Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5146 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 1 of 17
23 November 2011 at 1:51pm | IP Logged 
As always, I appologize for the weird title, but the background for my question is this: I have just been on a one week guided bus tour through Turkey, where all the guiding was in English, and although the participants represented a cross section of the Norwegian society in terms of age and educational level, that was no problem. We also often get Swedish and Danish guides, due to the simlilarities of the languages. This works fine, except for the fact that Danish guides always drive me up the wall with their firm belief that in order for Norwegians to understand them, they should insert Swedish words, which in reality makes it harder for us to understand them. Swedish pronounced by a Dane, is not for the faint of heart.

So my question is: Which foreign languages could a randomly chosen group of your countrymen be guided in? I assume that all three Scandinavian countries plus the Netherlands could have it in English, that the Slovaks could have it in Czech, and the Ukrainians in Russian, and possibly the Cantonese in Mandarin - but how about the rest of you?

Which languages could a a group of your countrymen be guided in, and which could you personally be guided in?

In my case, in addition to those already mentioned, I have been guided several times in French and Spanish, and I suppose that in a pinch I could have been guided in German and Italian, though if everyone else were native speakers, and the guiding was at fast, native speed, I might end up with a head ache for the last two ones :-)

2 persons have voted this message useful

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5659 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 17
23 November 2011 at 2:06pm | IP Logged 
Groups of German tourists are normally guided in German in foreign countries and where that is not possible they are guided in English.

I can't travel, so for me it is a hypothetical question, but I would enjoy a tourist guide talking in:

- German
- English
- Dutch
- Italian
- Spanish
- French
- Esperanto

but with a guide speaking native Danish I would probably only understand 5 % of what he / she says.

By the way, the VHS offers a guided visit to the city of Aachen with a visit of the German Christmas market and a meal with the group in a Spanish restaurant - all conducted in Spanish(!).

Such an all-in-Spanish language event would be excellent speaking and listening practise for me, but it's a bit too expensive, so I have to renounce this offer.

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 23 November 2011 at 2:08pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Alexander86
Tetraglot
United Kingdom
alanguagediary.blogs
Joined 4793 days ago

224 posts - 323 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German, Catalan
Studies: Swedish

Message 3 of 17
23 November 2011 at 2:22pm | IP Logged 
Being from the UK I have to say English or er...
So on to me personally:

I can be guided in English and Spanish without any problems, Catalan too although my understanding would be
75-80% instead of 90-100% as in the previous languages. Then German, I went on a boat tour in Hamburg in
German where I had to translate for my Fiancée... he he he. I couldn't tell her much!

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6394 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 4 of 17
23 November 2011 at 2:44pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
and possibly the Cantonese in Mandarin

That'd work for mainland Cantonese, but overseas Canto speakers and Hong Kongers (and I'm guessing Macauers) cannot be assumed to understand Mandarin, at least not those born in the 80's or earlier (my girlfriend speaks passable but not good Mandarin, and some of her friends have trouble holding a conversation in it). Disneyland Hong Kong has tours in English, Cantonese and Mandarin. Also, older mailand Cantos (60+ years) will sometimes have problems, though most can understand it even if they can't speak it.

EDIT: I'm also guessing most Portugese speakers (at least those in Brazil and Porugal) have a decent understanding of Spanish? Not that they're mutually intelligible, but similarities combined with large exposure? I'd venture they can understand Spanish a lot better than most Spanish speakers could understand Portugese.

Edited by Ari on 23 November 2011 at 2:47pm

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6515 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 5 of 17
23 November 2011 at 3:50pm | IP Logged 
I mostly get impatient and stop listening after aprox. 2 minutes and 23 seconds so the language doesn't really mean much. However for the record I have been guided in Danish, Norwegian, Swedish, English, 'mild' Scots, German, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and Hungarian (which I didn't understand).

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5146 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian

Message 6 of 17
23 November 2011 at 5:21pm | IP Logged 
Ari wrote:
I'm also guessing most Portugese speakers (at least those in Brazil and Porugal) have a decent understanding of Spanish? Not that they're mutually intelligible, but similarities combined with large exposure? I'd venture they can understand Spanish a lot better than most Spanish speakers could understand Portugese.

I have guided multitudes of Brazilian groups in Spanish, so I can confirm that. It was always the same story: I would start the guiding saying: "Welcome to Oslo, I hope you understand me because I do not understand you". They would all laugh, and a minute and a half later they would start to speak to me in Portuguese. Which I was not kidding when I said that I didn't understand...

outcast
Bilingual Heptaglot
China
Joined 4761 days ago

869 posts - 1364 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English*, German, Italian, French, Portuguese, Mandarin
Studies: Korean

Message 7 of 17
23 November 2011 at 5:27pm | IP Logged 
First hand account:

I was on tours of Europe in 2004 and 2005 with my family. The tour groups on both occasions were 90% Argentines and Brazilians (seemingly typical mix for South American tourist presence everywhere), with a scatter or Mexicans. The company was based in Spain. The Brazilians in the end had few problems understanding, though it would not be infrequent that they would ask the guide to repeat what he/she had said. At the beginning of the trips themselves, the Brazilians would complain to each other and had to request verbally to the guide a slower rate of speech. Most Brazilians study "Argentine" Spanish, so the Castillian accent was probably slightly difficult for the first day or two.

As for the average person in Argentina, sadly Spanish is about the only thing they would understand with certainty. Some do know English, Portuguese and in lesser fashion French and German, but the honest truth is most in Argentina are monolingual in spite of what some Argentines may claim about the ''education'' level of the country, which is pretty poor because secondary education is a joke these days.

Generally, it is obvious that people from the New World are far less likely to know more than one language, for two reasons I suspect:

a) the languages they speak (English, Spanish) are major and many others speak them as L2
b) some countries are so large that even if you drove for days, you remain in your country, and same language and TV. In Europe, and perhaps in Asia, there are many smaller language zones so it's more likely people speak by nature more than one, which makes it easier to learn others.

Humdereel
Octoglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4790 days ago

90 posts - 349 votes 
Speaks: English, Spanish*, Arabic (Levantine), Arabic (Egyptian), Arabic (Written), Turkish, Persian, Urdu

Message 8 of 17
23 November 2011 at 6:22pm | IP Logged 
Interesting topic.

I don't get to travel as much as I used to but I feel quite comfortable with the following when being guided:

-Arabic (especially the Egyptian and Levantine dialects, though I also feel comfortable with others); I spent about 5 months in Egypt for my first visit, mainly to improve my Arabic skills, and when I visited 18 months later, I remember being off-the-beaten path and could understand almost everything the guide said; I studied in Syria and when I moved onto Jordan, the case was similar. Typically, you can find English-speaking guides, but I always liked them to use Arabic. :P

-Spanish
-Persian, hypothetically speaking, since whenever my friends are telling me about their traditions and whatnot I have a general understanding. However, I could use more practice.
-Turkish -- I had minimal trouble when I visited Turkey in 2008

As for the Spanish and Portuguese case, I would agree with what has been stated earlier. I'm a native Spanish speaker and I had trouble with Portuguese for the first few days of it, without any previous exposure, and it took me a little longer to get used to more complex conversations. On the other hand, I would speak Spanish to my Brazilian friend and he understood much of what I said after a few minutes. My friend from Portugal, however, was another story. If I have written Portuguese in front of me to accompany the speaking, it is much easier, but as far as solely speaking and listening, it isn't as simple.

This discussion contains 17 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version