26 messages over 4 pages: 1 24  Next >>
prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4669 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Bulgarian, Croatian
Studies: Slovenian, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Swedish, German, Italian, Armenian, Kurdish

Message 17 of 26
05 November 2011 at 4:35pm | IP Logged 
Off-topic, but I really wonder how anyone can dislike any language and especially the fan of languages? For me all of them are cool! (well, some of them cooler, but simply because of some non-verbal experiences :)
1 person has voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6513 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 18 of 26
21 November 2011 at 11:20am | IP Logged 
On-topic again: there is enough native Catalan sources around to fill a lifetime - including books, magazine, homepages, radio and TV. But it is not a language which people flock to learn so the number of courses and textbooks is limited. The solution for a language learner is to learn it AFTER another Romance language so that you can use those to easy your way into the language. And the risk is of course that you might get stuck and never get beyond your 'crutch language'.
2 persons have voted this message useful

alang
Diglot
Canada
Joined 7031 days ago

563 posts - 757 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish

Message 19 of 26
26 January 2012 at 7:43pm | IP Logged 
tractor wrote:
Digui Digui Curs de català per a estrangers (textbook + handbook in English + audio; probably out of print)

There is actually more to the Digui Digui course. The things tractor mentioned plus a teacher's book and videos. These are what I am aware of for level one.
Then there is a level two. I presumed has the same type of items. I was tired looking for the complete sets of materials, so I decided not to buy any of them.

Although the Digui Digui course usually sold by a place like Audio Forum before was just two books and audio for level one. This is what I interpreted anyway. It was difficult to find more information, as the descriptions were not very detailed.

Alexander86
Tetraglot
United Kingdom
alanguagediary.blogs
Joined 4791 days ago

224 posts - 323 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German, Catalan
Studies: Swedish

Message 20 of 26
26 January 2012 at 9:29pm | IP Logged 
Anyone who comes to Barcelona could never say there was a lack of resources to learn
Catalan... There is such a huge range of course my problem is I don't know which one to
pick!

tractor
Tetraglot
Norway
Joined 5263 days ago

1349 posts - 2292 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, Catalan
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 21 of 26
27 January 2012 at 12:40am | IP Logged 
alang wrote:
tractor wrote:
Digui Digui Curs de català per a estrangers (textbook + handbook in English +
audio; probably out of print)

There is actually more to the Digui Digui course. The things tractor mentioned plus a teacher's book and videos.
These are what I am aware of for level one.
Then there is a level two. I presumed has the same type of items.

I don't think there's an English handbook for level 2, but I'm not sure.

tractor
Tetraglot
Norway
Joined 5263 days ago

1349 posts - 2292 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, Catalan
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 22 of 26
27 January 2012 at 12:42am | IP Logged 
Alexander86 wrote:
Anyone who comes to Barcelona could never say there was a lack of resources to learn
Catalan... There is such a huge range of course my problem is I don't know which one to
pick!

Yes, but aren't most of them made for classroom teaching, not self-study?

Wilhelm Schulz
United States
schulzlanguages.com
Joined 4500 days ago

13 posts - 13 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 23 of 26
27 January 2012 at 3:40am | IP Logged 
Spanishdream wrote:
Hi there, I'd like people to share their Catalan resources if it's not too much trouble.
I'm really struggling to find resources to learn from. I have been on www.parla.cat but
I'm not a big fan really.

My favourite method of learning has been with Michel Thomas, does anyone have a course
similar to his method of learning with Catalan?

Thanks.

Hi there! I too love Michel Thomas's method! Unfortunately, he only offers a Spanish course, not a Catalan course. I
have never actually major companies/people like Michel Thomas selling Catalan resources. I'm sure there must be
a place to get something, but the market seems to be much smaller than that for the more popular European
languages.

Perhaps you could look for a private tutor (either in person or online), who would be willing to teach you?
Obviously, a native would be ideal. That is what I always recommend when I instruct online courses - that the
students find a tutor to continue their lessons after the course ends.

I also just checked Rosetta Stone. They don't offer Catalan.

Sorry that I cannot be of more help to you!
-Wilhelm Schulz
SchulzLanguages.com

Wilhelm Schulz
United States
schulzlanguages.com
Joined 4500 days ago

13 posts - 13 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 24 of 26
27 January 2012 at 3:41am | IP Logged 
prz_ wrote:
Off-topic, but I really wonder how anyone can dislike any language and especially the fan of
languages? For me all of them are cool! (well, some of them cooler, but simply because of some non-verbal
experiences :)

I really have to agree with you! If I were offered a free language learning course, I would try it for any language.
They're all amazing! Unfortunately, monetary and temporal restrictions have forced me to narrow down my learning
field.

This discussion contains 26 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version