Diglot
Italy
Joined 5755 days ago

22 posts - 31 votes
Speaks: English*, Italian
Studies: Latin, French

Message 9 of 20
22 November 2011 at 10:14pm | IP Logged 
Assimil has Il Friulano in tasca, Il Genovese in tasca, and Il Piemontese in tasca, all of course with Italian as the base language, but nothing for Neapolitan. I haven't used these and the descriptions sound like they are more like phrasebooks, but if you want to learn an Italian dialect, it may be a starting point.
1 person has voted this message useful

ikinaridango
Triglot
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 5919 days ago

61 posts - 80 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese, Italian
Studies: German, Polish

Message 10 of 20
24 November 2011 at 1:39pm | IP Logged 
OCCASVS wrote:
xander.XVII wrote:
Napolitan as
many dialects is mainly based on Italian.

It isn't. Neapolitan is just a dialect in the Southern Italian continuum.

RatoDePorão wrote:
Could anybody, please, correct me? I'd always thought Neapolitan
(and the other Italian languages (dialects?)) was a language and not a dialect of
Italian

Exactly, if by Neapolitan you mean the Southern Italian continuum ;) But saying that
it's a dialect of Italian means corrupting our history and (linguistical) identity :)

Agreed. The distinction between language and dialect is a contentious one, and one over
which the debate shows little sign of abating. Some would say that a country's so-
called standard language(s), be it Italian, English, Japanese or whatever, is simply
one dialect that has achieved greater social and political currency and thus acquires a
veneer of prestige.

As far as Neapolitan is concerned, whatever your position on the dialect versus
language issue, it can't however be successfully argued that the language of Naples is
'based' on standard Italian. Standard Italian, which as far as I know was drawn largely
from the Florentine of the era of Dante, Petrarch and Boccaccio, is, like, modern
Neapolitan, a descendant of vulgar Latin. However, vulgar Latin's transition to modern
Neapolitan would have occurred independently of its parallel evolution into the
varieties that would come to be associated with Florence and Tuscany in general. This
means it would be no more plausible to suggest that Neapolitan, Sicilian or Piedmontese
are based on standard Italian than it would be to suggest that standard Spanish,
French or Romanian are.

My apologies to the original poster for not addressing the topic at hand. I too would
like to know of more resources for learning the so-called dialects of the Italian
peninsula.

ikinaridango
Triglot
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 5919 days ago

61 posts - 80 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese, Italian
Studies: German, Polish

Message 11 of 20
24 November 2011 at 1:42pm | IP Logged 
yall wrote:
Assimil has Il Friulano in tasca, Il Genovese in tasca, and
Il Piemontese in tasca, all of course with Italian as the base language, but
nothing for Neapolitan. I haven't used these and the descriptions sound like they are
more like phrasebooks, but if you want to learn an Italian dialect, it may be a starting
point.

These are to the best of my knowledge phrasebooks, though knowing Assimil perhaps they
provide more than more conventional offerings in the language for holidaymakers field.
Does anyone know how much they (claim) to teach you, and how they compare to the
conventional Assimil courses?

Edited by ikinaridango on 24 November 2011 at 1:46pm

Flarioca
Heptaglot
Brazil
Joined 5676 days ago

635 posts - 816 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Esperanto, French, EnglishC2, Spanish, German, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Mandarin

Message 12 of 20
26 November 2011 at 9:03pm | IP Logged 
One of the most beautiful songs of all times was written in Neapolitan:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ullp5jSS5xY

numerodix
Trilingual Hexaglot
Netherlands
Joined 6577 days ago

856 posts - 1226 votes 
Speaks: EnglishC2*, Norwegian*, Polish*, Italian, Dutch, French
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin

Message 13 of 20
26 November 2011 at 9:37pm | IP Logged 
I think it's cool that someone is trying to learn one of these dialects. But how is it
going, did you manage to find any useful learning materials? More interesting still, what
do you plan to use it for?

Nature
Diglot
Groupie
Canada
Joined 5031 days ago

63 posts - 80 votes 
Speaks: English*, French

Message 14 of 20
05 December 2011 at 8:26am | IP Logged 
Rule 1 of Neapolitan: Don't EVER pronounce the vowels at the end of the word!

Rykketid
Diglot
Groupie
Italy
Joined 4627 days ago

88 posts - 146 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English
Studies: French

Message 15 of 20
01 February 2012 at 7:38pm | IP Logged 
RatoDePorão wrote:
Could anybody, please, correct me? I'd always thought Neapolitan
(and the other Italian languages (dialects?)) was a language and not a dialect of
Italian

I'd love to find stuff to do with those languages, I've recently found some articles on
Wikipedia and could follow along quite well :D It's so funny when you recognize the
similaritires between languages (Italian and those languages of Italy...German and
Bavarian)

Hi, some of them are considered languages, others are considered dialects... don't ask
me why and what the criteria for such a distinction are... As for Neapolitan, it was
recently "upgraded" to the status of language furthermore it is a UNESCO World Heritage
(!).

Besides Italian, other languages of the Italian Peninsula are Sicilian, Sardinian,
Ladino, Venetian and so on and so forth... Some dialects are the dialect of Bologna,
Romanesque, Milanese...

However, basically each single city/town/village has its own dialect! Many foreign
people have asked me to explain the dialects issue and I always get a headache when it
comes to explain them this thing... it's so complicated! :-)         &nb sp;   
2 persons have voted this message useful

etracher
Triglot
Groupie
Italy
Joined 5128 days ago

92 posts - 180 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, Russian, Latvian

Message 16 of 20
04 February 2012 at 5:32pm | IP Logged 
ikinaridango wrote:
yall wrote:
Assimil has Il Friulano in tasca, Il Genovese in tasca, and
Il Piemontese in tasca, all of course with Italian as the base language, but
nothing for Neapolitan. I haven't used these and the descriptions sound like they are
more like phrasebooks, but if you want to learn an Italian dialect, it may be a starting
point.

These are to the best of my knowledge phrasebooks, though knowing Assimil perhaps they
provide more than more conventional offerings in the language for holidaymakers field.
Does anyone know how much they (claim) to teach you, and how they compare to the
conventional Assimil courses?

I own Il Friulano in Tasca and I can say that it most definitely is not a standard phrasebook. The book consists of an introduction to the language and region, a short (45 p.) summary of grammar, and "conversation" section that is a mix of linguistic functions, typical Assimil humour,and thematic vocab and phrases (without trying to present "useful" tourist phrases, however). It also includes an Italian/Friulian glossary at the end. I believe that the Piemontese and Genovese follow the same format, but I haven't looked at them in a while and I don't own them. I found the book interesting, but not all that useful once I acquired a larger grammar book.

I'm sorry that I can't help the original poster with the question about Neapolitan, though. I've got material for other Italian "dialects" but I haven't started collecting anything related to Neapolitan yet. I know that there is a small Italian/Neapolitan dictionary published by Vallardi. It is probably similar in format to the Bolognese and Friulian ones, which have a short section on grammar and pronunciation (including irregular verbs), basic bilingual dictionaries running both ways, and a series of proverbial expressions at the end.

Edited by etracher on 04 February 2012 at 5:35pm

This discussion contains 20 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version