518 posts - 784 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, Taiwanese, German, French

Message 9 of 31
22 October 2011 at 5:09am | IP Logged 
Taiwanese
Dutch
Cantonese

I live in Taiwan, and would love to learn Taiwanese, for many reasons. I've always wanted to learn another Chinese language, and Min languages are especially interesting from a linguistic perspective. Min split off from the other dialects early on, before the Middle Chinese period, and so they preserve many features of Old Chinese phonology. Plus you get massive street cred for speaking such a language.

There are a lot of Dutch speakers at my school.

Cantonese is just because it's cool, and also for the sake of knowing another southern "dialect". Chinese poetry also sounds better when read in Cantonese than in Mandarin (same is true for Min languages).

I intend to learn Taiwanese and Cantonese to a higher level than 100 words, though they will likely never be high priorities. If I end up in the Netherlands for my Master's, I'll of course learn Dutch better, though the courses would all be in English.
1 person has voted this message useful

Leurre
Bilingual Pentaglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5248 days ago

219 posts - 372 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Korean, Haitian Creole, SpanishC2
Studies: Japanese

Message 10 of 31
22 October 2011 at 5:38am | IP Logged 
Fun idea for a thread!

I'd definitely choose Mandarin Chinese.
I hear so much of it so often that I wish I could understand if only a couple of the
words people around me are saying!

lichtrausch
Triglot
United States
Joined 5783 days ago

525 posts - 1072 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Mandarin

Message 11 of 31
22 October 2011 at 7:14am | IP Logged 
Portuguese, Malay, Arabic, Norwegian, Finnish, Greek, Nahuatl, Quechua, Cantonese, Wu, Burmese, Telugu, Tamil, Kannada, etc etc etc. Lots of languages I want at least a little taste of.

Tamise
Triglot
United Kingdom
jllrr.wordpress.com/
Joined 5066 days ago

115 posts - 161 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Dutch
Studies: French, Japanese, Spanish

Message 12 of 31
22 October 2011 at 9:20am | IP Logged 
Vietnamese, Khmer, Yoruba, Wolof, Hindi, Cree, Maori.

Some of these I'd consider learning in more depth if I got the change - probably Vietnamese first as I have the same name as a Vietnamese girl my aunt once knew.

I could probably add to the list with pretty much every language under the sun, but doubt I'd ever get round to them all!

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5172 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech, Spanish
Studies: Italian, Polish, Slovak, Hungarian, Toki Pona, Russian

Message 13 of 31
22 October 2011 at 1:45pm | IP Logged 
Great idea!

My useful ones would be Vietnamese, Mongolian, Lebanese Arabic and Azeri.

To add another related question to the thread (I hope Solfrid Cristin doesn't mind), which 100 words do you think would be the most useful?

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5358 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 14 of 31
23 October 2011 at 1:28am | IP Logged 
I would be really tempted to do this for several languages, but I'd be afraid I'd get hooked and want to learn more. If I did this anyway, though, I would likely choose languages that I eventually want to learn, but have intentionally put off to concentrate on my current ones. That way if I do start to actually learn one, it won't feel like completely wasted time. Therefore, Japanese, Russian, and German are the most likely candidates.

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4953 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 15 of 31
23 October 2011 at 3:35am | IP Logged 
Warp3 wrote:
I would be really tempted to do this for several languages, but I'd be afraid I'd get hooked and want to learn more. If I did this anyway, though, I would likely choose languages that I eventually want to learn, but have intentionally put off to concentrate on my current ones. That way if I do start to actually learn one, it won't feel like completely wasted time.

I did this with Ojibwe this year as sort of a diversion from my current study languages. I used the Pimsleur 30 lesson course on and off for the first half of the year, and it actually gave me around 350 or so words. It was enough for me to consider learning it to a deeper level later on - maybe in a year or two.

There are a lot of different languages that I'd do the same way (not necessarily Pimsleur, but some sort of relatively pain-free audio course.)

R.
==

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6979 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 16 of 31
23 October 2011 at 3:51am | IP Logged 
hribecek wrote:
Great idea!

My useful ones would be Vietnamese, Mongolian, Lebanese Arabic and Azeri.

To add another related question to the thread (I hope Solfrid Cristin doesn't mind), which 100 words do you think would be the most useful?

I was actually thinking that it'd be better to memorize a total of 100 words and expressions. In some ways, I'd rather know 20 or 30 very basic phrases and complement the rest with words. Knowing 100 words on their own wouldn't be useful unless we get the right mix of words to be able to put together some coherent phrases.

One way to do this would be do to memorize at least some of the material in the "Basic Language Guide" for the desired languages at DLIFLC.

I'm actually now tempted to do this since I can see that DLI offers basic guides/phrasebooks for almost all of the languages in my list (no Greek or Italian, but, what can you do?)

Geez, way to distract me from my linguistic tasks at hand, Solfrid Cristin! :-P

6 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 31 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version