32 messages over 4 pages: 1 2 3
Jinx
Triglot
Germany
reverbnation.co
Joined 5505 days ago

1085 posts - 1879 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Catalan, Dutch, Esperanto, Croatian, Serbian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish, Yiddish

Message 25 of 32
01 November 2011 at 12:32pm | IP Logged 
Even if I theoretically reached a point someday of having learned all the languages I could ever expect to "use", I would still keep learning, picking something like Ancient Greek or Akkadian or Old Norse etc., just because I so enjoy the process of learning. For me, it's almost more about the process than the result, in fact - I love working my brain, wrapping it around new concepts, reading symbols and pronouncing sounds that I've never encountered before. Communication with others or learning about topics through reading/listening/etc. is, for me, more of an awesome byproduct of my love for learning languages.
2 persons have voted this message useful

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5242 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 26 of 32
01 November 2011 at 2:12pm | IP Logged 
As usual, I would like to take issue with how the question is framed. How can one learn a language without using it? Now, obviously, it all depends on how we define "using" a language. I don't expect to have conversations in Latin or Ancient Greek, but how can one seriously learn a language without having to actively at least write it or even speak it out loud at least to oneself? I understand that we are referring here to not being able to use the language with other speakers. I may be accused of quibbling, but I think you can study a language without actually using it. On the other hand, I don't see how you can learn a language without actively engaging it, i.e. using it.

Edited by s_allard on 01 November 2011 at 2:41pm

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6515 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 27 of 32
01 November 2011 at 3:18pm | IP Logged 
Use it or lose it. When I stopped my language studies in 1982 Latin was the first language I lost, simply because I only had learnt to read it, but nobody suggested that it be used actively - at least not for anything but the translations in the textbook.

No reading on a daily basis --> no practice at all --> No Latin. Even my Romanian lasted longer, although I never used it for communication.

The better you know a language (actively or passively) the more likely it is that it will linger on somewhere in your mind. If you just keep thinking a few sentences now and then, or read a few lines, then you keep it alive - although it will eventually rust away. If you aren't at a level where such trifles come easy to you then the resultat will probably be that you totally stop any activity in the language. And then it dies ignominously and in silence.

Edited by Iversen on 01 November 2011 at 3:22pm

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5146 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 28 of 32
01 November 2011 at 3:33pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
Use it or lose it. When I stopped my language studies in 1982 Latin was the first language I lost, simply because I only had learnt to read it. No reading on a daily basis --> no practice at all --> No Latin. Even my Romanian lasted longer, although I never used it for communication.

However the better you know a language (actively or passively) the more likely it is that it will linger on somewhere in your mind. If you just think a few sentences now and then or read a few lines, then you keep it alive. If you aren't at a level where such trifles come easy to you then the resultat will in all likelyhood be that you skip the language 100 %. And then it dies.

I agree, with only the slight modification that little bits and pieces of what you have lost may turn up unexpectedly. I learned a little bit of Polish 16 -17 years ago, and lost it completely for lack of use. When I started learning Russian, odd Polish words that were long forgotten turned up, and unfortunately not just the ones which were similar to the Russian words. I would drive both myself and my teacher crazy by putting Polish words into every Russian sentence. It took at least a year before I stopped, and even now, if I get stressed I may use the occasional Polish word.
1 person has voted this message useful

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5038 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 29 of 32
01 November 2011 at 4:52pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
Iversen wrote:
Use it or lose it. When I stopped [...] in all likelyhood be that you skip the language 100 %. And then it dies.

I agree, with only the slight modification that little bits and pieces of what you have lost may turn up unexpectedly. I learned a little bit of Polish [...] even now, if I get stressed I may use the occasional Polish word.

I've seen this kind of 'semi-forgotten language' interference. Isn't it funny -- in more than one way? :)

Interestingly enough, I've never thrown any Spanish unintentionally into another language, so I think of this as 'half-baked' language interference...
I used to throw English words in my German all the time. My German still has holes -rather than gaps- in it, but gradually the interference faded away. Now, whenever I try to speak Russian, random German words or pron do pop up instead of the right stuff. It's like you sort of notice a gap is coming in your speech and start to panic, then you try to pull anything that's not firmly assented somewhere else -hence the 'half-baked' label- so you can use it to plug the hole. Often with disastrous or hilarious results ;)

Edited by mrwarper on 01 November 2011 at 8:47pm

jalarcon
United States
mercurypoisonin
Joined 5006 days ago

5 posts - 4 votes

Message 30 of 32
01 November 2011 at 8:31pm | IP Logged 
If you do not speak that new language on a regular basis, you are bound to forget it in time.

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6721 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 31 of 32
01 November 2011 at 11:48pm | IP Logged 
jalarcon wrote:
If you do not speak that new language on a regular basis, you are bound to forget it in time.

I'd never forget English even if kept my mouth shut for the rest of my life, that's for sure.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6515 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 32 of 32
02 November 2011 at 2:22am | IP Logged 
But if you also keep the English part of your brain shut and abstain from listening to or reading English for the rest of your life, then even your English may be reduced to a few random and unconnected scraps.

But even then it may be easier to revoke if you should choose to return to this world than a language which you never learnt properly.

Personally I think that there are two processes in play: one is keeping an ever so fragile contact with an unused language, which will slow its inevitable fading away down - and you need a certain level in the language to keep this minimal contact without doing something specific. The other is the difference in speed between the relearning of languages you once knew well and those you just knew superficially (or not at all).

This discussion contains 32 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 2 3

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version