Diglot
United States
Joined 4836 days ago

119 posts - 220 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Mandarin, German, Modern Hebrew, French

Message 1 of 25
14 November 2011 at 5:46pm | IP Logged 
Among my favorite posts on this forum are those some of you write discussing the
idiosyncrasies of your favorite language, as well as the joy you find learning it and
interacting with its speakers, native materials, etc. These posts brim with such
passion, and they're all the more interesting to me because I don't have a favorite
language. I love all the languages I study, to be sure, but I don't regard any
particular one much more fondly than I do the others. I attribute this to my general
lack of favorite-having; in any particular realm, there are a lot of things that I
like a lot, but rarely does one become an all-time favorite.

So I'm curious: for those of you who claim a favorite language, what do you like about
it? How did you come to realize it was your favorite? When did you realize this (before
or after you started learning it)? Has your favorite language changed over time? And
for those who don't have a favorite language, why not?

Edited for formatting.

Edited by Magdalene on 14 November 2011 at 5:48pm

1 person has voted this message useful

WentworthsGal
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4688 days ago

191 posts - 246 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Swedish, Spanish

Message 2 of 25
14 November 2011 at 6:15pm | IP Logged 
Good question! :o) I don't really have a favourite language either... It changes depending on what I'm studying at the time, and whether I'm doing well in it too! At school I really enjoyed French. I started to teach myself Turkish whilst at school and that then became my favouite. At the moment I'm studying Swedish and more recently Polish but because I'm more advanced in Swedish, this is my favourite language at the moment... I'm sure this will change again in the future lol.

I look forward to finding out what other people think too...

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6956 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 3 of 25
14 November 2011 at 6:34pm | IP Logged 
My favourite language remains Hungarian because:

Chung wrote:
[...] Learning Hungarian was probably the most significant in my linguistic development since it really opened my mind and made me realize that a language doesn't need to be like Romance and Germanic ones in order to function "properly" or "logically". Learning Hungarian got me accustomed to a lexicon whose roots are not Indo-European, vowel harmony, heavy agglutination, many cases, conjugation based on definiteness and dealing even more with flexible syntax. It has also prepared me somewhat for learning Estonian and Finnish.

Outside linguistics, learning Hungarian also fired my desire to learn about the culture and history of people living in areas that are associated with Hungarians, namely Eastern Europe, Central Asia and Western Siberia.
(From "How languages help you on for the next")

...and...

Chung wrote:
[...] HUNGARIAN: I love it because studying it opened my eyes to the linguistic world outside the usual Indo-European suspects. It's also the easiest of the Uralic language that I've dealt with (Estonian and Finnish have been much harder for me than Hungarian). It sounds great, and I also get good vibes from it because of some very good experiences meeting and spending time with Hungarians throughout Eastern Europe.
(From "What do you love about your languages?")

See this thread where several of us describe why we love the languages that we do. A related thread is “Your favorite dialect(s)”.

P.S. I should give honourable mention to Northern Saami as this post from a few months ago is still largely valid.

Edited by Chung on 15 November 2011 at 4:49pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6382 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 4 of 25
14 November 2011 at 7:17pm | IP Logged 
My favorite language, hands down, is Cantonese. It's a joy to speak and to listen to. It's so vivid and alive. Imagine a
language spoken every day by millions of people in one of the most modern cities in the world, which still doesn't
have a standardised written form. It's a rebellious underdog language brimming with swears and crude slang (two of
the numbers between one and ten mean "cock" if you pronounce them with the wrong tone) and a down-to-earth
humor visible in many common word formations. It's got everything I love about Mandarin, but twice as much of it!
More complicated characters (and more of them!), more tones, more sounds and more formality registers.

Unfortunately, I find myself spending more time with Mandarin. It's got a million times as much written material,
lots more resources, more opportunities to practice and Cantonese speakers don't even respect their own language
and often consider it inferior to Mandarin. But a solid foundation in Mandarin is a good way to conquer Cantonese,
and every moment I spend with Mandarin, I'm thinking of Cantonese.
6 persons have voted this message useful

jdmoncada
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4834 days ago

470 posts - 741 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Finnish
Studies: Russian, Japanese

Message 5 of 25
14 November 2011 at 7:37pm | IP Logged 
I think I am like Magdalene in that I avoid having a favorite for the most part. I like being able to have variety and enjoy the nuance of many different things. I also know that if pressed to choose, I could never settle with just one language.

That interest in many things is just a feature of my personality. I do the same with playving a variety of musical instruments. I'm better at some than others, but I enjoy all that I do and wouldn't want any of it taken away.

But... if I absolutely had to pick one of my languages, I would go with Finnish. I know it to the best degree, for one, and I realized that my experience in Finnish was the first time I had been completely independent as a young adult. Had I gone to Hungary, for example, as I had originally anticipated, I'm sure all my praise would be for Hungarian. As it is in my present, my Hungarian is barely remembered (though I was studying it first), and my Finnish persists even after years of no direct exposure to the language or culture.

fomalhaut
Groupie
United States
Joined 4703 days ago

80 posts - 101 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German

Message 6 of 25
14 November 2011 at 7:44pm | IP Logged 
There is great joy in finishing a complicated construction in German by topping it off with the conjugated verb. Since the number of verbs at the end can be up to like, 4? fininally ending with the conjugated verb is like "whew"

blah blah blah blah, dass ich schwimmen gehen wollte

it's mentally satisfying.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Humdereel
Octoglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4778 days ago

90 posts - 349 votes 
Speaks: English, Spanish*, Arabic (Levantine), Arabic (Egyptian), Arabic (Written), Turkish, Persian, Urdu
Studies: Russian

Message 7 of 25
15 November 2011 at 1:00am | IP Logged 
My favorite has been Arabic. Despite the case of diglossia and the several dialects, it has been a fun, rich, and puzzling language to work with. I love the writing and the bountiful literature associated with it, whether it's the 1001 Nights, Abu Nawas, or other literary works. The spoken forms have been a joy to go through. Learning the Egyptian and Levantine, Gulf, Hijazi, and Iraqi slang and idioms and being able to piece together the several branches of pop culture has been quite an adventure.

Aside from that, and my native Spanish, I also love Turkish and Persian,although I have less experience with these two. Visiting Turkey before and speaking the language greatly enhanced my experience and it was amazing to dig into Turkish culture. Persian, although I'm less skilled in it than in Arabic and Turkish, is also highly fascinating, whether it's reading the powerful works of Ferdowsi, Hafiz, Saadi, and beyond or simply speaking the language to those who speak "New" Persian.
2 persons have voted this message useful

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5942 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 8 of 25
15 November 2011 at 1:29am | IP Logged 
I think I must belong to the group that doesn't have a favorite language because every time I try to pick just one, there's an outcry in my head of all the other beloved languages that I'm neglecting.

For example:

"Japanese is my favorite language." (No! What about Swahili and Persian?)

"Greek is my favorite language." (Wait, you're forgetting Russian and Finnish!)

"Dutch is my favorite language." (Why not Romanian or Swedish?!)

And that's not even considering languages that I like but haven't had the chance to study properly (Polish, Georgian, Arabic, Hungarian, etc)...

This discussion contains 25 messages over 4 pages: 2 3 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version