

2340 posts - 2444 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Finnish, EnglishC2, Spanish
Personal Language Map

Message 21 of 24
11 May 2006 at 6:49am | IP Logged 
David Hallgren wrote:
- For vocabulary and hanzi I've adopted the two computer programs I created when studying Japanese to be able to handle Chinese. The basic idea is a flashcard-like interface with cards moving between decks automatically so that words I know well show up less frequently and vice versa.

This REALLY caught my attention. I have been on the lookout for flashcard software, and there are lots of them out there but each one I have looked at so far have been flawed in one way or another, considering the particular needs for Chinese. I was actually toying with the idea to start writing something myself, but I will probably not have the time.

Any chance of sharing your program ?

David Hallgren
Triglot
Groupie
Sweden
davidhallgren.se
Joined 6792 days ago

40 posts - 43 votes
Speaks: Swedish*, English, Japanese

Message 22 of 24
11 May 2006 at 9:09am | IP Logged 
Right now they're created in MS Access so if you have that I might be able to give it to you. The one for Japanese has much more interesting features so far but I plan to improve the one for Chinese with more specific functions gradually. If you only want a simple flashcard software for vocab, no problems. As for the hanzi program I'd like to fix a few things first and also make sure there are no copyright issues with the data I've put in it.

Kubelek
Tetraglot
Switzerland
chomikuj.pl/Kuba_wal
Joined 6649 days ago

415 posts - 528 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishC2, French, Spanish
Studies: German

Message 23 of 24
11 May 2006 at 7:20pm | IP Logged 
Sounds great, I'm waiting for a final version.

maxb, when should you start the listening period, then? At the very beginning, where everything might seem gibberish? Would this have any positive effect? Or rather wait until the basic conversational level (like you?) and then start using audiobooks and various recordings (although they're still not completely understandable)?

maxb
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 6980 days ago

536 posts - 589 votes 
7 sounds

Message 24 of 24
12 May 2006 at 2:46am | IP Logged 
Kubelek wrote:

maxb, when should you start the listening period, then? At the very beginning, where everything might seem gibberish? Would this have any positive effect? Or rather wait until the basic conversational level (like you?) and then start using audiobooks and various recordings (although they're still not completely understandable)?

I think you should start it right away. But of course you need to understand what you are listening to. So you need a dialouge based course with a textbook. I don't think you should wait to the basic conversational level. As an example I can tell you what I have done for cantonese.
I bought the "Teach Yourself cantonese" course. I took the audio cds and converted them into mp3. Then I edited each mp3 to remove everything but the dialouge. Then I just start listening over and over. At first of course I don't understand a thing. So I simultaneously read the book and look up all words I don't know in the vocabulary list. Having done this a few times I start to feel that I understand the dialouge so then I close the book and just listen. When I take up cantonese seriously I plan to go through the entire "Teach yourself" book in this manner before I attempt to say anything.

This discussion contains 24 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version