16 messages over 2 pages: 1 2  Next >>
liddytime
Pentaglot
United States
mainlymagyar.wordpre
Joined 6040 days ago

693 posts - 1328 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Galician
Studies: Hungarian, Vietnamese, Modern Hebrew, Norwegian, Persian, Arabic (Written)

Message 1 of 16
11 August 2011 at 6:06am | IP Logged 
I know people have alluded to this in several other forums but no definite answer has been reached as far as I
could tell.

So I did it.

I counted all the words given in Pimsleur's Mandarin, Lessons 1-90. I figured Mandarin is a relatively uninflected
language so one would not have to count conjugations and cases and such.   So, how many were there?

468!   468 in the whole course!

I imagine other languages might be a bit different but my experience is that a Pimsleur course is a Pimsleur
course and the lessons are are essentially the same. So this should roughly be the word counts for the other
languages as well.

Edited by liddytime on 11 August 2011 at 6:14am

6 persons have voted this message useful

motchmaster
United States
Joined 4704 days ago

3 posts - 4 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Latin, Hungarian

Message 2 of 16
11 August 2011 at 6:27am | IP Logged 
$700... to learn 468 words?

Edited by motchmaster on 11 August 2011 at 6:30am

1 person has voted this message useful

oldearth
Groupie
United States
Joined 4706 days ago

72 posts - 173 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Esperanto

Message 3 of 16
11 August 2011 at 7:02am | IP Logged 
That's still 468 words more than most people will learn during their commute. But, obviously, one should check
it out from the library if they can.

Edited by oldearth on 11 August 2011 at 7:02am

patuco
Diglot
Gibraltar
Joined 6826 days ago

3795 posts - 4268 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, English*
Personal Language Map

Message 4 of 16
11 August 2011 at 11:12am | IP Logged 
motchmaster wrote:

That's roughly $1.50 per word, although, if you know where to look, it can drop to $0.

LatinoBoy84
Bilingual Triglot
United States
Joined 5386 days ago

443 posts - 603 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish*, French
Studies: Russian, Portuguese, Latvian

Message 5 of 16
11 August 2011 at 11:50am | IP Logged 
Borrow from the library if possible...if not rent the program online. I would still argue
the course has its benefits, but one should try to avoid the "real" cost of the course.
Thank you for your research, this is helpful for people learning or spending time with
the course.

Edited by LatinoBoy84 on 11 August 2011 at 11:51am

2 persons have voted this message useful

jdmoncada
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4845 days ago

470 posts - 741 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Finnish
Studies: Russian, Japanese

Message 6 of 16
11 August 2011 at 5:27pm | IP Logged 
I have been learning Japanese with Pimsleur. Thankfully, I have bought my program through Audible and with some membership sales/discounts. So mine has cost me maybe $200 for the whole set (3 phases).

I'm an advocate of libraries being that I am a librarian by profession, but if you do want to own it legally, Audible is the cheapest option I have found.

Now to the point of the number of words in the lessons... I am curious to do the same with Japanese. I had thought of transcribing everything to find out just what I have learned during these lessons anyway. I may do that after I finish the full set. It would be interesting to compare if it is the same with a different language. I suspect it would be, but I can not know that for sure until later.

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5192 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 7 of 16
11 August 2011 at 5:43pm | IP Logged 
motchmaster wrote:

Oversimplifying much?

It's a well designed course aimed at teaching a person, through audio only, how to USE 468 words. It's obviously a lot more than just a list of words.
2 persons have voted this message useful

liddytime
Pentaglot
United States
mainlymagyar.wordpre
Joined 6040 days ago

693 posts - 1328 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Galician
Studies: Hungarian, Vietnamese, Modern Hebrew, Norwegian, Persian, Arabic (Written)

Message 8 of 16
11 August 2011 at 10:59pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
motchmaster wrote:

Oversimplifying much?
It's a well designed course aimed at teaching a person, through audio only, how to USE 468 words. It's obviously a lot more than just a list of words.

True! & I didn't put this up to bad-mouth Pimsleur in any way. In fact, I use Pimsleur myself when I am starting out with languages. I saw from several other threads that people "guess-timated" how many words were in a full, 3 level Pimsleur course and nobody had a definite word-count so I just wanted to put this out there.

I will say that I am quite surprised that the number is so low! I would have suspected it to be more up in the 750 range. That is my one criticism of the Pimsleur method. It would be great if they sacrificed some of the repetition in exchange for learning more new vocabulary words. Perhaps get the words closer to 1000 for the whole course.

This discussion contains 16 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version