Diglot
Germany
Joined 5132 days ago

1256 posts - 2363 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 97 of 101
24 October 2011 at 10:45pm | IP Logged 
mortimerjohn wrote:
Since I am finding out that there is a paucity of German parallel texts, I'm considering scrapping my German project for one or two years and focusing on Russian instead

There is only a paucity of free German parallel texts. There's an abundance of commercial English/German parallel texts.

If you're a DIY kind of guy, you could get the free Alice im Wunderland audiobook from audible.de (no credit card required) and the German and English texts from Project Gutenberg and create your own parallel text.

Edited by Doitsujin on 24 October 2011 at 10:47pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

DavidW
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6338 days ago

318 posts - 458 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French, Italian, Persian, Malay
Studies: Russian, Arabic (Written), Portuguese, German, Urdu

Message 98 of 101
25 October 2011 at 12:21pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the offer to help with hosting, but it's not a problem at the moment.

When I started the site, I was thinking that it might go either of two ways: either
many people contributing many small changes to the texts (online editing would have
made this easier), or else a small group of more dedicated people. Seeing as the latter
seems to be the case, I think it makes more sense to work more like a traditional
publisher, working with a small group of people who edit the texts, and compensating
them for their time with royalties from book sales.

Having said that, I'm still happy to align texts and produce the output PDFs for edited
texts like before. If you'd like to help out, you could research titles (see
http://www.omilia.org/projects/public/boards ) You can also edit any text that
interests you in the files section ( http://www.omilia.org/projects/public/files ). I
realise a status page for each text would be useful.

For German, I could make a bilingual version of Alice in Wonderland, or Franz Kafka
works. People have said on this forum that Kafka has quite a litterary style though.
1 person has voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4640 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 99 of 101
08 July 2012 at 1:12am | IP Logged 
If anyone is interested, there is an English translation of Thomas Mann's "Der Tod in
Venedig" ("Death in Venice"), here:

venice">http://www.feedbooks.com/userbook/20281/death-in-ven ice

It is in PDF, EBUB, and MOBI format.

I cannot vouch for the quality or accuracy of the translation (to be honest, some of
the English looks a little odd to me .... Google assisted?), but I have not compared it
line by line with the other translation I have available (not in computer-readable,
unfortunately), by H.T.Lowe Porter (1928) (which itself is said to have errors, not
that I have found any).

Anyway, the translation above is said to be based on the original in Project Gutenberg,
so the material is out there, potentially available for anyone to make a parallel
version, if they should so wish.

Edited by montmorency on 08 July 2012 at 1:18am

kaptengröt
Tetraglot
Groupie
Sweden
Joined 4150 days ago

92 posts - 163 votes 
Speaks: English*, Swedish, Faroese, Icelandic
Studies: Japanese

Message 100 of 101
10 January 2013 at 7:06am | IP Logged 
(If anyone saw that last post, ignore it, it was intended for a different thread.)

I was wondering if anyone has Nabokov parallel texts for Japanese and English? Dazai books or "Kokoro" that have a hiragana-katakana-only middle column would be great too, but that is just hopeful thinking. Er, and hopefully audio that matches them...

Registrador
Tetraglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4838 days ago

16 posts - 21 votes
Speaks: Spanish*, French, English, Italian
Studies: German, Czech

Message 101 of 101
30 June 2013 at 9:37pm | IP Logged 
I was looking for a simple way to make bilingual texts, phrase by phrase. So this evening I wrote a very
simple code for doing that online MinBiL:

http://naucit.com/site/minbil.php

Enjoy

Edited by Registrador on 30 June 2013 at 9:37pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 101 messages over 13 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version