Australia
Joined 5362 days ago

766 posts - 1020 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, Polish

Message 41 of 52
02 April 2012 at 5:23am | IP Logged 
numerodix wrote:

- Porque? El portugués no es una idioma muy complicada.

If you spot errors, please say. :)

Hola numerodix, hoe gaat alles in Nederland?

Vale, idioma es masculino, así que El portugués no es un idioma muy complicado

Veel sucess met het verhaal van vier talen! Misschien zullen wij het Pools en het Nederlands in het volgende zien?
1 person has voted this message useful

numerodix
Trilingual Hexaglot
Netherlands
Joined 6579 days ago

856 posts - 1226 votes 
Speaks: EnglishC2*, Norwegian*, Polish*, Italian, Dutch, French
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin

Message 42 of 52
07 April 2012 at 10:46am | IP Logged 
Tja, het gaat. Ik doe weinig daaraan sinds een paar maanden geleden. Ik zou moeten wat
boeken vinden opnieuw, denk ik.

Het Pools gebruik ik ook heel weinig, maar dat is zo geweest jarenlang. Alles goed met
jouw talen?

---

I'm starting to take a liking to Portuguese. I guess Spanish sorta wizzed by too quickly
to really enjoy it, found out I could follow it very well but that's no doubt because
I've had exposure to Spanish on occasion over the years. Not so with Portuguese, which
is why it feels much more foreign. But also intriguing. Unfortunately, the audiobooks on
librivox don't appeal to me much, so I don't have any solid source of speech right now.
Among the various languages I've just tried a little, Portuguese might be one I want to
get into deeper, though.

In other news I'm dabbling in Catalan and reading a book now on philosophy. Which is
surprisingly doable, but the subject is a little too technical to read without a certain
amount of struggle in a language so new.

numerodix
Trilingual Hexaglot
Netherlands
Joined 6579 days ago

856 posts - 1226 votes 

Message 43 of 52
14 April 2012 at 12:06pm | IP Logged 
One or two people on the forum gave pointers to Brazilian podcasts. There are two that are really excellent in my view, which I've listened to plenty the past week:

http://www.podcastcafebrasil.com.br/
http://www.escribacafe.com/ (even better)

I bought another Coelho book on paper which I'm going to read in short order. But I struggle with reading, not really with the meaning, but with the fact that I don't have enough spoken Portuguese in my head to be able to read it properly. I'm hoping that my podcast diet will cure this eventually so I'll be able to look at the words and know what they sound like, not just what they mean.

Meanwhile, it seems that Brazilian Portuguese is somewhat easier to understand. On the web I find way more resources for it and the pronunciation is less distant from Spanish in my impression. I also like the idea of using some Polish phonemes in other languages which I rarely get a chance to do, like llegar = dźegar. In Brazilian Portuguese it's most distinct with T and D: cidade = sidadźe, importante = impurtanće.

It's not purely a question of taste either, because if you go with dźegar then you easily match that to chegar (szegar) in Portuguese, so it's instructive as well.

------

My Catalan reading stalled after too many times of trying to read on the train when I was too groggy or tired to do it. I need to remind myself that philosophy, which is one of my favorite topics to read about recently, takes a certain amount of focus and time, so it becomes diluted with a lot of starting and stopping. I'll resume the book in the near future, but Portuguese is way more interesting to me than Catalan.

------

Read "Hoe komen we van religie af?" by Floris van den Berg after seeing an appearance of his on tv. He's a philosopher and his writing is decent. But the language keeps sending my brain to sleep unfortunately.

Edited by numerodix on 14 April 2012 at 12:08pm

numerodix
Trilingual Hexaglot
Netherlands
Joined 6579 days ago

856 posts - 1226 votes 

Message 44 of 52
30 June 2012 at 8:59am | IP Logged 
Playing around a little with German lately. I strikes me that German is a lot like Latin
in that people will say "hey if you learn German it makes it easier to learn all the
other Germanic languages". Yes, but it's much easier to do it without German. :)

numerodix
Trilingual Hexaglot
Netherlands
Joined 6579 days ago

856 posts - 1226 votes 

Message 45 of 52
08 July 2012 at 7:16pm | IP Logged 
Well, that's it, I've ordered my first German book. I'm at an early stage in the
language, it's going to be at the level of "oh that must be the conditional then, okay"
elementary reading. But I've done it already several times with other languages so I
expect I'll be able to handle it.

I have to say that after covering English, Dutch and Scandinavia I was expecting German
to come easier than it does.

In other news I feel like I've had a real breakthrough this weekend ever since I found
some comedy on youtube in French. Many hours later it "feels" different, like I'm more
hooked in, enjoying it more too.

I'm starting to feel quite good in the language though I still need to shore up my
grammar.

numerodix
Trilingual Hexaglot
Netherlands
Joined 6579 days ago

856 posts - 1226 votes 

Message 46 of 52
14 July 2012 at 2:40pm | IP Logged 
My German spy novel is rough, but it's doable. 12 pages out of 600, so it's going to keep
me busy for quite some time.

Been doing a lot of French stuff lately, a lot of youtube comedy clips and also a little
writing. It's nice to see how many people on the forum are currently on French.

Rykketid
Diglot
Groupie
Italy
Joined 4629 days ago

88 posts - 146 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English
Studies: French

Message 47 of 52
14 July 2012 at 3:25pm | IP Logged 
I'm giving you a very forthright advice: don't read Dante. It's Italian of the XIV
century, it is very difficult for us Italian speakers too... Some English speakers told
me that they find it hard to read the English translation too.

La Divina Commedia is one of the most beautiful pieces of literature in the history of
Mankind but, honestly, it's completely useless for people who are learning Italian, in my
opinion it would just mess up your knowledge.

numerodix
Trilingual Hexaglot
Netherlands
Joined 6579 days ago

856 posts - 1226 votes 

Message 48 of 52
14 July 2012 at 3:38pm | IP Logged 
Rykketid wrote:
I'm giving you a very forthright advice: don't read Dante. It's
Italian of the XIV
century, it is very difficult for us Italian speakers too... Some English speakers told
me that they find it hard to read the English translation too.

La Divina Commedia is one of the most beautiful pieces of literature in the history of
Mankind but, honestly, it's completely useless for people who are learning Italian, in
my
opinion it would just mess up your knowledge.

Well, it's too late because I already did 6 months ago.

However, I agree that it's by and large useless for the purpose of learning modern
Italian.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 52 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version