United Kingdom
Joined 5566 days ago

1197 posts - 1487 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Welsh, Russian, Japanese, Slovenian, Greek, Italian

Message 9 of 49
02 December 2011 at 2:22pm | IP Logged 
My standard answer to this question used to be - "I'm British, and here we're
considered some of the worst language-learners in the world, next to America - another
English-speaking nation. Agreed, we don't have to learn another language, but I hate
the fact that people might think of me as language-ignorant simply because I'm British,
so that's why I'm learning X, Y, Z".

Now I have slightly more specific reasons for learning my languages, as anyone who
knows me personally knows I'm a language nerd and that it was the only thing I really
excelled at in school, so already has that little speech of mine locked in their brains
as I've told them it hundreds of times. So, here we go:

English - sort of got stuck with that from birth so...

Welsh - my mum's language

French - My girlfriend's Belgian, born in Brussels, and it's just rude to ignore other
people's cultures.

German - learnt it from friends and school and is basically a part of who I am now so I
cannot give it up.

Italian - part of my heritage, enough said.

Russian - Most who know me also know about my love for history, and Russian has a
pretty prominent role in recent history. So Russian has to be on the list.

Latin - The parent language of Italian, so therefore a must have (see how these get
vaguer and vaguer as I go down the list?)

Jack
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6397 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 10 of 49
02 December 2011 at 4:24pm | IP Logged 
:O i just give the real reasons:)

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5149 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech, Spanish
Studies: Italian, Polish, Slovak, Hungarian, Toki Pona, Russian

Message 11 of 49
02 December 2011 at 5:11pm | IP Logged 
I told people that I was learning Hungarian because I was going to Hungary. The truth was that I was going to Hungary because I was learning Hungarian.
11 persons have voted this message useful

prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4659 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Bulgarian, Croatian
Studies: Slovenian, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Swedish, German, Italian, Armenian, Kurdish

Message 12 of 49
02 December 2011 at 5:17pm | IP Logged 
We should simply give answers like 'Because I want to here as brain-dead questions as yours'

fomalhaut
Groupie
United States
Joined 4703 days ago

80 posts - 101 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German

Message 13 of 49
02 December 2011 at 5:49pm | IP Logged 
geotrismegistos wrote:
I get asked a lot why i learn arabic. My answer: To meet and marry an arab girl whose father has petrols

to be honest, i essentially troll people like this all the time. Why do I learn Spanish? do chase the gardeners away (in racist parts of Arizona, this can be the only justification for learning Spanish as a white). Why learn German? to know how to operate a Panzer when the time comes. Why do I want to learn Persian or Arabic? to know our enemy better.

If you just play into peoples perceptions, or take a step further, they'll drop whatever preconceived notion they had and realize they were dumb. Imagine trying to explain rich cultures and personal fulfillment, it'd be a joke! better to just play into the most ridiculous exaggeration you can... it's fun!

Quite simply, where I come from, to learn a language is seen as 'cute' at best, and disrespectful and flag burning at worst. American exceptionalism is the worst sickness to afflict us, and it's shown in our attitude to language learning.

Edited by fomalhaut on 02 December 2011 at 5:52pm

6 persons have voted this message useful

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6382 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 14 of 49
02 December 2011 at 7:38pm | IP Logged 
Seems a lot of people will answer very rudely to people who are curious about their hobby. This makes me sad.
8 persons have voted this message useful

ljones29
Triglot
United States
Joined 4597 days ago

35 posts - 59 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: Arabic (Written), Greek

Message 15 of 49
02 December 2011 at 8:14pm | IP Logged 
prz_ wrote:
We should simply give answers like 'Because I want to here as brain-dead
questions as yours'

I guess I am unique here, but I don't really find it offensive when someone asks me why
I study French or Arabic. It's just a question to me. And like any other question, I
see it as an opportunity to help someone LEARN something by answering.
3 persons have voted this message useful

vonPeterhof
Tetraglot
Russian FederationRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4572 days ago

715 posts - 1527 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, EnglishC2, Japanese, German
Studies: Kazakh, Korean, Norwegian, Turkish

Message 16 of 49
02 December 2011 at 8:18pm | IP Logged 
Ari wrote:
Seems a lot of people will answer very rudely to people who are curious about their hobby. This makes me sad.
Having to constantly justify one's preferences to others does tend to make people touchy about such questions. Also, I'm not so sure that it's a matter of being "curious about their hobby", since it seems to me that very few "ordinary people" think of language learning as a hobby. They tend to assume that it has to have a "practical" reason behind it and might question you if they don't see what your reason could be.

In my case saying that language learning is in fact a hobby of mine has usually been enough to clarify the situation. It gets a little harder for me around my Korean relatives, who sometimes wonder why I chose Japanese over Korean. In these cases I can't think of anything to say, other than that I'm planning to take up Korean after I get my Japanese to a comfortable level. I haven't been called a "race traitor" yet, so I guess that's enough of an assurance for them :)

5 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 49 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version