Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 4616 days ago

120 posts - 134 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English
Studies: German, French

Message 9 of 16
03 October 2011 at 10:17am | IP Logged 
It's a different language as said before.
It also hase more cases, and a more extensive Gender rule. (Masculine is devided into some sub categories).
As a Dutch native speaker, I can generally understand some German when spoken and written, but I've been to the Czech republic this summer and the language is completely foreign to me. I understood maybe two words in one page full of text.
Most words you understand are probably loanwords.
1 person has voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4820 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 10 of 16
03 October 2011 at 2:56pm | IP Logged 
1. As someone already said, the words from German are usually very informal.

2. Due to the very different nature of the two languages, most words from German have changed a lot, so it is harder to recognize them than for exemple French based words in English.

Zaphkiel
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 6017 days ago

6 posts - 8 votes
Speaks: Czech*, EnglishC1, Japanese
Studies: Mandarin, Polish

Message 11 of 16
20 October 2011 at 12:40am | IP Logged 
As many people have already said they are different languages from different language
groups, but I actually there is a lot of common framework behind German and Czech. Many
expressions and idioms are directly translatable as it wouldn't be possible let's say
between English and Czech. This is of course the result of centuries long contact in all
spheres of life.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4820 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 12 of 16
20 October 2011 at 12:14pm | IP Logged 
I have found a lot of the "czech" idioms and expressions in Spanish and French as well, I'd say most of them is part of the same "european cultural heritage". I wouldn't overestimate the similarities.
2 persons have voted this message useful

William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6083 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, French

Message 13 of 16
20 October 2011 at 1:37pm | IP Logged 
I believe spoken Czech has a fair number of German loanwords, more than literary Czech does, and Czech at one time came close to extinction at the hands of German. It was saved by the development of a Czech intelligentsia in the 19th century. There are some cultural similarities and Franz Kafka was hardly unique in his time and place in being fluent in both languages (though he only wrote in German). Other than the cultural contact, I wouldn't say there was much similarity.

Edited by William Camden on 20 October 2011 at 1:37pm

buchstabe
Tetraglot
Germany
Joined 4513 days ago

52 posts - 108 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, French, Spanish
Studies: Czech, Swedish, Japanese

Message 14 of 16
07 March 2012 at 11:47pm | IP Logged 
Maybe the perception comes from that the similiarities stick out like a sore thumb. :)
When learning English as a German native, you come across cognates all the time, it's
nothing special, whereas when you start learning Czech, it all sounds completely like
"böhmische Dörfer".
When you then stumble upon the odd unexpected slangy cognate here and there, or idioms
that are 1:1 matches, it really strikes you.
I could hardly believe my eyes/ears when I ran into hajsl, kudlmudl and fotr (all not in
the Wiki, maybe a native could confirm?).

Edited by buchstabe on 07 March 2012 at 11:48pm

Majka
Triglot
Czech Republic
kofoholici.wordpress
Joined 4468 days ago

307 posts - 755 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, German, English
Studies: French
Studies: Russian

Message 15 of 16
08 March 2012 at 1:04am | IP Logged 
buchstabe wrote:

I could hardly believe my eyes/ears when I ran into hajsl, kudlmudl and fotr (all not in
the Wiki, maybe a native could confirm?).

You can look up some of these words in czech wiki
Some are used in general slang (known in whole Czech republic) - hajzl, fotr, perhaps šnuptychl or papundekl.
Some are local - karfiol, erteple, šnitlik. I haven't noticed the local use before a college from northern Moravia asked what it is. For me (south Bohemia), these aren't unusual.

As an explanation - one cannot find many similarities to German. The reason is that the Czech language was cleaned from "Germanisms" through conscious effort in the period of "National Renaissance" in 18. and 19. century.
Many of the words from German were eliminated from literary language (and in effect from spoken language completely) and only a few words remained in slang.

Edited by Majka on 08 March 2012 at 1:06am

3 persons have voted this message useful

nonneb
Pentaglot
Groupie
SpainRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4562 days ago

80 posts - 173 votes 
Speaks: English*, Ancient Greek, Latin, German, Spanish
Studies: Mandarin, Hungarian, French

Message 16 of 16
10 March 2012 at 11:42am | IP Logged 
As to the question about a book, Chcete Mluvit Česky is excellent.

I feel like the similarity between German and Czech, aside from some loanwords, is primarily in the culture. The languages seem to categorize things similarly, but my Czech is still at a very low level, so it could be imagining things.

This discussion contains 16 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version