Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Grammar or Pronounciation more important?

Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
28 messages over 4 pages: 1 2 3
SamD
Triglot
United States
Joined 6471 days ago

823 posts - 987 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: Portuguese, Norwegian

Message 25 of 28
08 November 2011 at 3:25pm | IP Logged 
When I taught English as a Second Language, I had a number of students who wanted to be drilled on pronunciation. The problem was that many of them had been studying English long enough that they seemed stuck at a low level of pronunciation, perhaps 3/10 or 4/10. One student in particular would keep making the same mistakes over and over and insist that she was improving. If she had spent half of that time and effort on grammar or vocabulary, she might have made twice as much progress.
1 person has voted this message useful

H.Computatralis
Triglot
Poland
Joined 6116 days ago

130 posts - 210 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, French, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Latin

Message 26 of 28
08 November 2011 at 3:58pm | IP Logged 
It also depends on what method you use to teach your students the pronunciation. When I showed a French vowel chart to my colleagues and explained the various contrasts (height, backness, rounding) it was an "Aha!" moment and they were able to pronounce the French u right away. You should really explain the phonology to the students just as you explain grammar, using vowel charts, consonant charts, stress marks, etc. Unfortunately, these tools are rarely used in class.

2 persons have voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5193 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 27 of 28
08 November 2011 at 4:41pm | IP Logged 
H.Computatralis wrote:
It also depends on what method you use to teach your students the pronunciation. When I showed a French vowel chart to my colleagues and explained the various contrasts (height, backness, rounding) it was an "Aha!" moment and they were able to pronounce the French u right away. You should really explain the phonology to the students just as you explain grammar, using vowel charts, consonant charts, stress marks, etc. Unfortunately, these tools are rarely used in class.

Exactly. u is a rounded i. It's not that hard to understand or explain, but how many teachers know that?

There is a serious lack of knowledge about phonology among language teachers, which leads to claims that pronunciation will fix itself or that it's not worth wasting time on. However, it's a real problem for a lot of students who have a hard time being understood by people who aren't teachers and who aren't used to foreigners and these students loose confidence and stop talking.

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5193 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 28 of 28
08 November 2011 at 4:52pm | IP Logged 
SamD wrote:
When I taught English as a Second Language, I had a number of students who wanted to be drilled on pronunciation. The problem was that many of them had been studying English long enough that they seemed stuck at a low level of pronunciation, perhaps 3/10 or 4/10.

One student in particular would keep making the same mistakes over and over and insist that she was improving. If she had spent half of that time and effort on grammar or vocabulary, she might have made twice as much progress.

If a student deserves 3/10 or 4/10 on their pronunciation, I think we all agree that they need to work on that.

On the one hand, you are confirming that pronunciation needs to be dealt with right from the start, because bad habits don't just fix themselves over time. On the other hand, you are saying that she wasted her time trying to improve her pronunciation. So which is it? What should she do? Should she simply continue to speak with a bad pronunciation and leave it at that, or should she be helped?

This discussion contains 28 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 2 3

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version