43 messages over 6 pages: 1 2 3 46  Next >>
prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4669 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Bulgarian, Croatian
Studies: Slovenian, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Swedish, German, Italian, Armenian, Kurdish

Message 33 of 43
29 November 2011 at 10:35pm | IP Logged 
Oh my God, how much I hate those dogs in the manger... Without them life would be better.
But, anyway, we should keep on going :)
1 person has voted this message useful

Mani
Diglot
Germany
imsprachendickicht.b
Joined 4715 days ago

258 posts - 323 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Swedish, Portuguese, Latin, Welsh, Luxembourgish

Message 34 of 43
30 November 2011 at 12:05pm | IP Logged 
@Humdereel: Sure you may ask. I'm trying to learn Kurmanji. I'm sure I'll have a look at Sorani as well when I have reached a certain level of proficiency.

Quote:
From my understanding, Kurdish seems to work like a dialect continuum.

Yes, that's what I understood, too.

To me it's really exiting. Kurdish is my first try in an Iranian language and it's amazing to see relation in some simple vocabulary to the Indo-Aryan languages I studied, though grammar is something very different ...

prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4669 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Bulgarian, Croatian
Studies: Slovenian, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Swedish, German, Italian, Armenian, Kurdish

Message 35 of 43
30 November 2011 at 6:48pm | IP Logged 
As far as I know, Kurdish has more than one type of ezāfé - a small info for people who may be interested in ;)

Humdereel
Octoglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4788 days ago

90 posts - 349 votes 
Speaks: English, Spanish*, Arabic (Levantine), Arabic (Egyptian), Arabic (Written), Turkish, Persian, Urdu
Studies: Russian

Message 36 of 43
01 December 2011 at 1:09am | IP Logged 
Mani wrote:
@Humdereel: Sure you may ask. I'm trying to learn Kurmanji. I'm sure I'll have a look at Sorani as well when I have reached a certain level of proficiency.

Quote:
From my understanding, Kurdish seems to work like a dialect continuum.

Yes, that's what I understood, too.

To me it's really exiting. Kurdish is my first try in an Iranian language and it's amazing to see relation in some simple vocabulary to the Indo-Aryan languages I studied, though grammar is something very different ...

Very interesting indeed. It's cool to know that someone is learning Kurdish. Also, may I ask what got you interested in Kurdish? For example, I found myself attracted to Arabic because I liked the elegant script and because it was exotic. How did you find out about Kurdish, and what made you decide, "Alright, Kurdish is a language I'd love to learn"?

Again, it's great that someone is tackling Kurdish. :-)

Mani
Diglot
Germany
imsprachendickicht.b
Joined 4715 days ago

258 posts - 323 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Swedish, Portuguese, Latin, Welsh, Luxembourgish

Message 37 of 43
01 December 2011 at 11:19am | IP Logged 
Humdereel wrote:
Very interesting indeed. It's cool to know that someone is learning Kurdish. Also, may I ask what got you interested in Kurdish? For example, I found myself attracted to Arabic because I liked the elegant script and because it was exotic. How did you find out about Kurdish, and what made you decide, "Alright, Kurdish is a language I'd love to learn"?

Again, it's great that someone is tackling Kurdish. :-)

Well, pure coincidence I'd say. Studying at university (South Asian studies) most of my friends did a double major in Indology and Oriental Archaeology. So hanging out with the archaeology students I met one of the Ph. D. students who is a Kurd and we became friends. And then my best friend who was several times in Syria for excavations, met on the last of those excavations a Syrian Kurdish archaeologist who is now her husband. So she started learning Kurdish and he started learning German (and he's so good by now!). I visited them last year in August and he was watching Kurdish tv (a show on architecture if I remember correctly), first time I heard Kurdish spoken for more then a few words and I instantly fell in love with the sound. So I told my friend: "Okay, I'll join you learning Kurdish."

Moving to Luxembourg last year in October I knew I had to postpone Kurdish for a while and attack French first ('cause it's not so easy to get around here without French - public authorities, banks and post offices usually offer more than one language, but trying to buy something or needing a craftsman and not speaking French really decreases your chances, at least in Luxembourg city).

So, here I am, trying to learn (more) French, Luxembourgish and Kurdish. And before you all become too excited ;-) mind that I'm a really low beginner with Kurdish. I can say as much as who I am, how old I am and where I'm from/where I live. And something like: This is an(/my) apple/Those are (my) apples.

Humdereel
Octoglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4788 days ago

90 posts - 349 votes 
Speaks: English, Spanish*, Arabic (Levantine), Arabic (Egyptian), Arabic (Written), Turkish, Persian, Urdu
Studies: Russian

Message 38 of 43
02 December 2011 at 3:08am | IP Logged 
@Mani: Very cool story as to how Kurdish appeared in your life. :-) Worry not if you're at the beginner stage: you're cool enough simply because you developed an interest in such an interesting language. :)

William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6082 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, French

Message 39 of 43
03 December 2011 at 12:39pm | IP Logged 
I encountered a Zazaki speaker recently and got him to write down some words and phrases in my notebook. Some consider Zazaki a Kurdish dialect, others think it a separate language.
One of the words he wrote was ko for "mountain". I think this is koh in Persian.

Fortwenster
Diglot
United States
Joined 4795 days ago

24 posts - 36 votes
Speaks: English*, FrenchC1
Studies: Arabic (Written)

Message 40 of 43
03 December 2011 at 4:43pm | IP Logged 
When I started learning Arabic, my family was like, "Why?" but not neccesarily in the bad way.

I just told them it interested me.

This discussion contains 43 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version