United States
Joined 7017 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 49 of 59
17 April 2013 at 9:12pm | IP Logged 
James29 wrote:
OK, great. Luke, could you please provide a better English translation of that section you quoted?

I expect Assimil to do that.

But, while you were writing the above question, I, in the meantime, updated my post and asked you to do exactly that for the entire lesson 53. Should we really have to ask for a translation? I think not. It should be correct in the book already.

Here's the bulk of what I added in that update in the other post:

Assimil Using French is an example of a properly done advanced book. The English version of Using Spanish has several grammatically incorrect translations. I would never describe a book with lots of grave grammatic errors in translation as "the best" or "fantastic". I like Using Spanish, but it has got a lot of unnecessarily bad translations.

You would do us a service by providing us with your best English translation of lesson 53. There are other lessons I would ask for the same on, but I'm sure you would be too busy because it's likely to be a lot of work, or too embarassed, because your translations, if accurate and idiomatic, won't be much like what's in the book for that lesson.

I don't mean I agree with all the criticism in the thread, but a blanket statement that the book is fantastic is not true if fantastic includes criteria such as accurate and understandable translations.

There are tiny errors in most Assimil books, and they are easily forgivable. Things like the note points to the wrong paragraph or something like that. Using Spanish is in an entirely different category. Grave, grammatically incorrect errors in translation!

Edited by luke on 17 April 2013 at 9:16pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4978 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 50 of 59
17 April 2013 at 9:12pm | IP Logged 
I see your point luke. At this level of learning, though, I don't think a non-idiomatic translation would do that harm. I'm not saying this shouldn't be fixed though.
2 persons have voted this message useful

James29
Diglot
United States
Joined 5187 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 
Studies: French

Message 51 of 59
17 April 2013 at 9:28pm | IP Logged 
Look, this is a highly idiomatic paragraph. They did a translation with very extensive notes explaining the translation. The notes on this quoted section are longer than the entire translation. Is there anybody who could not read the English translation and notes and not completely understand what the highly idiomatic Spanish means? Bravo to Assimil for endeavoring to teach things that are so hard to translate.

Also, I cannot think of a self study course that teaches more advanced Spanish. FSI Basic is close, but very different (I believe FSI is superiior, but does not teach as "advanced" vocabulary and grammar). What self study course teaches more advanced Spanish?

3 persons have voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7017 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 52 of 59
17 April 2013 at 9:34pm | IP Logged 
James29 wrote:
What self study course teaches more advanced Spanish?

I'm hoping Perfecionnement Espagnol, (Using Spanish from a French base), will be that course. I'm hopeful I'll be able to understand the French translations better of the Spanish better than I can those that are in English.

Seriously, I bought Perfecionnement Espagnol in France in a bookstore and I hope to begin using it in the next few weeks.

Edited by luke on 17 April 2013 at 9:36pm

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7017 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 53 of 59
17 April 2013 at 10:05pm | IP Logged 
By the way, here is a translation of Using Spanish lesson 53 into idiomatic English I did once.

Edited by luke on 17 April 2013 at 10:08pm

James29
Diglot
United States
Joined 5187 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 
Studies: French

Message 54 of 59
17 April 2013 at 10:31pm | IP Logged 
Yes, I had read your translation. It sounds better in English, but would likely require even more notes than the Assimil translation in order to explain things.

I will definitely agree with you that if someone is fluent in both French and English that French is probably the better option for this book.

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4701 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 55 of 59
18 April 2013 at 12:28am | IP Logged 
I'm starting the same course next month, Luke - we'll have to compare notes! I peaked
ahead to Lesson 53 after reading this thread, and it looks confusing in French, too.

Andy E
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6915 days ago

1651 posts - 1939 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French

Message 56 of 59
11 September 2013 at 3:43pm | IP Logged 
James29 wrote:
I will definitely agree with you that if someone is fluent in both
French and English that French is probably the better option for this book.

Then, on that at least we can agree.

This discussion contains 59 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version