Diglot
Joined 6950 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 9 of 39
20 October 2012 at 8:19pm | IP Logged 
I too wonder about the accuracy about the idea about using the nominative as part of a negated existence. In addition, the partitive isn't always the object of a verb involving an emotion even though it often is. In addition to pidän / tykkään s(in)usta (elative) there's rakastuin häneen (illative). On a related note, the "object" of adjectives describing emotions are usually in cases other than the partitive (e.g. Pöysti on kiinnostunut Maisasta (elative), Repomies oli vihainen Pöystille (allative)).

I came to dislike Colloquial Finnish after working through a few chapters and ditched it. The author seems to being trying too hard to make his course different from others just for the sake of being different. The most trouble that I had with it is that the explanations and notation are unconventional and ultimately unhelpful. This will become clearer when you seek a second opinion or clarification on some topic in another textbook for Finnish or the frequently-used reference grammar books for foreigners by Leila White or Fred Karlsson. mick33 wasn't impressed by it either.

However if you can make it through the course, then all the more power to you. Its only useful aspect is that it teaches mainly the colloquial language, although "Kato hei", and to a certain extent "FSI Conversational Finnish" also teach similarly.
3 persons have voted this message useful

caam_imt
Triglot
Mexico
Joined 4656 days ago

232 posts - 357 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2, Finnish
Studies: German, Swedish

Message 10 of 39
20 October 2012 at 9:23pm | IP Logged 
I agree with what has been said above. While verbs like "rakastaa", "vihata" or
"inhota" require the object to be in partitive, not all of "emotion-related" verbs do.
I suggest trying to remember by heart the case that you need to use for each verb (at
least for the most commonly used verbs in speech), just as the article in wikipedia
suggests:

"Rektion asettamat vaatimukset ovat usein sanakohtaisia ja mielivaltaisia; toisin
sanoen ne ovat historiallisen kehityksen tulosta, joka ei ole ennalta pääteltävissä
lausuman merkityksestä käsin. Tämän vuoksi vieraita kieliä opiskeltaessa rektio usein
vaatii runsasta ulkoa opettelua, mikäli opeteltavan kielen rektiosäännöt ovat erilaisia
kuin oman kielen."

Rough translation: The requirements imposed by case governance are frequently
word(verb)-specific and "mischievous"(they "decide" on their own); in other words, they
are the result of historical development, which is not to be readily deduced from the
meaning of the sentence. For this reason, case governance requires plenty of learning
by heart while studying foreign languages, if the foreign language to be studied has
different case governance rules than one's native language.

A nice example I remember is "jäädä", which means to stay or remain somewhere. It was
difficult at first to remember that I had to use the "Illatiivi" case for this verb
(for example, "jään kotiin" I stay home (lit. I stay to home).
2 persons have voted this message useful

caam_imt
Triglot
Mexico
Joined 4656 days ago

232 posts - 357 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2, Finnish
Studies: German, Swedish

Message 11 of 39
20 October 2012 at 9:37pm | IP Logged 
I forgot that, other than the free wiktionary, you can use this book to check on the case
governance of words:
http://www.amazon.com/Tarkista-sanojen-rektioita-vieraana-
opiskeleville/dp/9517920075/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=135076179 0&sr=8-
1&keywords=tarkista+tästä

Edit: tried to make the link look nice but failed :S

Edited by caam_imt on 20 October 2012 at 9:40pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Phantom Kat
Diglot
United States
Joined 4857 days ago

160 posts - 253 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English
Studies: Finnish

Message 12 of 39
23 October 2012 at 2:43am | IP Logged 
Chung wrote:
I too wonder about the accuracy about the idea about using the
nominative as part of a negated existence. In addition, the partitive isn't always the
object of a verb involving an emotion even though it often is. In addition to pidän
/ tykkään s(in)usta
(elative) there's rakastuin häneen
(illative). On a related note, the "object" of adjectives describing emotions are
usually in cases other than the partitive (e.g. Pöysti on kiinnostunut
Maisasta
(elative), Repomies oli vihainen Pöystille
(allative)).

I came to dislike Colloquial Finnish after working through a few chapters and ditched
it. The author seems to being trying too hard to make his course different from others
just for the sake of being different. The most trouble that I had with it is that the
explanations and notation are unconventional and ultimately unhelpful. This will become
clearer when you seek a second opinion or clarification on some topic in another
textbook for Finnish or the frequently-used reference grammar books for foreigners by
Leila White or Fred Karlsson. language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=31352&PN=11#362377">m ick33 wasn't impressed
by it either.

However if you can make it through the course, then all the more power to you. Its only
useful aspect is that it teaches mainly the colloquial language, although "Kato hei",
and to a certain extent "FSI Conversational Finnish" also teach similarly.

Ahh, I see. I'll keep that in mind. I wasn't aware there were so many cases where it
wasn't used. I'll definitely take a note of that and go through the cases in my book to
pick out any explanation they have on emotions.

I know what you mean, though I haven't gone through Colloquial Finnish much.
That's the reason why I'm using it: for the colloquial language. I still prefer
Finnish: An Essential Grammar over it and rely on that when it comes to grammar.
I've used it multiple times to clarify things my beginner's book just skims through
(like consonant gradation).

I dabbled a bit with FSI Finnish, and I want to continue with it soon. As for Kato Hei,
I doubt I'll ever get my hands on that, haha.

