Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
23 messages over 3 pages: 1 2

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6515 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 17 of 23
08 November 2011 at 10:29am | IP Logged 
Please note that my Esperanto is placed under 'studies', not 'speaks'
1 person has voted this message useful

meramarina
Diglot
United States
Joined 5779 days ago

1341 posts - 2303 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Italian, French
Personal Language Map

Message 18 of 23
08 November 2011 at 3:20pm | IP Logged 
I think I've spoken like a reserved and bookish forty-year-old for a long time, maybe thirty years or so. But now, that's what I really am! I don't have to feel like a fraud anymore!

I have had many jobs in which I had to represent a company by speaking professionally over the phone. So now, when people call my house, they often think they have called a business by mistake!

Of course, thus far, this is only in English. Right now, for me, attempting to speak another language over the phone is MUCH more difficult than in person. In this situation it's not age I'm worried about, it's idiocy! I rarely have a chance to practice my languages conversationally but I plan to make better efforts to find them. I'll likely sound around the age of two, but I mean to improve!

Edited by meramarina on 08 November 2011 at 3:20pm

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5659 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 19 of 23
08 November 2011 at 4:25pm | IP Logged 
meramarina wrote:
Right now, for me, attempting to speak another language over the phone is MUCH more difficult than in person.

For me it doesn't really make a difference, whether I speak my foreign languages with somebody in person or via the Skype phone, both comes naturally for me. And even when I converse for the first time with an unknown person. Only my Danish is still limited in such conversations, but this is due a huge lack of vocabulary. Therefore I don't try to speak Danish on Skype very often.

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 08 November 2011 at 4:29pm

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5659 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Personal Language Map

Message 20 of 23
08 November 2011 at 4:41pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
Please note that my Esperanto is placed under 'studies', not 'speaks'

Of course I know. Same category "studies" for my Danish! I was only capable of speaking a little bit of Danish in Copenhagen - but often got answers in Danish and not in English, so this something for me to develop further within the next few years, which I will certainly need for it.

Fasulye

meramarina
Diglot
United States
Joined 5779 days ago

1341 posts - 2303 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Italian, French
Personal Language Map

Message 21 of 23
08 November 2011 at 5:04pm | IP Logged 
I am planning to start using Skype very soon - speaking effectively really should be first priority for me.

I feel a little afraid to start this kind of exchange, but I know I only need practice, and that's one way to get it. Whoever is kind and patient enough to become a converasation partner will certainly see me as a not-too-bright, hesitant, even inarticulate child, BUT (I try to encourage myself) BUT this stage will pass, and it's absolutely necessary for a serious language learner.

I hope to someday, perhaps, transform my middle-aged, bookish and reserved English- speaking self into what I'm aiming for: a middle-aged, bookish and reserved speaker of many languages! Unless that takes so long that I become a senior citizen in the process . . .

*NOTE: I can manage Spanish conversation in person, but oddly I have more trouble when speaking by phone - perhaps some of my understanding comes from the other person providing unspoken context clues I can see. Yet I can listen to native level Spanish TV and understand it - maybe my reaction time is slow.

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5659 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Personal Language Map

Message 22 of 23
08 November 2011 at 5:20pm | IP Logged 
meramarina wrote:
*NOTE: I can manage Spanish conversation in person, but oddly I have more trouble when speaking by phone - perhaps some of my understanding comes from the other person providing unspoken context clues I can see.

That's exactly what I heard once during a conversation that you need more context infos than only the voice of a person. I can understand this opinion and experience. When you talk from person to person in real life you have more non-verbal clues. Perhaps this is even more relevant when it comes to speaking foreign languages than when speaking the native language with somebody.

But as a callcenter professional I had to talk business in my foreign language to about 50 customers daily without any non-verbal clues and that I had to do 5 days a week = 250 different customers.

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 08 November 2011 at 5:56pm

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5659 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Personal Language Map

Message 23 of 23
08 November 2011 at 5:50pm | IP Logged 
meramarina wrote:
I am planning to start using Skype very soon - speaking effectively really should be first priority for me.

In the beginning you will have to get used to Skype. But then you will see that it's a useful method of having conversation partners in your foreign languages - which often are just not available in real life. So it gives you more possibilities to practise!

Fasulye

This discussion contains 23 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version