Pentaglot
United States
Joined 4707 days ago

115 posts - 217 votes 
Speaks: Italian, English*, Spanish, Portuguese, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 1 of 20
21 November 2011 at 4:15am | IP Logged 
Hello! everyone, Recently I was thinking that it would be cool to be able to fluently understand an Italian dialect, not
necessarily be able to speak one. So, I chose Neapolitan XD my family isn't from Naples, they're from Tuscany, but
despite what the northerners say, I think the dialects are very interesting. So, this brings me to my original
question...
Where can I learn neapolitan? Or at least learn to understand it. I know a few people who can speak it, but they're
like my parents friends and it would be weird to constantly ask them language related questions.

If any of you have any resources that would be awesome! or better yet if any of you have any videos or movies in
which Neapolitan is spoken that would be awesome

thanks!
1 person has voted this message useful

xander.XVII
Diglot
Italy
Joined 4849 days ago

189 posts - 215 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, EnglishC1
Studies: French

Message 2 of 20
21 November 2011 at 9:14pm | IP Logged 
Firstly you really need to be fluent or, at least, good at Italian, otherwise it will be very hard to understand, because Napolitan as
many dialects is mainly based on Italian.
Secondly, as far as I'm concerned, it would be better for you to stay over there in order to hear it in colloquial and daily
speaking, moreover you ought to consider that terms, notably in dialects, often change.
Napolitan is quite famous as dialect, so I do not think it will be impossible to find some website with grammar news (even
Wikipedia perhaps),however I guess it will be far harder to find a book about Napolitan grammar and vocabulary.

RatoDePorão
Pentaglot
Brazil
Joined 4646 days ago

15 posts - 16 votes
Speaks: Portuguese*, English, Spanish, French, Italian
Studies: German

Message 3 of 20
22 November 2011 at 1:00am | IP Logged 
Could anybody, please, correct me? I'd always thought Neapolitan (and the other Italian languages (dialects?)) was a language and not a dialect of Italian

I'd love to find stuff to do with those languages, I've recently found some articles on Wikipedia and could follow along quite well :D It's so funny when you recognize the similaritires between languages (Italian and those languages of Italy...German and Bavarian)

newyorkeric
Diglot
Singapore
Joined 6174 days ago

1598 posts - 2174 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian
Studies: Mandarin, Malay
Personal Language Map

Message 4 of 20
22 November 2011 at 5:39am | IP Logged 
Pino Daniele sings nice songs in napolitano. You can also find his lyrics on line. They are reasonably understandable if you know some Italian, though I don't know if he sings in the "pure" dialect or not.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5129 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 5 of 20
22 November 2011 at 7:59am | IP Logged 
I have a dictionary "Napolitano-Italiano", but I have never seen any book to actually learn the language. I think you need to got there to learn it. Since I have met people who only spoke "napolitano" and did not speak Italian, I would say they are far enough away to call them different languages, but I suppose Italian authorities would use the word dialects. Does anyone know what independent linguists say?

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6377 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 6 of 20
22 November 2011 at 9:43am | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
Does anyone know what independent linguists say?

Yes. They say "There's no linguistic basis to the different terms 'dialect' and 'language'. From a linguistic standpoint it's the same thing." So whether they are "dialects", "languages" or both, that's a question of politics, or convenience, but not linguistics.

There's a great term, "topolect", invented to bypass this entire quagmire and enable people to actually talk about these sprachbunds without tripping over terminology. "Topolect" simply means "The way people speak in a specific place", without regards to politics or intelligibility or what have you. It was invented for the Chinese topolects, but I don't see any reason not to use it with Italian as well.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5129 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 7 of 20
22 November 2011 at 10:33am | IP Logged 
I know the traditional quip about "a language being a dialect with an army" but are there really no objective criteria at all? Percentage of differences in vocabulary, pronunciation or grammar, for instance? No wonder people here on this forum speak about the Romance languages being dialects of eachother.

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 22 November 2011 at 2:52pm

OCCASVS
Tetraglot
Poland
Joined 6438 days ago

134 posts - 140 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: Italian*, English, French, Polish

Message 8 of 20
22 November 2011 at 11:46am | IP Logged 
xander.XVII wrote:
Napolitan as
many dialects is mainly based on Italian.

It isn't. Neapolitan is just a dialect in the Southern Italian continuum.

RatoDePorão wrote:
Could anybody, please, correct me? I'd always thought Neapolitan (and the other Italian languages (dialects?)) was a language and not a dialect of Italian

Exactly, if by Neapolitan you mean the Southern Italian continuum ;) But saying that it's a dialect of Italian means corrupting our history and (linguistical) identity :)

newyorkeric wrote:
Pino Daniele sings nice songs in napolitano. You can also find his lyrics on line. They are reasonably understandable if you know some Italian, though I don't know if he sings in the "pure" dialect or not.

He sings in a corrupted mix of Neapolitan and Italian.

Anyway, I'm not aware of resources for getting some passive knowledge of this language/dialect. You may try to find your way through grammars and dictionaries.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 20 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version