- Kat

Phantom Kat
Diglot
United States
Joined 4857 days ago

160 posts - 253 votes 

Message 13 of 39
23 October 2012 at 2:52am | IP Logged 
caam_imt wrote:
I agree with what has been said above. While verbs like "rakastaa",
"vihata" or
"inhota" require the object to be in partitive, not all of "emotion-related" verbs do.
I suggest trying to remember by heart the case that you need to use for each verb (at
least for the most commonly used verbs in speech), just as the article in wikipedia
suggests:

"Rektion asettamat vaatimukset ovat usein sanakohtaisia ja mielivaltaisia; toisin
sanoen ne ovat historiallisen kehityksen tulosta, joka ei ole ennalta pääteltävissä
lausuman merkityksestä käsin. Tämän vuoksi vieraita kieliä opiskeltaessa rektio usein
vaatii runsasta ulkoa opettelua, mikäli opeteltavan kielen rektiosäännöt ovat erilaisia
kuin oman kielen."

Rough translation: The requirements imposed by case governance are frequently
word(verb)-specific and "mischievous"(they "decide" on their own); in other words, they
are the result of historical development, which is not to be readily deduced from the
meaning of the sentence. For this reason, case governance requires plenty of learning
by heart while studying foreign languages, if the foreign language to be studied has
different case governance rules than one's native language.

A nice example I remember is "jäädä", which means to stay or remain somewhere. It was
difficult at first to remember that I had to use the "Illatiivi" case for this verb
(for example, "jään kotiin" I stay home (lit. I stay to home).

Okay, will do. Thanks! I've been meaning to make a list of such verbs to keep on hand,
anyway.

Funny you should mention jäädä. The only reason that verb is ingrained in my
head is because for the longest time I kept seeing jää in songs and wondered,
"Why are Finns always singing about ice?" I'll make a note of this sentence for future
reference, too, because I see myself using this a lot.

As for the book, that looks very helpful, but I don't think I could afford it. So sad.

- Kat

Edited by Phantom Kat on 23 October 2012 at 2:55am

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6391 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 14 of 39
24 October 2012 at 5:07pm | IP Logged 
Phantom Kat wrote:
Funny you should mention jäädä. The only reason that verb is ingrained in my head is because for the longest time I kept seeing jää in songs and wondered, "Why are Finns always singing about ice?"
lol! I think I used to wonder about the word maa in what is actually the third infinitive :D

Phantom Kat
Diglot
United States
Joined 4857 days ago

160 posts - 253 votes 

Message 15 of 39
30 October 2012 at 5:19am | IP Logged 
October 29th, 2012

Finnish

Midterm studying, weekends with parents. And no Finnish studying? Well, nothing
significant other than reviewing. Good thing I have my a roommate who constantly
reminds me that I need to update my log!

Today I began to input the vocabulary (and expressions) of my Beginner's Finnish
books, chapter by chapter, into Anki. My plan is to review the deck for that chapter
then go back and hear the dialogue (either normal speed or slowed down for repetition).
That way the words will be reinforced with sound and sentences in context. There's a
lot of words I still need to integrate, so it'll be fun. I only did the first chapter
today, so I'll try to make decks for the rest of the eleven chapters sometime this
week.

My format for them is English ---> answer with the Finnish equivalent.

(I actually found a typo in the vocabulary list: opiskeilja. Haha, I can't
believe I've never noticed this!)

Does anybody know how to take the audio of a CD and input it into an Anki card? I read
that it can be done with Audacity, but I don't know the specifics.

I read over the Genitive Plural because it's about time I start to talk about more than
one object in my sentences (other than objects in the nominative plural). My Beginner's
book has a rather short table with declined nouns, including the Gen. Plural, and my
grammar book also has a couple of examples. I'll use that for now for making sentences.

By any chance is there a website somewhere that declines nouns? I found a nifty website
for declining verbs in Finnish (it's great to have something to double check on), but I
haven't found anything of the sort for nouns. Google Translate is the best I have for
now.

Oh yeah, I also wrote this sentence while being bored in class. I temporarily forgot
how to decline maito (the first instance in the sentence), and I had two hours
for my class to end to check my Beginner's book. Such torture!

Minä näin sinut eilen, muttet nähnyt minua. Halusin kertoa sinulle että tarvitsemme
maitoa. Meilla on leipää ja voita, mutta meilla ei ole maitoa.

For some reason I always want to write haluisin. I guess my mind just wants to
reiterate the fact that it's in the past tense.

(Feel free to correct anything you see here! ^-^)

It's pretty cool to see that once I only wrote random Finnish words on the margins of
my notes. Now, I can write entire sentences with no reference. Sure I repeat a lot of
the verbs and subjects, and there may be mistakes I may not catch, but it's getting me
somewhere!

That's all for now. I'll update tomorrow!

- Kat

Edited by Phantom Kat on 30 October 2012 at 5:47am

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6950 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 16 of 39
30 October 2012 at 5:35am | IP Logged 
For most vocabulary, Wiktionary for Finnish nouns will contain each word's inflections as a table. Many of the Finnish verbs on Wiktionary also come with tables showing all of the conjugations and relevant non-finite forms (i.e. infinitives and verbal nouns/gerunds).

On a related note there's a morphological analyzer for Finnish, FINTWOL. You type in a Finnish word as you encounter it, and it'll tell you what case (if a noun or adjective) or tense/mood (if a verb) it is.

Unfortunately this isn't quite the same as Estonian's Eesti keele süntesaator or Northern Saami's Generator of paradigms where you enter the citation form of a word and then get a list of the possible inflections. I think that this is what you have in mind when you mention the automated verb conjugator for Finnish.

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 39 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 13 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version