United States
youtube.com/user/Vic
Joined 5226 days ago

574 posts - 1707 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin, Japanese, Korean

Message 9 of 16
12 August 2011 at 4:14am | IP Logged 
It doesn't really make any sense to measure Pimsleur's value by the number of words it introduces. There is a benefit and a cost to everything, and if more words were introduced, the cost would inevitably be either more lessons or reduced repetition of the current vocabulary.

The purpose of Pimsleur is to get you comfortable enough with basic conversation to be able to immerse yourself in the environment where the language is actually spoken and use your basic skills to engage with native speakers and through this manner attain the level of fluency you desire.
4 persons have voted this message useful

liddytime
Pentaglot
United States
mainlymagyar.wordpre
Joined 6040 days ago

693 posts - 1328 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Galician
Studies: Hungarian, Vietnamese, Modern Hebrew, Norwegian, Persian, Arabic (Written)

Message 10 of 16
13 August 2011 at 1:56am | IP Logged 
jdmoncada wrote:

Now to the point of the number of words in the lessons... I am curious to do the same with Japanese. I had thought
of transcribing everything to find out just what I have learned during these lessons anyway. I may do that after I
finish the full set. It would be interesting to compare if it is the same with a different language. I suspect it would
be, but I can not know that for sure until later.

That would be interesting with Japanese...   I wonder if the honorifics and particles of Japanese would influence it at
all?

Do it if you are able! That would be great!
2 persons have voted this message useful

jdmoncada
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4845 days ago

470 posts - 741 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Finnish
Studies: Russian, Japanese

Message 11 of 16
13 August 2011 at 5:37pm | IP Logged 
I did lesson 13 (of phase one) this morning, and I tried to write down all the concepts I had encountered in the lessons so far. I got around 120 so words up to this point, which is rather surprising to me. I feel that I can say a lot of things in Japanese despite this small vocabulary. If an average of 10 new words/ideas per lesson stays true for the rest of the lessons, then there is the potential for 900 words/ideas at the end of phase 3 (all 90 lessons).
1 person has voted this message useful

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5073 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 12 of 16
13 August 2011 at 10:43pm | IP Logged 
Is the best metric "how many words did you learn"? Or, is the best metric "did you learn to put sentences together, answer questions, pose questions, develop a good 'language ear', develop good pronunciation, learn how to converse at a basic level to take care of basic needs?

Did what you learn through Pimsleur help you to build on that knowledge and progress further than you would have with never having done the course? I agree that the vocabulary is quite limited but do you know and can you use that limited vocabulary better than a larger vocabulary presented over the same amount of time?

I am curious.

jdmoncada
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4845 days ago

470 posts - 741 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Finnish
Studies: Russian, Japanese

Message 13 of 16
14 August 2011 at 6:55am | IP Logged 
Again, being only 13 lessons into the course, I would say it falls into the 2nd option. For me personally, it isn't about the words so much as the comfort with the ideas in general and the knowledge of how the sentence would with with different/expanded vocabulary.

This evening I listened to the 1.1 lesson in Russian, and it's the exact same lesson as the first one in Japanese. Perhaps all of their first lessons start the same way. From comments I have read around the Internet, it seems that the content thereafter does change from language to language. If it does not do that, though, perhaps I am in for the limited vocabulary described in the first post.

Still, as we all know, the thing with Pimsleur is structure and getting a student to actually speak. It's one thing I like about it above all over Japanese content I have. Sure I have a podcast series or two, but working through a Pimsleur lesson helps me practice it until I own it.

MrFrenchFox
United States
Joined 4666 days ago

18 posts - 37 votes

Message 14 of 16
19 August 2011 at 5:05pm | IP Logged 
I am only at lesson 7 in Pimsleur. I don't think I would like less repetition. It was
very easy for me to start, and then lesson 5 started getting faster. The repetition helps
me pick out little things I didn't notice the first time around.
This is my first language study, and I think that plays a big role in usage. I am not
used to speaking these sounds out loud and once you learn the sounds that are common in
the language, then learning vocabulary should be easier.

zsieri
Triglot
Spain
Joined 4659 days ago

16 posts - 18 votes
Speaks: Catalan, Spanish*, English
Studies: Italian, German

Message 15 of 16
22 August 2011 at 1:01pm | IP Logged 
Just finished lesson 28 of Pimsleur I of German, and I can say that it's definitely helping me with the tricky German word order: Some patterns seems to be stuck in my mind already, I think it's more important than the number of learned words, just my humble opinion.

leosmith
United States
Joined 6361 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Studies: Tagalog

Message 16 of 16
22 August 2011 at 11:01pm | IP Logged 
jdmoncada wrote:
Now to the point of the number of words in the lessons... I am curious to do the same with
Japanese.

It's about 500 total for all languages.

This discussion contains 16 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version