linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5834 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 41 of 47
25 November 2011 at 2:43pm | IP Logged 
Ketutar wrote:
I have been ostracised by Amazon because I'm poor. I don't have a credit card, and Amazon.com doesn't accept any other method of payment.

Some other internet bookstores opened up the opportunity to pay through paypal only recently. 10 years ago there were practically no internet stores available for me.
My only option was a local bookstore.

In many parts of the world, you can now get a "prepaid credit card". Setting aside that this is an oxymoron, it's designed for exactly your situation -- people who can't get credit cards due to financial problems but who still want to take advantage of cheap online prices (after all, if you can't get a credit card, you'll likely be looking to save money).

If they're not available yet in Sweden, get a group of people together to start demanding them from the banks. Campaign for them.

After all, the banks won't give up the opportunity to make more profit once they know there's a genuine demand.
1 person has voted this message useful

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5049 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 42 of 47
26 November 2011 at 9:47pm | IP Logged 
@Cainntear: good point about the oxymoronically-named cards, they're sure a boon for 'paupers'.

@Juan

It always makes me sad to see how brilliant people like you can be so pessimistic sometimes. This reminds me a lot the thread crippling effect of technology, and I'm afraid I'll repeat myself a bit over here. I think you must have had a bad day that somehow made you overlook the true nature of things.

If Amazon doesn't convince you, don't buy from them. But as far as I can see, they're not stopping me from getting books. It's not like because of Amazon, I can no longer do <whatevere>. So they're not "evil", just stupid, because they're missing on my money. Good digital readers open the door to getting new books in new ways.

Almost anything I may want to read I already have on paper, and I certainly have more than I'll be able to read in my entire lifetime. Reading on a 10" e-ink screen is almost as good as reading on paper, and much better many times; you can fit an entire library in a small suitcase. All of my digital documents are in 'open' formats that ensure their readability through my lifetime. And no one can prevent me (even legally) from scanning my books and putting them in my reader for portability.

It's always the same story with technology. You can always do more things, and some of the ones you did before you can do faster, and cheaper, so technology is your friend. The only problem is that technology is an unfaithful lover, or everybody's friend :) Technology won't magically take us to the best possible world, because the stupid and selfish guys who work against it use technology for their advantage too.

So, don't blame technology, or bad technological choices when you should blame regulators, protectionists, and modern-day highwaymen; use technology to fight them back, or they'll use it to get you. And if some day you're not clear on who's winning, just have faith and keep fighting. As some wise men said, neither freedom nor change roll are inevitable, but come only through continuous struggle.
3 persons have voted this message useful

newyorkeric
Diglot
Singapore
Joined 6202 days ago

1598 posts - 2174 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian
Studies: Mandarin, Malay
Personal Language Map

Message 43 of 47
27 November 2011 at 1:32am | IP Logged 
Juаn wrote:
Ketutar wrote:
I have been ostracised by Amazon because I'm poor. I don't have a credit card, and Amazon.com doesn't accept any other method of payment.

Your situation can more easily be mended though. You might find different employment alternatives that generate greater income, apply for a credit card, and use it to acquire your materials.

This is an amazingly arrogant and naive thing to write.
9 persons have voted this message useful

Ketutar
Triglot
Sweden
Joined 4606 days ago

20 posts - 31 votes
Speaks: Finnish*, English, Swedish
Studies: French, Italian, Maltese

Message 44 of 47
28 November 2011 at 2:24pm | IP Logged 
Juаn wrote:
Your situation can more easily be mended though. You might find different employment alternatives that generate greater income, apply for a credit card, and use it to acquire your materials.

And it is as possible that the relations of USA and Colombia get warmer and Amazon.com starts accepting your money; that you find an internet bookstore that can provide you with the material you need etc.etc.

Anything can happen.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Ketutar
Triglot
Sweden
Joined 4606 days ago

20 posts - 31 votes
Speaks: Finnish*, English, Swedish
Studies: French, Italian, Maltese

Message 45 of 47
28 November 2011 at 2:31pm | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:
In many parts of the world, you can now get a "prepaid credit card".

I think there is, but I'm not only poor, I also have bad credit... and in Sweden that is a serious obstacle. I'm hoping enough people will request Amazon.com to accept Paypal instead :-D

Anyway, it's not a problem. If I can't get what I want, I'll find something else instead or be without.

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5834 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 46 of 47
28 November 2011 at 4:37pm | IP Logged 
Ketutar wrote:
Cainntear wrote:
In many parts of the world, you can now get a "prepaid credit card".

I think there is, but I'm not only poor, I also have bad credit... and in Sweden that is a serious obstacle. I'm hoping enough people will request Amazon.com to accept Paypal instead :-D

Anyway, it's not a problem. If I can't get what I want, I'll find something else instead or be without.

Your credit record shouldn't be relevant to a prepaid card, as you can't get into debt, seeing as you've got to put money on the card before you spend it....

Juаn
Colombia
Joined 5168 days ago

727 posts - 1830 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 47 of 47
28 November 2011 at 4:39pm | IP Logged 
newyorkeric wrote:
Juаn wrote:
Ketutar wrote:

This is an amazingly arrogant and naive thing to write.

This is an unexpected post.

In all honesty I have no clue what you (or the people that voted for your post) are objecting to.

What is so "arrogant" about referencing the prospect of increasing one's income and making money enough to purchase such basic goods as books, and comparing this development, one that routinely takes place for myriads of people around the world, to a future where these -books- are not even for sale to you because of your geographical location regardless of what you do or how much money you have and are willing to pay?

There is an obvious difference between a personal situation subject to change and one that is utterly beyond your influence.

Not that it matters either, but my own pecuniary means are in all probability more modest than those of the OP's, - yet I manage.

Your unwarranted response is the excuse I needed to stop wasting valuable time online and devote it instead to more consistent study. Have a good day.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 47 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version