Language Learning Forum : Specific Languages Post Reply
43 messages over 6 pages: 1 24 5 6  Next >>
ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5952 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 17 of 43
27 November 2011 at 8:23pm | IP Logged 
Aside from my brother occasionally calling me a terrorist and my father asking me if I'm a secret Muslim, the most frequent reaction I got when I mentioned to people that I study Persian is asking me why I'm learning a dead language. Sigh.
4 persons have voted this message useful

prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4669 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Bulgarian, Croatian
Studies: Slovenian, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Swedish, German, Italian, Armenian, Kurdish

Message 18 of 43
27 November 2011 at 9:30pm | IP Logged 
TalkativeHoopoe wrote:
This makes me want to study Arabic even more!

As for Persian and Pashto: I'm a native speaker, and I personally always find it interesting when a non-native decides to learn it. My mom's side of the family (where that part of my heritage comes from), always gets overjoyed when they learn about a foreigner learning their language, especially if they're native to a Western country.

Since I've been studying Persian at university, I think they would adore me :D
2 persons have voted this message useful

squonk
Groupie
United States
Joined 4556 days ago

44 posts - 60 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Irish

Message 19 of 43
27 November 2011 at 11:09pm | IP Logged 
I have never received any negative remarks about my learning Arabic. In fact, I usually
hear comments of wonder, admiration, or amazement from non-Arabs who don't know me well.
Those who do know me already understand that I've always been hopelessly addicted to
language-learning, and they figure that Arabic is simply par for the course.

I live in the state of Ohio, in an area where Arabs are a significant minority. Arabs
here appear flattered and supportive when I attempt to speak with them.

2 persons have voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5144 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 20 of 43
27 November 2011 at 11:23pm | IP Logged 
It is 100 years since I did any Arabic (ok, so only 30 - just feels like 100), but the main reaction I got then was a mild curiosity as to why I would learn such an exotic language. Since my strategy against stupid questions about why I learn a certain language, is always to give them a plausible reason for it, I would just say that I believed it would open up more job opportunities, since so few studied it. We were 8 who studied Arabic at the University of Oslo, the 7 others who continued studying Arabic after I dropped out all converted to Islam. It was really an exotic topic in those days.

I have dabbled in both Hebrew and Arabic and love them both. If I had any extra time I would have learned both languages.

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 27 November 2011 at 11:23pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

TalkativeHoopoe
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4557 days ago

11 posts - 13 votes
Speaks: Spanish, Persian, Pashto*, English

Message 21 of 43
27 November 2011 at 11:53pm | IP Logged 
prz_ wrote:
TalkativeHoopoe wrote:
This makes me want to study Arabic even more!

As for Persian and Pashto: I'm a native speaker, and I personally always find it interesting when a non-native decides to learn it. My mom's side of the family (where that part of my heritage comes from), always gets overjoyed when they learn about a foreigner learning their language, especially if they're native to a Western country.

Since I've been studying Persian at university, I think they would adore me :D

Yes, they most likely would. Greetings would consist of several hugs and whatnot. :-)a
1 person has voted this message useful

P0nd3r
Bilingual Diglot
United States
Joined 5014 days ago

30 posts - 35 votes
Speaks: English*, Persian*
Studies: Swedish, Japanese

Message 22 of 43
28 November 2011 at 1:17am | IP Logged 
ellasevia wrote:
Aside from my brother occasionally calling me a terrorist and my
father asking me if I'm a secret Muslim, the most frequent reaction I got when I
mentioned to people that I study Persian is asking me why I'm learning a dead language.
Sigh.

Just came by to say that I'm Persian, and I love it when people speak and study my
language because for one, it's easier for me to say my thoughts more clearly so that's
a plus.

Also Persian is not a dead language, I'm just going to say that right now.

Excuse me for my informal language, but learning a middle eastern language is as bad
ass as it gets. Seriously, you want to take the time to learn middle eastern language
that's amazing. You people should feel bad ass for learning a mid east language,
doesn't matter what it is pashto, dari, persian, hebrew, arabic whatever.

Plus these language have sort of a rugged undertone to do, don't know if I'm saying
that right. I mean, in this world where so many things are happening, these languages
will be useful. Of course, every language is useful but I was just using that as
motivation.

Humdereel
Octoglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4788 days ago

90 posts - 349 votes 
Speaks: English, Spanish*, Arabic (Levantine), Arabic (Egyptian), Arabic (Written), Turkish, Persian, Urdu
Studies: Russian

Message 23 of 43
28 November 2011 at 1:49am | IP Logged 
ellasevia wrote:
Aside from my brother occasionally calling me a terrorist and my father asking me if I'm a secret Muslim, the most frequent reaction I got when I mentioned to people that I study Persian is asking me why I'm learning a dead language. Sigh.

That's a reaction I have encountered once as well. For some reason, people think that because the legendary Persian empire is no more, that the language is also no more.

Of course, it's as living as Arabic or Spanish or Mandarin. It's a highly rewarding language to explore.

^I like P0nd3r's comment: If you tackle a Middle Eastern language, you're nothing short of badass. Of course, this goes with any language, but you can see it in the natives' reactions to your studying of their language.

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5952 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 24 of 43
28 November 2011 at 2:32am | IP Logged 
P0nd3r wrote:
Also Persian is not a dead language, I'm just going to say that right now.

Oh yes, I know that Persian isn't a dead language. It's just that people seem to think it is because "Persia" doesn't exist anymore, as Humdereel also noted.

This discussion contains 43 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version