pj1991
United States
Joined 4753 days ago

29 posts - 49 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 9 of 25
15 November 2011 at 1:59am | IP Logged 
At around 16 or so a couple of my buddies (who couldn't care less about learning languages) were put in a French class at school. I had an open spot in my schedule and got put into it viewing it as a place to hang out more than anything, none of us actually needed the credits. And had it been just about any other language I probably would have been excited, but I had some pretty ignorant and preconceived notions about learning French. I'm embarrassed to admit now that when I was studying other languages before this I actually looked down on people who tried to learn French. I saw it as a language for people who wanted to toot their own horn about speaking French like some pretentious Hollywood celebrity. To me it was a purely aesthetic thing to do for someones personality, that most people who really appreciated languages didn't waste their time with that. Pretty big surprise when it turned out to be the language that truly captivated me. I actually didn't want to admit it to myself at first, but I loved speaking it, I loved hearing it, I even loved the grammar. I couldn't and still don't go a day without using it in some way. Funny how it worked out in the end, but for me finding out how much I enjoyed French came as a big life lesson too. Whenever I think I may be passing judgment or realize I'm not exactly going into something with an open mind, I bring myself back to my first French class. As much as I love the language itself, I also view it as something that helped me take a big step in becoming a more mature person as a young teenager with being able to admit when I was wrong, and frankly, acting stupid.

Edited by pj1991 on 15 November 2011 at 2:01am

10 persons have voted this message useful

TixhiiDon
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 5264 days ago

772 posts - 1474 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese, German, Russian
Studies: Georgian

Message 10 of 25
15 November 2011 at 3:57am | IP Logged 
Although Japanese is the language in which I have reached the highest level of fluency, and Georgian is my new "thing", my favourite language is still, without a doubt, Russian. No other language has captivated me like Russian did from the moment I walked out of my very first class at 17 years old.

Fifteen years in Japan have made my spoken Russian shockingly rusty, but I am still illogically attracted to anything Russian: the food, the music, the films and TV, the literature, the country itself, and the people.

Edited by TixhiiDon on 15 November 2011 at 3:58am

1 person has voted this message useful

Leurre
Bilingual Pentaglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5225 days ago

219 posts - 372 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Korean, Haitian Creole, SpanishC2
Studies: Japanese

Message 11 of 25
15 November 2011 at 4:17pm | IP Logged 
Korean.
I can't stop thinking about it. No matter how much I daydream about learning other
languages (and I sometimes pass into action), Korean always tugs at me.
And it becomes an obsession. I can't NOT learn Korean, and get to speak it as well as any
native speaker (that's the impulse, at any rate). And every word or expression that I
don't know that I come across is like a simultaneous slap in the face ("Look how far you
are!") and a calling ("One more to learn!"). I don't feel this way about any other
language.

asies
Bilingual Tetraglot
India
Joined 4561 days ago

36 posts - 44 votes
Speaks: English, Hindi*, Nepali*, Urdu
Studies: Spanish

Message 12 of 25
15 November 2011 at 6:24pm | IP Logged 
Well it's not hard for me to decide which language is my favourite. hmm as you can see
i study only one language so that automatically makes it mi número UNO.

since my teenage days i was crazy for this language but never got chance or an
opportunity to learn(and it's not spoken here.)
Was busy studying and improving my English(English is a must for 90% good jobs here in
our country.)
So all these kept me busy for long time but now i have enough time and atleast i can 1-
2 hours a day and i have been introduced so many language learning
softwares/books/audios, i hope to gain the same level of fluency what i have in
english(Atleast)

Thanks to:- Mú and Cara who were always there to read and chat with me, aún recuerdo
que cómo hablé su idioma jajajajajaja.
sé que necesito practicar más y tengo que practicar día a día regularmente.
Quisiera decirles muchas gracias otra vez.....os quiero mucho!!!

note:- lo siento si escribí en mal español. =P
3 persons have voted this message useful

stout
Ireland
Joined 5171 days ago

108 posts - 140 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 13 of 25
16 November 2011 at 4:15pm | IP Logged 
French is my favourite foreign language because it is my second language.Italian is my
second favourite foreign language.

Edited by stout on 16 November 2011 at 4:18pm

Pierre Henri
Pentaglot
France
Joined 4559 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes
Speaks: French*, English, Italian, Polish, German
Studies: Modern Hebrew

Message 14 of 25
17 November 2011 at 7:22am | IP Logged 
Italian is my favourite language.

First, because (and that would be a sufficient motive) of the musical and highly suggestive nature of its sounds, words and syntax. It is therefore a purely taste consideration, as you would say for a piece of art, i.e. non open to rationale or judgement.

A second reason is its absolute reflexion of the Italian mind and my pleasure to have an insight look at it through it.

Lucky Charms
Diglot
Japan
lapacifica.net
Joined 6749 days ago

752 posts - 1711 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 15 of 25
17 November 2011 at 8:35am | IP Logged 
Mine is a draw between Japanese and Persian.

Japanese is the one non-native language I've reached fluency in, and I still feel a bit
exhilarated sometimes to hear it tripping off my tongue :D It's a fun language because
the way of putting sentences together is very different than in my native language, so
the sensation of putting a sentence together on the fly is something like solving a
Rubik's cube at lightning speed; yet, the grammar is simple and straightforward enough
not to be frustrating.

This "different, but not frustrating" combination seems to describe the type of
language that can hold my fascination for the longest. I do love German and Spanish,
but they both can be at times too similar to English and at times too grammatically
complex (what with cases, gender agreement, and all that), which gets tedious and
awakens a yearning for my next great linguistic adventure! And this next adventure,
I've decided, will be in Persian, which I've already dabbled in. Not only does it have
a beautiful writing system and an interesting grammar that doesn't seem too difficult
to learn; I'm hoping it will also serve as my gateway to the Near East just as Japanese
has been my gateway to the Far East.

Edited by Lucky Charms on 17 November 2011 at 8:36am

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4809 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 16 of 25
17 November 2011 at 2:18pm | IP Logged 
I am most fluent in English and currently fascinated by my 6wc language-German (and several others), but there is only one answer to the question: French.

There were times I even hated it and felt completely discouraged (many years ago) but during more than a decade, I have been fascinated by it and felt great with every piece of progress (that is quite rare these days as it is no longer easy to progress fast). Every time I start or continue learning a new language, no matter how beautiful and interesting, I soon remember there is so much to learn in French for me and I come back. It is the love of my life among foreign languages.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 25 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version