Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
20 messages over 3 pages: 1 2

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6503 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 17 of 20
03 December 2011 at 8:53pm | IP Logged 
I have picked up much of my Greek vocabulary from rather standardized guidebooks to different places in Greece - and they are not as practically orientated as for instance Lonely Planet, where you can read about the colours on the walls and bad food and places. But this fare of Greek guidebooks has left me with a bewildering lot of words for statues, ancient architecture, ancient warfare and politics, but no word for toilet paper (y'know - the white thing you shouldn't flush in Greece because the local plumbing can't take it). I do supplement the harvest from these books with words taken directly from dictionaries and from other sources which I have found on the internet, but I still have a rather lofty vocabulary in Greek. Maybe I should add some commercials next time I visit the country to learn the name of common foodstuff and household ustensils.   
1 person has voted this message useful

indiana83
Groupie
United States
ipracticecanto.wordp
Joined 5290 days ago

92 posts - 121 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Cantonese, Italian

Message 18 of 20
07 December 2011 at 8:11am | IP Logged 
vonPeterhof wrote:
However, this has not impaired my enjoyment of House M.D., so I don't feel any pressure to close this gap right now :).

I am a native English speaker and have watched alot of House episodes. I have no idea what they are saying when they start naming diseases, I tune it all out. Sometimes I think they are making it up.

I have this problem with fish. Similar to the anecode above about trees, I know lots of fish vocabulary in English having heard the words all my life, but I wouldn't be able to point to a fish and say it's name. However, I've been eating a lot of fish in Chinese restaurants, so I think I can match the fish to it's name better in Chinese than in English.

This problem can be generalized to all animals I think. I tried memorizing cat and dog breeds in Chinese, but I gave up trying to retain that vocabulary.

FuroraCeltica
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6665 days ago

1187 posts - 1427 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French

Message 19 of 20
07 December 2011 at 3:48pm | IP Logged 
I find parts of the body in French aren't my strength. I can read Le Monde from cover to cover, but struggle with body parts

SamD
Triglot
United States
Joined 6459 days ago

823 posts - 987 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: Portuguese, Norwegian

Message 20 of 20
15 December 2011 at 1:14am | IP Logged 
Many years ago, I was taking a test in French class. We took turns going one-on-one with our teacher and had to talk about pictures. I was looking at a city scene and had to talk about it in both French and English. I knew the French word for "scaffold" but not the English word and I had been speaking English for sixteen years.

I learned basic body parts in a few languages in classes but we never got rally specific, never got words like "eyelash" or even "elbow." I've never had cause to use them in any language other than English so far.

This discussion contains 20 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version