Joined 6950 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 33 of 39
18 December 2012 at 7:29am | IP Logged 
Phantom Kat wrote:
Finals are over with, and I can finally start studying again. I've actually been going
through some the first lessons on Finnish for Foreigners with the workbook and
exercise book, but that's been for review's sake. Now with all of this free time during
the holidays I plan on studying more seriously again. Look out for updates!

In other news, I've joined Team jäŋe / *ledús with Finnish for TAC 2013, my first TAC.
Good luck to all who are participating in TAC!

- Kat

On hienoa opiskella suomea, eikö niin? :-)
2 persons have voted this message useful

Phantom Kat
Diglot
United States
Joined 4857 days ago

160 posts - 253 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English
Studies: Finnish

Message 34 of 39
28 January 2013 at 5:29am | IP Logged 
So I've been basically reviewing notes I have written down on one of my school's
notebooks, which involves mostly the tenses and rather quick mentions of the infinitives.
Possibly the most interesting thing in my notes has to do with the particles -isi
and -han/hän to make questions polite because I always find myself being overly
polite to everyone. I've decided I'm going to work on questions and polite questions
since that's where my mind draws a blank when I'm going back and wondering how well I can
form certain structures.

- Kat

Edited by Phantom Kat on 28 January 2013 at 5:29am

1 person has voted this message useful

Phantom Kat
Diglot
United States
Joined 4857 days ago

160 posts - 253 votes 

Message 35 of 39
13 February 2013 at 5:23am | IP Logged 
Update

So I have been keeping track of my studies through twitter, thanks to the 6 Week
Challenge. So far I have completed Lessons 1 - 4 of Finnish for Foreigners with
the text and exercise book (four hours so far). I have written the exercises and answers,
and have been extremely careful with it all. I'll probably start Finnish FSI from
the very beginning sometime this week and supplement what I've gone through in Finnish
for Foreigners
. I feel that by being this thorough I will really strengthen what
little Finnish I already know.

- Kat

Phantom Kat
Diglot
United States
Joined 4857 days ago

160 posts - 253 votes 

Message 36 of 39
23 February 2013 at 7:28pm | IP Logged 
Update

Updating because since I have an exam coming up and need to catch up on school reading,
I'm not sure when I'll make more significant progress.

So far I have worked up to half of Lesson 7 of Finnish for Foreigners. (I spent 76
minutes on it, too. Man, this lesson gave me some trouble.) There's
something really satisfying in going back and looking through the pages of Finnish
exercises in my notebook. Sentences upon sentences. Notes piled on top of notes. It
really feels like I'm learning a lot, even if I only have around 9 hours clocked in for
this month. So far I really like the pace I'm taking. A lot of these grammar points are
a review: genitive singular, question construction, imperative, etc. However, through
these exercises I'm becoming more comfortable with putting these grammar points in
action, especially the genitive agreement with nouns and adjectives. Vocabulary is also
easier to remember due to writing them over and over again. Also, reciting numbers
comes more fluently now.

Translating from Finnish to English is starting to become less frequent. I tell myself
that I shouldn't translate something if I can understand what the sentence is telling
me, even if it looks a bit weird to my eyes.

I'm looking forward to reviewing the six local cases because I've had little practice
in actually implementing them. The same goes with the partitive singular and plural.

It's also funny because the person who last owned my Exercises book keeps making
mistakes on what little he wrote. "It's ruotsalainen, not ruotsilainen,"
I mutter as I write. Somehow it reinforces what I'm learning.

- Kat

Edited by Phantom Kat on 23 February 2013 at 7:29pm

Phantom Kat
Diglot
United States
Joined 4857 days ago

160 posts - 253 votes 

Message 37 of 39
09 March 2013 at 1:04am | IP Logged 
Spring Break is now upon me, and I plan to do a lesson from Finnish for
Foreigners
every day to log in those final hours for the 6 Week Challenge. (I have
up to Lesson 9 finished.) What I also want to do is
go back to the the reading exercises in the exercises book, input them in the exercise
generator so they can take out words, and do them on my down time.

My big plan is also to use Lang-8 more. I posted one little snippet the other day and
was
surprised to get a response with corrections. The Internet is such a magical and
wonderful place.

Until then!

- Kat

Edited by Phantom Kat on 09 March 2013 at 1:04am

Phantom Kat
Diglot
United States
Joined 4857 days ago

160 posts - 253 votes 

Message 38 of 39
20 April 2013 at 8:25am | IP Logged 
Update

Currently I'm working on Lesson 14 in Finnish for Foreigners, which is pretty
exciting because it deals with the Partitive Singular. I was also super excited for
finishing Lesson 13 because it dealt, aside from he -LLE case, with the -LTA/LTÄ
case, which I could never remember its uses correctly before. I feel so much more
confident now.

School is winding down. Summer will be for Finnish-learning time. Well, part of my summer
at least. I gotta get on top of those summer classes!

- Kat

Edited by Phantom Kat on 20 April 2013 at 8:26am

Phantom Kat
Diglot
United States
Joined 4857 days ago

160 posts - 253 votes 

Message 39 of 39
21 December 2014 at 9:41am | IP Logged 
Update time!

This school semester was perhaps the roughest I've had, but it's understandable considering it was my first
semester interning. Those 1st graders really wear you out. (And waking up before 6am is nothing to shake a stick
at.)

I wanted to say that as a Bilingual Education major these classes have helped my Spanish tremendously. My
academic vocabulary has improved so much after writing so many essays, short answers, and actually reading an
academic textbook in Spanish. My grammar has also improved, and I couldn't help but feel proud of the fact that I
could help others with their writing. Writing Spanish has become much more natural for me after writing lesson plan
after lesson plan. Overall it's been such a great semester, and my last year will bring even more improvement.
(Especially because of the Bilingual Target Language Proficiency Test I need to take.)

My brother has been working hard with his Russian, so I felt it was time to take up Finnish again. I've missed it so
much!

I did Lesson 1 of Finnish for Foreigners because I need a good, hefty refresher. The last thing I want is to pick
up where I left off and realize how much I've forgotten. How depressing! However if I have to repeat
Mikä tämä on? one more time I might punch something. That's what I get for not keeping up with my studying. I'm
still using the practice of writing everything down and putting complete sentences instead of the adequate short
answers. I'm hoping to get at least three lessons done tomorrow. I finished my day by listening and singing along to
my Finnish playlist on Youtube.

(In other news my sister is in Tokyo, and I'm so jealous! All that Japanese. All those opportunities to practice.)

Edited by Phantom Kat on 21 December 2014 at 9:44am

This discussion contains 39 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version