Groupie
BrazilRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4667 days ago

70 posts - 113 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishC1, Spanish
Studies: Mandarin

Message 9 of 22
02 December 2011 at 5:13am | IP Logged 
Take the slowest, i have a cuban maestro and he speaks like a submachine gun.

Edited by Carlucio on 02 December 2011 at 5:38am

1 person has voted this message useful

outcast
Bilingual Heptaglot
China
Joined 4758 days ago

869 posts - 1364 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English*, German, Italian, French, Portuguese, Mandarin
Studies: Korean

Message 10 of 22
02 December 2011 at 8:04am | IP Logged 
The clearest accent in general would be a standard Colombian (not too heavy in the accent), or central Mexican.

There is really no ''chic'' accent in particular, that is something that varies within each country. As a very general stereotype, highland accents are slower and more conservative, lowland accents faster in speech and more innovative. Accents like Cuban, Chilean and Venezuelan are considered very regionalized because they are heavy (the same could be said of Argentine, but there are more regional variations here). Finally, I've been repeatedly told that the Argentine accent (rioplatense variety), has a ''sexyness'' factor, but again it's a general stereotype.

3 persons have voted this message useful

tractor
Tetraglot
Norway
Joined 5262 days ago

1349 posts - 2292 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, Catalan
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 11 of 22
02 December 2011 at 6:22pm | IP Logged 
outcast wrote:
The clearest accent in general would be a standard Colombian (not too heavy in the accent), or
central Mexican.

Peruvian is also very clear, and the Spanish of northern Spain (especially Salamanca, Palencia, Valladolid, Burgos).

I agree with Cainntear: Any "educated" accent is likely to be as comprehensible as any other.

Políglota
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4507 days ago

2 posts - 5 votes
Speaks: Spanish*, English, Italian, Russian
Studies: Turkish, Georgian, Persian

Message 12 of 22
15 January 2012 at 5:08am | IP Logged 
outcast wrote:
The clearest accent in general would be a standard Colombian (not too heavy in the accent), or central Mexican.

I once read an interview with Gabriel García Márquez in which he said the "best" spoken Latin American Spanish is to be found in Bogotá, Colombia and in Guanajuato, México.

Be aware that San Miguel de Allende, although in Guanajuato, is an expat community.

s0fist
Diglot
United States
Joined 4855 days ago

260 posts - 445 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: Sign Language, German, Spanish, French

Message 13 of 22
15 January 2012 at 6:57am | IP Logged 
outcast wrote:

Is there a particular language course that teaches or uses exclusively either of these two?
If not, can you point to some movies or bands, or maybe a particular radio or TV channel that's available on the net, that use one of those two consistently and/or exclusively and that could be used to pick it up?

James29
Diglot
United States
Joined 5184 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 14 of 22
17 January 2012 at 1:59am | IP Logged 
S0fist, if you want to pick up the accent with material that is exclusively in that accent, you could find an interesting audio book read by a voice actor from the country you are interested in... then listen/shadow the audio book. Usually it is not too hard to learn where a voice actor is from by googling their name.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Mad Max
Tetraglot
Groupie
Spain
Joined 4860 days ago

79 posts - 146 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, French, English, Russian
Studies: Arabic (classical)

Message 15 of 22
17 January 2012 at 10:48am | IP Logged 
OK, you can study the Standard Colombian accent, and it is true that it is amazing the
way they speak. IMHO, they speak better than the majority of Spaniards.

On the other hand, almost all materials are in Standard Mexican Spanish (spoken in
Mexico and studied in the USA) and Standard European Spanish (spoken in Spain and
studied in European Union).

When I say "standard", I say the language of the media in these countries. So, I would
study the Mexican or the European one because they are more spoken, more studied and
there are more materials whith them.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Superking
Diglot
Groupie
United States
polyglutwastaken.blo
Joined 6452 days ago

87 posts - 194 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Mandarin

Message 16 of 22
17 January 2012 at 11:01pm | IP Logged 
I agree with those who have said to learn the language first, then pick up the accent later. Yes, language texts may tend to steer you the wrong way on occasion regarding vocabulary, but that's easy to replace when you settle in to a certain dialect. The grammar itself is *relatively* universal, aside from some pronoun and verb-form differences.

This discussion contains 22 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version