Speaks: EnglishC2*, Norwegian*, Polish*, Italian, Dutch, French
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin

Message 9 of 52
30 August 2011 at 5:27pm | IP Logged 
[it] Someone tipped me off to an excellent site for reading la Divina Commedia:
www.divina-commedia.it It has everything you
need:
- the text
- a paraphrasing (think of it as a parallel translation but in prose form)
- a summary
- a commentary

It's tough going, though, it takes me about 45min to read all of those for a single
chapter. And without the paraphrasing I would be utterly lost, because even if I did
understand the literal meaning (which is really hard for at least half the verses) the
allegorical meaning is waaay out there. I literally read the verse and the paraphrasing
in parallel verse by verse, sometimes line by line.

There are also quite a few false friends in the text that I would misinterpret without
the paraphrasing.

All in all it's hard, long and quite boring. Not least because I know nothing of the
historical context or care one whit about the theological doctrine it's based on. Who
is Virgilio? Don't know and don't care, I'm treating this as a purely linguistic
exercise. It doesn't help that I don't like poetry.

I really doubt that I'll have the patience to read all 100 chapters at this rate. But
another part of me says that I should try, because Italian has become so easy to read
now that I need a challenge.

In a way I could use something as hard as this, but on a subject that I care about.

Anyway, part of me is thinking that since I'm not going to get more than a superficial
understanding of this text now, I can come back to it later, like in a year, and to a
second pass.

Edited by numerodix on 30 August 2011 at 5:34pm

1 person has voted this message useful

numerodix
Trilingual Hexaglot
Netherlands
Joined 6579 days ago

856 posts - 1226 votes 

Message 10 of 52
01 September 2011 at 4:54pm | IP Logged 
Odd thought, but I've been thinking in the past few days that I kinda would like to
study a language that I don't have anything invested in. I can't really explain why,
but somehow the idea of just studying for the sake of studying seems to appeal to me.
As a kind of pure experiment I suppose.

I think it's because of the fact that even though I have so much more to do in my
languages it all seems a bit too easy already. It's been a while since I really hit the
wall for real. The first Dutch book was really hard, it was a proper struggle.
But it was also kind of exciting to have so much work to do to decipher a sentence, it
was satisfying.

And I suppose that I have discovered something that many people around here already
did. When I first started this thing two years ago I had no doubt in my mind that the
most hateful part of language study is the beginning, where you have to understand the
most basic parts, how to conjugate ĂȘtre and stuff like that. Probably because in junior
high and high school I spent basically all my French at that level without getting any
further. But somehow it seems that people who study languages and take to it really
enjoy starting on new ones. And if you're just playing around and you don't care about
the language then you can walk out any time you want, no inner pressure to succeed,
that seems very liberating. So I think I might start to become infected with this
impulse myself.

I don't know what the language is going to be, it doesn't seem to matter very much.
Just something different from the current ones. Japanese might be a cool choice. The
only thing that bugs me is the characters, cause that is such a mission impossible
project and I want something smaller. I'm relatively sure that I want to start from a
French Assimil base. All these courses that teach from English are great, but it's not
very exciting. I'm going to be in Brussels in a few weeks on an unrelated mission, and
I might just take the opportunity to browse around some bookstores.

I don't really know when I ought to do something like this, maybe I should even make
sure it's completely unprepared, unsystematic etc, so that it doesn't feel like
anything I'm doing now.

numerodix
Trilingual Hexaglot
Netherlands
Joined 6579 days ago

856 posts - 1226 votes 

Message 11 of 52
03 September 2011 at 12:47pm | IP Logged 
[ru] A mini-experiment with Russian. Russian has always bugged me because I can't read it and if I could maybe I could understand enough to make sense of it? Don't know. So I learned the alphabet in an hour or two with this course, very handy. I then went through the mini course to the language. It didn't take long at all and now I have very basic literacy.

It feels like a perverse kind of thing to stare at a piece of text and force myself to use the Russian alphabet to read it rather than read the latin letters the way I've done it all my life.

I can now go on pravda.ru and with effort read some of the titles, headlines even. It's a lot of effort though. I wonder how long I have to practice this before I can read it fluently.

