Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4495 days ago

4 posts - 10 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese

Message 17 of 22
06 February 2012 at 1:03am | IP Logged 
I'd say adopt the accent that most of the people around you use. If you're going to be speaking to Mexicans all the time, using an Argentinian accent would be slightly peculiar. You shouldnt really "choose" your accent, but fall naturally into it.
6 persons have voted this message useful

Superking
Diglot
Groupie
United States
polyglutwastaken.blo
Joined 6453 days ago

87 posts - 194 votes 
Studies: Mandarin

Message 18 of 22
06 February 2012 at 5:45am | IP Logged 
sneakbobcat wrote:
I'd say adopt the accent that most of the people around you use. If you're going to be speaking to Mexicans all the time, using an Argentinian accent would be slightly peculiar. You shouldnt really "choose" your accent, but fall naturally into it.

This is the only correct answer. I spent so long trying to pick an accent I liked when I was learning Spanish as a teenager, and now that I'm engaged to a Colombian woman, guess how I talk?
2 persons have voted this message useful

Quique
Diglot
Spain
cronopios.net/Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4492 days ago

183 posts - 313 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English
Studies: French, German

Message 19 of 22
07 February 2012 at 10:12am | IP Logged 
I'd say that, in Spanish, accent is just that, an accent, and therefore not very important. People from Spain can understand people from Latin America without any problem, and viceversa (apart from the occasional word that it's only used locally).

If you're interested in a Spanish accent, I'd suggest listening to Radio Nacional de España online. It's an educated accent, not tied to any specific region (in Spain the accents vary widely). Other advantage of this accent is that it differenciates the `s' and `z' sounds, making writing somewhat easier.

Anyway, if your teachers and the people you talk with are Mexican, you'll naturally end up with a Mexican accent. I don't think you should worry too much about it.
1 person has voted this message useful

Superking
Diglot
Groupie
United States
polyglutwastaken.blo
Joined 6453 days ago

87 posts - 194 votes 
Studies: Mandarin

Message 20 of 22
07 February 2012 at 5:54pm | IP Logged 
The one decision you do need to make is between European (Spain) and Latin American Spanish early on. The difference between Mexican and Colombian Spanish, for example, is much smaller than the difference between European Spanish and Latin American. My native-born Colombian fiancee confesses to finding it hard to understand Spaniards. Not that everyone will -- but I know that as a non-native speaker, oftentimes I don't even try because it's just that different. Besides, it's not just the accent, the grammar is slightly (though not dramatically) different as well.

Either one is a perfectly valid and good choice, but you just need to think about what YOU want to be comfortable understanding. If you live in Europe, I say go for Spain. If you live in the United States, go for Latin American.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Medulin
Tetraglot
Croatia
Joined 4478 days ago

1199 posts - 2192 votes 
Speaks: Croatian*, English, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Norwegian, Hindi, Nepali

Message 21 of 22
15 February 2012 at 8:09pm | IP Logged 
You should chose the accent you like. I like Argentine Spanish and learn this variety.
I have relatives there, and Im planning on visiting them. Normally we talk only over the phone/Skype :(

I live in Europe, but I don't like the peninsular dialect.
I love Barcelona and Valencia though, so we'll be adding Catalan in the near future.
I just wouldn't speak Spanish there, the Spaniards are notorious for correcting other people's pronunciation (seseo) and words (''Nosotros no usamos la palabra lindo, sólo guapo!''). This can be annoying. British people don't normally correct foreigners speaking with a North American accent.

Edited by Medulin on 15 February 2012 at 8:13pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Javi
Spain
Joined 5791 days ago

419 posts - 548 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 22 of 22
15 February 2012 at 10:57pm | IP Logged 
Medulin wrote:
You should chose the accent you like. I like Argentine Spanish and
learn this variety.
I have relatives there, and Im planning on visiting them. Normally we talk only over
the phone/Skype :(

I live in Europe, but I don't like the peninsular dialect.
I love Barcelona and Valencia though, so we'll be adding Catalan in the near future.
I just wouldn't speak Spanish there, the Spaniards are notorious for correcting other
people's pronunciation (seseo) and words (''Nosotros no usamos la palabra lindo, sólo
guapo!''). This can be annoying. British people don't normally correct foreigners
speaking with a North American accent.

I think your getting the wrong end of the stick. For a start, Argentinians themselves
don't get corrections over here, and neither do Andalusians over seseo, so you can take
yours as a clear indication of how far you are from sounding native. Besides, although
it is true that many Spaniards are fond of correcting foreigners, this fact along with
the overall low level of English should be a godsend to language learners. So we use
our own dialect as a model, yeah, but what did you expect? Linguists in the local
tasca?

Edited by Javi on 15 February 2012 at 11:00pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 22 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version