On the listening end I was told about the NHK website with news broadcast in a bunch of languages. It's really cool. I've listened to the Russian and the Spanish, but maybe I should always do Spanish first, which is like reading the transcript basically, and then try to recognize as much as I can in Russian. I'm not quite sure what to expect, because although Russian is a very close language linguistically I've never had any interest in it or exposure to it. I have the sense of being on the threshold of just that amount of intelligibility that makes it worthwhile to try. I don't feel like trying hard though, it's just a distraction from my other stuff.
2 persons have voted this message useful

numerodix
Trilingual Hexaglot
Netherlands
Joined 6579 days ago

856 posts - 1226 votes 

Message 12 of 52
06 September 2011 at 8:57am | IP Logged 
[ru] Russian pronunciation is bizarre and I'm having a great time butchering it with my
Polish accent. It's so funny how everything I think I know by instinct about the
pronunciation is wrong. I can just imagine how much pain a Russian must have teaching
Russian to Poles.

Haukilahti
Triglot
Groupie
Finland
Joined 4760 days ago

94 posts - 126 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, Polish

Message 13 of 52
06 September 2011 at 10:49am | IP Logged 
numerodix wrote:
It's tough going, though, it takes me about 45min to read all of those for a single chapter. And without the paraphrasing I would be utterly lost, because even if I did understand the literal meaning (which is really hard for at least half the verses) the allegorical meaning is waaay out there. I literally read the verse and the paraphrasing in parallel verse by verse, sometimes line by line.

Only 45 minutes? It takes even more Italian students - though most don't even read the original text, they hope they can cope with the paraphrasing...

Quote:
All in all it's hard, long and quite boring. Not least because I know nothing of the historical context or care one whit about the theological doctrine it's based on. Who is Virgilio? Don't know and don't care, I'm treating this as a purely linguistic exercise. It doesn't help that I don't like poetry.

There are other difficult texts in the Italian literature. Dante's work is fundamental for the history of the language, but it is full of references, both to the classical world and especially to his contemporary Tuscany. If you have no passion for Florence and for medieval Italy, I'd skip - or concentrate on a few timeless cantos, which are able to move and fascinate the modern reader even without knowledge of Dante's world. I guess you know who is Virgil by now. By the way, out of the five years of secondary school in Italy, four are devoted to Virgil & Dante: 1st to Aeneid, 3rd to 5th to the Commedia, one cantica each year. The exception is 2nd class: Manzoni's Promessi Sposi.

Quote:
I really doubt that I'll have the patience to read all 100 chapters at this rate. But another part of me says that I should try, because Italian has become so easy to read now that I need a challenge.

Bad news for you: it is generally recognized that the Inferno is the most interesting part - Purgatorio and Paradiso are duller, and very few people have the patience to read them all.

numerodix
Trilingual Hexaglot
Netherlands
Joined 6579 days ago

856 posts - 1226 votes 

Message 14 of 52
06 September 2011 at 11:21am | IP Logged 
Thanks a lot for your insight!

You say other difficult works, anything in particular you would suggest? (I've read
Manzoni, was quite easy.)

Haukilahti
Triglot
Groupie
Finland
Joined 4760 days ago

94 posts - 126 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, Polish

Message 15 of 52
06 September 2011 at 1:11pm | IP Logged 
It depends on your interests really. Have you tried Guicciardini & Machiavelli? ;-)

numerodix
Trilingual Hexaglot
Netherlands
Joined 6579 days ago

856 posts - 1226 votes 

Message 16 of 52
06 September 2011 at 1:48pm | IP Logged 
Haukilahti wrote:
It depends on your interests really. Have you tried Guicciardini &
Machiavelli? ;-)

Well you see the problem is that my ignorance is breathtaking and it's not so much about
having tried as it is even knowing about them. A few months ago I read "Il principe" and
it was a really good learning experience. Hard at first, but it's definitely readable.
Later on I read about 60 pages of "Discorsi sopra la prima Deca di Tito Livio" and while
the language wasn't giving me any problems (anymore) I just found the long political
treatise quite boring.

Guicciardini I've never heard of before, he seems to be another political writer of the
same period.

This discussion contains 52 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version